COMPLETE SOLO Our Little Mexican Cousin by Edward C. Butler-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
mdunncheme

Post by mdunncheme »

Our Little Mexican Cousin, by Edward C Butler

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/our-little-mexican-cousin-by-edward-crompton-butler/
This book tells about life in Mexico in the early 20th century, through the eyes of a little girl, Juanita. As the story follows her, the reader learns about cultural pracitces, historical events, and famous landmarks. (Summary by Mike Dunn)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.loc.gov/resource/dcmsiabooks.ourlittlemexican00butl/?st=gallery

Target completion date: 2021-08-10

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Our Little Mexican Cousin. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Our Little Mexican Cousin, by Edward C Butler. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Our Little Mexican Cousin, by Edward C Butler. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Our Little Mexican Cousin, by Edward C Butler."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: ourlittlemexicancousin_##_butler_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. ourlittlemexicancousin_01_butler_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: maryannspiegel

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Mike D.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Just to let you know that there is a solo recording of this book currently in progress.

You are certainly welcome to record another version, if you like.
We welcome offering choices to our listeners, and many books do have multiple recordings.

Some people prefer to record only new material, so I thought I'd let you know.
~ Larry
NOTE: Traveling without internet until March 17
mdunncheme

Post by mdunncheme »

Oh thank you - I didn't know there was another recording in progress. I actually already have this one completed. Do I wait for someone from Librivox to be assigned to this project?
Mike D.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

I'd be happy to MC this for you. I'll get your MW set up and be back with further instructions.

Let's hope that all of your files meet LV's technical specifications ... we ask that readers upload a test file before they actually start recording just for that reason ...

MaryAnn
mdunncheme

Post by mdunncheme »

Thank you. I looked up the tech specs for exporting for Librivox from Audacity so I should be OK in that respect. I will need to add the specific Librivox disclosures, but that should be quick work. I recorded this book for a homeschool group and hadn't anticipated uploading to Librivox, but I want to get involved here so I figured this was a good place to start.

One question: is there a preferred length for each individual file? This book has relatively short chapters, but I did record each one on its own track so they can be exported and uploaded individually. The full book file is over 80 minutes, which I believe is over the allowed file size.
Mike D.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

OK, Your MW is set up.

For a solo project, you are the Book Coordinator. That means you fill out the Magic Window and post your links and times in the window when you upload your files.

You'll need to start by logging into the magic window. Instructions are in the BC How-to; and this is a more detailed version of the First Login instructions (with pictures!) Please be sure to read all of the BC How To document, as that will give you more information on your role as a BC.

Note that passwords for the magic window and the forum are not connected. You can use the same password in both places (I think a lot of people do), but if you change it on one system, it won't affect the password on the other system.

Next, you'll need to start entering section (or chapter) titles. I've entered the first couple to get you started.

When you upload a section, it's your responsibility to add the link and duration (mm:ss) to the Magic Window. Link from the uploader goes in the "listen URL" column, duration goes in the "notes" column. Then be sure to post in the thread that a new section is ready for PL so your DPL knows there is something new.

You can group chapters if you want ... maximum file length is 74 minutes. But also think about listeners. Would they like the entire book in 2 files? Or individual chapter files? You are the book coordinator, so it's for you to decide how to group them.

We may get a proof listener while we're still here on the launch pad. If not, I'll post instructions on how you can advertise for one.

Let me know if you have questions.

MaryAnn
mdunncheme

Post by mdunncheme »

MaryAnn, I have uploaded all of the files to the Magic Window. What is my next step from here?
Mike D.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

You can post an advert for a proof listener in the "Listeners and Editors Wanted" forum. Instructions and a link to the template are here: viewtopic.php?p=318668#p318668

Once it's PL'd and all sections are marked OK, then I'll take care of putting it in the catalog. If you want to do the cover yourself, you can pre-claim it here: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28785
Otherwise, once it's cataloged, covers are claimed on a first come basis.

MaryAnn
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Well, this is short enough that I can fit it into my DPL schedule, so I'd be glad to be your DPL, Mike. I've sampled a couple of sections and your reading sounds just great!

Unfortunately, however, all of these will need some modification to meet LibriVox standards.

1) Volume: The three sections that I've downloaded are too low. These three are 81-84 dB. Our target is 89 dB with an acceptable range of 86 - 91 dB. You should be able to amplify these up to get close to the 89 dB, and aim for something consistent for all of the sections. You can use this little program to check volume: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Checker It also checks other LV specs.

2) Silences: As stated in the instructions, we need 5 seconds at the beginning and about 5 seconds at the end. Some of these are over 1 sec at the beginning and too short at the end. Although the last one is too long at the end. These should be easy adjustments though.

Other than these two things, everything else seems good and the reading itself is excellent.

So if you can make these adjustments, just upload under the same file name and adjust the file lengths in the MW. If you want to do just one or two and have me check them before doing the rest, that is fine too.

Looking forward to listening! :)
~ Larry
mdunncheme

Post by mdunncheme »

Awesome, thank you so much for the feedback! I'll edit a couple of them and let you know once they're up; from there if those sound OK I'll edit and upload the rest. Shouldn't be too much work. Thanks for taking this on.
Mike D.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

silverquill wrote: August 4th, 2021, 9:52 pm
2) Silences: As stated in the instructions, we need 5 seconds at the beginning and about 5 seconds at the end. Some of these are over 1 sec at the beginning and too short at the end. Although the last one is too long at the end. These should be easy adjustments though.
I think Larry's message has a typo. Beginning silences need to be 1/2 to 1 second long, ending silences 5 seconds long.

MaryAnn
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote: August 5th, 2021, 8:55 am
silverquill wrote: August 4th, 2021, 9:52 pm
I think Larry's message has a typo. Beginning silences need to be 1/2 to 1 second long, ending silences 5 seconds long.

MaryAnn
Ooops! :oops: Yes, my mistake. Beginning is indeed 1/2 to 1 second of silence.
~ Larry
mdunncheme

Post by mdunncheme »

Larry, I've re-uploaded 00 and 01 for your review. I tried to download the checker, but the only computer I have to use for recording/editing doesn't allow .exe downloads without admin credentials (which I don't have).

I tried to normalize into acceptable range through other means and added the necessary silence to the beginning and end. Let me know if this checks the necessary boxes; if not, I'll go through the approval process to get the checker downloaded, just might take a few days.
Mike D.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

As long as you don't have a lot of spikes on your wave files (which would introduce clipping if amplified), I can adjust volume when I catalog.

MaryAnn
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

mdunncheme wrote: August 5th, 2021, 11:10 am Larry, I've re-uploaded 00 and 01 for your review. I tried to download the checker, but the only computer I have to use for recording/editing doesn't allow .exe downloads without admin credentials (which I don't have).

I tried to normalize into acceptable range through other means and added the necessary silence to the beginning and end. Let me know if this checks the necessary boxes; if not, I'll go through the approval process to get the checker downloaded, just might take a few days.
Ah! Well the volume is better and the Preface comes in at 87.9 dB which right in the range. Section 1 at 85.4 still a but under. But if MaryAnn can adjust these at the end, then I think this will work. Or, I can correct them easily as well. The silences are fine now.

Most importantly, the reading is just excellent. And nice to hear good Spanish pronunciation.
So, I've marked these PL OK, and look forward to checking and listening to the rest.
~ Larry