COMPLETE Scripture Texts with Expositions from Calvin's Commentaries on the Minor Prophets, by Calvin-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Scripture Texts with Expositions and Sentence-prayers from Calvin's Commentaries on the Minor Prophets, by John Calvin (1509 - 1564)

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/expositions-and-prayers-minor-prophets-by-john-calvin/
The prayers of John Calvin, however, have received little attention, as compared with the fame which crowns his theological writings. His commentaries upon Jeremiah, Ezekiel, Daniel, and the minor prophets were originally delivered in the form of lectures, each followed by appropriate petitions. Both lectures and prayers were extemporaneous. In his epistle dedicatory, prefaced to the commentary upon the minor prophets, and addressed to the King of Sweden, Calvin says: "Had it been in my power I would rather have tried to prevent the wider circulation of that extemporaneous kind of teaching, intended for the particular benefit of my auditory, and with which benefit I was abundantly satisfied." John Budaeus, in another preface, piously exhorts that we pray for the Spirit of God, that we may come to the reading of Scripture instructed by him. "And for this end," he says, "much help may be given us by the short prayers which we have taken care to add at the close of every lecture as gathered by us with the same care and fidelity as the lectures were; and the ignorant may also have in these a pattern, as it were, painted before them, by which they may form their prayers from the words of Scripture. For as at the beginning of the lectures he ever used the same form of prayer, so he was wont ever to finish every lecture by a new prayer formed at the time, as given him by the Spirit of God, and accommodated to the subject of the lecture." (Summary from the Introduction)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/scripturetextswi00calv/page/n4/mode/1up

Target completion date: 2021-07-31

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Scripture Texts with Expositions and Sentence-prayers from Calvin's Commentaries on the Minor Prophets. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Scripture Texts with Expositions and Sentence-prayers from Calvin's Commentaries on the Minor Prophets, by John Calvin. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Scripture Texts with Expositions and Sentence-prayers from Calvin's Commentaries on the Minor Prophets, by John Calvin. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Scripture Texts with Expositions and Sentence-prayers from Calvin's Commentaries on the Minor Prophets, by John Calvin."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: prayersminorprophets_##_calvin_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. prayersminorprophets_01_calvin_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: maryannspiegel

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by InTheDesert on July 26th, 2021, 1:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
American Trials Vol. 3 95% 5 left!
Female Scripture Characters by William Jay (1769 - 1853) 93% 2 left!
Devotional Commentary: Apocalypse 85%
Emotions
PL pls: DPL DPL 43 27-28
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

I thought that since we're under 100 projects for this month, I should pull out this one which is pre-recorded except for the intros. Each section is around 15 mins so it'll be quick to edit and PL and should be done before the end of July!

I just wanted to check whether I am allowed to not use section 'numbers' but instead use the book names for easy reference. The section titles would be:
Hosea
Joel
Amos
Obadiah and Jonah
Micah
Nahum and Habakkuk
Zephaniah
Haggai
Zechariah
Malachi
Emotions
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

ITD,

I'd be happy to MC and PL this for you. I'll get your MW set up.

We include the section numbers in the intros so that those who are listening, or who are unable to read a display, can quickly hear what section they are on. So I'd prefer that you include the section numbers in your intros. I don't think you need to include the exposition numbers in the intros ...

MaryAnn
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote: July 25th, 2021, 11:32 am ITD,

I'd be happy to MC and PL this for you. I'll get your MW set up.

We include the section numbers in the intros so that those who are listening, or who are unable to read a display, can quickly hear what section they are on. So I'd prefer that you include the section numbers in your intros. I don't think you need to include the exposition numbers in the intros ...

MaryAnn
Ok, I'm fine with numbers. I'll have these up in a few hours once I've recorded the intros.
Emotions
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

All done. I've reached the upper limit of what I can do towards 100 projects this month haha.
Emotions
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

OK, great. I'll listen in the next few days. I have one that I need to record a couple of sections for to contribute to the total as well ...

MaryAnn
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

ITD,
On section 1, at about 0.30 - please delete "end of section 1"
Same comment for section 3 at about 0.20.

MaryAnn
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote: July 26th, 2021, 1:14 pm ITD,
On section 1, at about 0.30 - please delete "end of section 1"
Same comment for section 3 at about 0.20.

MaryAnn
Spot checks at 0:30 (1) and 0:15 (3). It ended before it began.
Emotions
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

ITD,
Please check section 6 at 10.38. I hear a repeat of "that our salvation is in God's hand" but I'm not sure if it is intentional, or an editing issue.
MaryAnn
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Remaining sections are PL OK.
MaryAnn
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote: July 28th, 2021, 8:28 am ITD,
Please check section 6 at 10.38. I hear a repeat of "that our salvation is in God's hand" but I'm not sure if it is intentional, or an editing issue.
MaryAnn
Rectified! Spot check at 10:35
Emotions
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

And final section is PL OK. Off to the catalog!

MaryAnn
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/expositions-and-prayers-minor-prophets-by-john-calvin/