[COMPLETE] The Bobbsey Twins on Blueberry Island - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Nedge

Post by Nedge »

The Bobbsey Twins on Blueberry Island, by Laura Lee Hope

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-bobbsey-twins-on-blueberry-island-by-laura-lee-hope/
The Bobbsey twins are off to spend a summer full of fun and adventures on Blueberry Island. They will encounter a cave, and gypsies, and other things I won't tell you about. You can find out by listening to this book! (Summary by Nan Dodge)
As with many children's books written during this time in history, there are racial stereotypes that would not pass muster today. To edit them out would be to erase history, so I'm reading the book, as is. There is a "Fat black mammy" named Dinah, and gypsies (of undetermined geographical origin) who naturally steal because they don't know any better. These stereotypes can act as a good springboard for educating your child on how far we have come, and how far we still need to go, to erase racism altogether. -- Nan Dodge

Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/20311

Target completion date: 2021-10-20

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Bobbsey Twins on Blueberry Island. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The Bobbsey Twins on Blueberry Island, by Laura Lee Hope. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Bobbsey Twins on Blueberry Island, by Laura Lee Hope. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Bobbsey Twins on Blueberry Island, by Laura Lee Hope."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: bobbseytwinsonblueberryisland_##_hope_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. bobbseytwinsonblueberryisland_01_hope_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: TriciaG

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by Nedge on August 4th, 2021, 5:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Ready, willing, and vaguely competent." -- Sandra Boynton, 2021
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Good choice! I'll set this up for you. 8-)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

Do you need a DPL? If so, I'm willing. I had this book when I was growing up. :)

M
Nedge

Post by Nedge »

I would love for you to be the DPL!!

(I've got password troubles. I made a list of chapters to insert into the MW and am having trouble getting in. I'm away from home for two days in a strange Air BNB with a snoring dolphin in the other adjoining room who looks like Santa Claus, and no microphone. (I wouldn't be able to edit out the dolphin sounds anyhow.)

Oh, and I brought new yarn for a new project. My gadgets, the pattern, EVERYTHING. But no knitting needles.
Nedge

Post by Nedge »

Okay, so as far as I know my user name is Nedge. I have a long, computer-generated password which I use to get into the forum, but it's not the password for being a BC Admin and messing with the MW. So it asks me to put in my user name so I can change the password. When I do, dumps that long password in and says "Ding dong, you're wrong. Start over."

I'm in need of technical assistance. Philchenevert wearing a cape and tights with the letter "L" perhaps??

GOT IT! GOT IT! GOT IT!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

mleigh is in as DPL, and I guess I was away long enough for you to figure out the MW login. :lol:

Moving to Going Solo!
Nedge

Post by Nedge »

I've got four chapters read, and I am fixing them now. The book is a minefield of racist stereotypes, which I should have expected. (I believe that some of these were eliminated when G&D edited and shortened the books in the 60s.) Here is the disclaimer I put in. If it's too much, please put in something that is better suited:
As with many children's books written during this time in history, there are racial stereotypes that would not pass muster today. To edit them out would be to erase history, so I'm reading the book, as is. There is a "Fat black mammy" named Dinah, and gypsies (of undetermined geographical origin) who naturally steal because they don't know any better. These stereotypes can act as a good springboard for educating your child on how far we have come, and how far we still need to go, to erase racism altogether. -- Nan Dodge
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I think that sounds great. I'll add it in to the database. :)
Nedge

Post by Nedge »

Can someone look at this file and determine what the heck I did to screw it up (and the other three chapters I recorded)? The volume as I listen is minimal, yet I have volume up to 100%. Is there something I hit by accident? (I only fixed the first little bit since if I screwed up the chapters and have to record them again, I don't want to spend time fixing these.)

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/bobbseytwinsonblueberryisland_01_hope_128kb.mp3
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

The volume is fine, aside from the pause at about 0:23-0:37 which just looks like something to cut out, and the long silence-with-clicks at the end.

I did a quick check of part of the audio, and it sounds fine to me.
Nedge

Post by Nedge »

Yep there's lots of editing to do, I just meant the volume. Must be something on my computer. Thanks.
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

Chapters 1, 2, and 3 are PL OK. Good job. :)

Here are the notes on Chapter 4:

There are three lengthy silences that should be shortened and six repeated sections where the first version should be deleted. At least, they are all easy fixes. I much prefer removing stuff to adding it.

2:28 "I don't either" repeated at 2:30
3:36-3:42 shorten silence
4:08 "do you think we'll f..." repeated at 4:10
4:59 "By this time they had entered the gypsy" repeated at 5:03
6:53 "we could get her," repeated at 6:56
7:32 -7:41 shorten silence
8:16 "for the man who owns the land" repeated at 8:18
10:43-10:46 shorten silence
10:46 "I'll help you get it back" repeated at 10:49

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

M
Nedge

Post by Nedge »

I'm slipping. Maybe I didn't fully fix Chapter 4 before uploading!!! Sheesh.
Nedge

Post by Nedge »

That's exactly what happened. I didn't edit this one. Here is Chapter 4:

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/bobbseytwinsonblueberryisland_04_hope_128kb.mp3 11:44