COMPLETE [FOLK HIST] Slave Narratives: a Folk History of Slavery in the US, Vol 11-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

Ok, I confess to being confused as well. Could you please put in an example of what you want? that should make it clearer. I plan to pick up a few sections once a get a chance to peruse the book a little. Also, since I just finished PLing one book and have a couple almost done, if you still need a DPL, I'll do it unless you have someone else in mind.

Thanks,

M

This looks like a worthy project albeit a long one.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

mleigh wrote: June 22nd, 2021, 10:20 am Ok, I confess to being confused as well. Could you please put in an example of what you want? that should make it clearer. I plan to pick up a few sections once a get a chance to peruse the book a little. Also, since I just finished PLing one book and have a couple almost done, if you still need a DPL, I'll do it unless you have someone else in mind.

Thanks,

M

This looks like a worthy project albeit a long one.
About to leave for work (that is walking across the room) so I'll see what I can do to clarify the reading instructions.

I would be thrilled to have you as DPL again. :9:
~ Larry
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

M - you have MW access.
Larry - when you update the intro, I would delete "various" as the author. Not necessary, since the section title (read immediately after) includes the author's name.
MaryAnn
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

silverquill wrote: June 22nd, 2021, 8:04 am
Kazbek wrote: June 22nd, 2021, 6:03 am Larry, I could take 64, if you help me figure out the editorial instructions.

Michael
Sure. This one is straight forward since there is nothing at the beginning except the name. Others have other material in the beginning such as, "Ex-Slave Story An interview with William Sykes 78, of State prison, Raleigh, N.C." But, I see that I need to revise that part of the instructions to make it clearer. Also, do NOT read the internal TR and HW notes, since they are not necessary to the spoken narrative. I'll add that as well.

Thanks for your interest in this project, Michael.

PS: Let me know if you think the changes I made to the instructions are clear enough now.
Thank you, Larry. Sorry, I wasn't clear. I haven't looked at the project instructions yet. I was referring to the editorial instructions in the source:
[HW: m p. 6] [TR: Editor indicated three paragraphs on page 6 (page 322 of the volume) should have been moved here.]
[TR: The editor indicated with lines that the following three paragraphs should be moved to page 2 of this interview (page 318 of the volume).]
[HW: —— Insert from p. 6.]
These seem to be two sets of contradictory instructions from two different editors. They agree on moving the three paragraphs, but not on the destination. I may be misunderstanding.

Michael
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Sticking my nose in here again:

The way I read it is that these three paragraphs:

"When I was a child I played marbles, 'Hail over', and bandy, a game played like golf. In striking the ball we knocked it at each other. Before we hit the ball we would cry, 'Shins, I cry', then we would knock the ball at our playmates. Sometime we used rocks for balls.

"We got Christmas holidays from Christmas to New Years day. This was also a time when slaves were hired out or sold. You were often put on the auction block at Christmas. There was a whipping post, an auction block, and jail located on Court House Square where the news stand is now located on Fayetteville Street. There was a well in the yard.

"We were treated by doctors when sick. We were given lots of herbs."

should have been inserted into the spot where the first "editor's note" is. The instructions in the second one say:

[TR: The editor indicated with lines that the following three paragraphs should be moved to page 2 of this interview (page 318 of the volume).]

The above three paragraphs are the ones referred to here, and page 318 is where the first editor's note is. (page numbers in [ ] on the right side of the page)

Wayne
Wayne
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public. :mrgreen:
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Thanks for everyone's input. :9:

I think too much in the instructions was confusing, so I've simplified it. Let me know if you think this is clear enough.
And, I've dropped "by Various" from the intro.

Wayne, as far as the editor notes are concerned, your guess is as good as mine.
:wink:
I've put a note in the instructions to ignore those notes, just to keep things simple, but I don't think they occur often. For this section, I'll leave it to your discretion. I'm fine if you just ignore them and read the narrative straight through , but if you want to move those three paragraphs where indicated, you certainly may. Just indicate that when you submit the file to give our DPL a heads up.
~ Larry
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Thanks for your help, Larry and Wayne!

Michael
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Well, I'm going to kick this off with Section 1
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/slavenarrativesvol11pt2_01_various_128kb.mp3 9:26

I've used a longer intro for this initial section so there is extra stuff there.

Some of the parenthetical elements where the interviewer mad clarifications make it sound like repeats, but they aren't.

Let me know how it sounds.
~ Larry
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

silverquill wrote: July 6th, 2021, 9:12 am Well, I'm going to kick this off with Section 1
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/slavenarrativesvol11pt2_01_various_128kb.mp3 9:26

I've used a longer intro for this initial section so there is extra stuff there.

Some of the parenthetical elements where the interviewer mad clarifications make it sound like repeats, but they aren't.

OK, I confess I am still confused. You read the interviewee's name and address but not the rest of the stuff at the start of the section. Is that something I should expect in all the sections? I'm assuming all that extra stuff you read is ok. The flow was fine.

I'll give your reading a PL OK even though you inserted a word - "all fine ladies as officers" as it sounds like something he would have said.

Thanks,

M
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

mleigh wrote: July 6th, 2021, 5:38 pm
silverquill wrote: July 6th, 2021, 9:12 am Well, I'm going to kick this off with Section 1

OK, I confess I am still confused. You read the interviewee's name and address but not the rest of the stuff at the start of the section. Is that something I should expect in all the sections? I'm assuming all that extra stuff you read is ok. The flow was fine.

I'll give your reading a PL OK even though you inserted a word - "all fine ladies as officers" as it sounds like something he would have said.

Thanks,

M
Yes, I did in this case only because in most of the others the name and address is given in the text itself.
But, that is part of the issue -- the inconsistency in the way these are written up. And, when we get to the other volumes there is even more variation. I'm trying my best to keep this simple for readers. Thanks for the PL, and I'll look at that extra word. :)
~ Larry
ComfortKC

Post by ComfortKC »

Newbie here. I would like to read Section 2. Thanks.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

ComfortKC wrote: July 9th, 2021, 1:54 pm Newbie here. I would like to read Section 2. Thanks.
Glad to have your debut in this project.

We have some special instructions for this project, so please read them all.
Then, let me know how you would like to be listed in the LV catalog -- real name, pseudonym or any nickname you wish. This is how you will be credited for all of your LV work.

As soon as you have your "OK" on your test recording, so you're sure you have all of your settings correct, you are free to record this section for us.
~ Larry
ComfortKC

Post by ComfortKC »

Thanks. As soon as I get the final OK, I will get started. For the LV catalog, I am going to use my real name: Kevin Waters
ComfortKC

Post by ComfortKC »

silverquill

Post by silverquill »

ComfortKC wrote: July 15th, 2021, 11:52 am https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/slavenarrativesvol11pt2_02_various_128kb.mp3 7:30

Here is my first attempt. Thanks.

Kevin Waters
Thank you, Kevin!
Stand by for your proof listening report.
~ Larry