~[POETRY] Poems of American Patriotism, Brander Matthews, Ed. -jo

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
FletchersIceIsland

Post by FletchersIceIsland » May 13th, 2021, 8:25 pm

Poems of American Patriotism, by Brander Matthews, Editor (1952-1929)

Volunteers outside the USA: Some of the authors of the poems in this collection may still be protected by copyright in countries where copyright duration is determined by the author's death date. In Europe this is 70 years; in Canada it is 50 years; and in Australia it is 70 years for authors who died after 1955.
This book is a collection of patriotic poems by many authors. (Summary by Hannah Shaver)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/6316

Target completion date: 2023-05-10

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project: Poetry

Keywords that describe the book: patriotic poems collection

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section # of Poems of American Patriotism. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Poems of American Patriotism selected by Brander Matthews, Editor Poem Title by Author."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section # of Poems of American Patriotism, selected by Brander Matthews, Editor. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Poem Title by Author."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Poems of American Patriotism, selected by Brander Matthews, Editor."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: poemsamericanpatriotism_##_matthews_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. poemsamericanpatriotism_01_matthews_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: knotyouraveragejo

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.

knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo » May 14th, 2021, 10:23 am

Hi Hannah. Welcome to LibriVox.

This looks like a good choice for a first solo.

However, before starting a solo project, please complete and get an OK on a one-minute test to check your technical settings. It's not an audition, but to simply confirm that your files meet our requirements. Post your test in the Listeners Wanted Forum and an experienced LVer will have a listen and check the specs for you. It would be a shame to record a whole section, only to have to redo it because of some simple setting that is incorrect.

1-Minute Test

Also as a new reader, we strongly recommend that you record a section or two in group projects before embarking on a solo, so that you can get a sense of the amount of time and effort a commitment to a solo recording would entail, as well as become a little familiar with the community here and our process for submitting files, prooflistening, etc. As a soloist, you will be responsible not only for recording and editing all the sections, but you will also be your own book coordinator (BC) which means you will be responsible for entering all the information (titles, time, links) into the workflow system.

Meanwhile, this thread may be moved to Book Suggestions once you have seen this post.

With respect to this particular book, we do not typically list the authors of every individual poem as authors of the book. In this case the editor of the book, Brander Matthews would be used. Including some of the more notable contributors in the summary and the individual authors of each poem in the titles that will go in the MW would be the way to do this. (e.g., Boston by Ralph Waldo Emerson) I've edited the top post accordingly.
Jo
My Librivox Solos
Books are the carriers of civilization. Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill. - Barbara Tuchman

knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo » May 18th, 2021, 11:15 am

You really should wait until an MC officially adopts the project and you have a MW before you upload files. I'm willing to MC for you and will get it set up in the database, but please review the following before uploading any more files.

Since this will be your first project as soloist/book coordinator(BC), you will need to set up a password for access to the workflow system so you can enter the information into the section compiler which then appears in the "Magic Window" in the top post. Here are some links to detailed instructions for logging into the system and setting a password the first time, as well as for entering and editing information in the section compiler.

First Time Logging in to the Workflow

Instructions for BCs and DPLs

A version of the above is also in the LibriVox wiki in case you can't access Google Docs for some reason.

BCs - How to Update the Magic Window

If you have any questions, let me know. I'll leave this thread here in the Launch Pad for a day or so longer before I move it to the Going Solo forum, to see if a DPL (Dedicated Prooflistener) volunteers. Looking forward to working with you.
Jo
My Librivox Solos
Books are the carriers of civilization. Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill. - Barbara Tuchman

knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo » May 18th, 2021, 11:32 am

Filenames should follow the format shown in the first post and should be all lower case. The filename for the above poem should therefore be the following -

poemsamericanpatriotism_01_matthews_128kb.mp3
Jo
My Librivox Solos

FletchersIceIsland

Post by FletchersIceIsland » May 18th, 2021, 7:19 pm

Hi! Sorry for bothering you, but I was just a bit confused on if I am supposed to add the MP3 link to the metadata section?

knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo » May 18th, 2021, 9:37 pm

You need to enter the titles of the sections in the first column, the length of each section in the Notes column and the link to the uploaded mp3 in the Listen URL column. Use the dropdown in the Status column to change the status from Assigned to Ready For PL when you add a section. I'll do the first one for you as an example.

If by the metadata, you mean to the ID3 tag data, you can leave that blank. The tags are added when the project is cataloged based on the information entered into the MW.
Jo
My Librivox Solos

FletchersIceIsland

Post by FletchersIceIsland » May 19th, 2021, 2:01 pm

I just added poem 2, but every time I try to make the link visible, it disappears. I was just wondering if I have to make sure the link is visible or if I can just leave it as it is. The link is there if you click the magnifying glass icon and go to the section under the Duration and Author box.

knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo » May 19th, 2021, 2:51 pm

You are putting the links and time in the wrong place. Do not click on the magnifying glass. Just copy the link you get from the uploader, click in the column titled Listen URL and paste it there, then hit enter to save it. Click in the Notes column and type in the length of the file in the text box that opens, then click the Save button beneath it to save it.

You do not need to add anything to the metadata for this project. Those fields are populated when the project is cataloged.
Jo
My Librivox Solos

FletchersIceIsland

Post by FletchersIceIsland » May 20th, 2021, 12:28 pm

I am still confused on how to add the link part in the link column. The guide wasn't clear on that.

knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo » May 20th, 2021, 1:38 pm

Note sure what isn't clear about this - It is essentially the same as entering the titles, just in a different column of the section compiler.

Click in the in the Listen URL column in the appropriate row. (This is the column directly to the right of the Notes column.)

A data box will open

Click in it and Paste in the url of your recording that you copied from the uploader

Hit Enter to Save
Jo
My Librivox Solos

FletchersIceIsland

Post by FletchersIceIsland » May 21st, 2021, 5:00 pm

Oh! Thank you so much for that. What wasn't clear was that they didn't mention that you need to hit the enter key. I am so sorry for bothering you about this. I just uploaded the file.

knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo » May 21st, 2021, 5:39 pm

No problem. Glad we got it sorted out. :)
Jo
My Librivox Solos

knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo » May 22nd, 2021, 11:45 am

Moving this thread to Going Solo. Meanwhile, I will post a Listeners Wanted thread for you in Listeners Wanted.
Jo
My Librivox Solos

jordanbarkin

Post by jordanbarkin » May 22nd, 2021, 1:30 pm

0:24: "looked eastward up from the farms", the line in the poem did not have the word up
0:45: "the way that rocked", should be "the waves that rocked"
0:49: "to their secret told", should be "to them their secret told"
0:51: line starting with "said the winds", kind of mumbled
1:31: line starting with "a union then", stuttered
Stanza starting with "The wild rose" is kind of clunky and stuttered, the stanzas previous to it were said much clearer
1:54: "what care through", should be "what care though"
2:07: "with up your towns", should be "up with your towns"
2:22: "where roads", should be "whose roads
2:25: skipped the word "moat"
3:12: skipped the word "low" in "low on their wooden bench"
3:37: "throughout the world", should be "through all the world"

Overall, very good! Just some things that could be fixed.