Complete [SOLO] Epistles of Cyprian by Cyprian-ag

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
dronald

Post by dronald »

Epistles of Cyprian, by Cyprian (c. 200 - 258), translated by Robert Wallis (1855 - 1932)
Little is known of the early history of Thascius Cyprian (born probably about 200 A.D.) until the period of his intimacy with the Carthaginian presbyter Cæcilius, which led to his conversion A.D. 246. That he was born of respectable parentage, and highly educated for the profession of a rhetorician, is all that can be said with any degree of certainty. At his baptism he assumed the name of his friend Cæcilius, and devoted him self, with all the energies of an ardent and vigorous mind, to the study and practice of Christianity.

His ordination and his elevation to the episcopate rapidly followed his conversion. With some resistance on his own part, and not without great objections on the part of older presbyters, who saw themselves superseded by his promotion, the popular urgency constrained him to accept the office of bishop of Carthage [A.D. 248], which he held until his martyrdom [A.D. 258].

The writings of Cyprian, apart from their intrinsic worth, have a very considerable historical interest and value, as illustrating the social and religious feelings and usages that then prevailed among the members of the Christian community. Nothing can enable us more vividly to realize the intense convictions-the high-strained enthusiasm which formed the common level of the Christian experience, than does the indignation with which the prelate denounces the evasions of those who dared not confess, the lapses of those who shrank from martyrdom. Living in the atmosphere of persecution, and often in the immediate presence of a lingering death, the professors of Christianity were nerved up to a wonderful contempt of suffering and of worldly enjoyment, and saw every event that occurred around them in the glow of their excited imagination; so that many circumstances were sincerely believed and honestly recorded, which will not be for a moment received as true by the calm and critical reader. The account given by Cyprian in his treatise on the Lapsed may serve as an illustration, p. 368, vol. i. Of this Dean Milman observes: "In what a high wrought state of enthusiasm must men have been, who could relate and believe such statements as miraculous!" (Summary by the translator)
• This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/epistles-of-cyprian-by-saint-cyprian-of-carthage/

Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/AnteNiceneChristianLibraryV08/page/n21/mode/1up

Target completion date: 2021-07-20

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Religion/Christianity - Other

Keywords that describe the book: church history, Church Fathers, early church

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Epistle # of Epistles of Cyprian. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Epistles of Cyprian, by Cyprian, translated by Robert Wallis. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Epistle # of Epistles of Cyprian, by Cyprian, translated by Robert Wallis. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of epistle #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Epistles of Cyprian, by Cyprian, translated by Robert Wallis."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: epistlesofcyprian_##_cyprian_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. epistlesofcyprian_01_cyprian_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: alg1001

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by dronald on June 5th, 2022, 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
dronald

Post by dronald »

Hello!

There are a total of 82 Epistles of Cyprian, but it's not as daunting as it may seem at first. Some of his Epistles (or letters) here are only a page or two long. Some even a paragraph or so. So for anyone who's interested in PL, it's not as crazy as it may look at first!

I also think that reading "The Life and Passion of Cyprian, Bishop and Martyr" by Pontius the Deacon as the preface would serve well for a project such as this. The translator put Pontius's work before the letters, and it is usually listed with Cyprian's works. "Pontius the Deacon" was a Deacon who served under Cyprian and was even present during his martyrdom. It also gives account of what would later be called the "Cyprian plague" after Cyprian who wrote about it in detail.

I'm pondering whether I should read each "Argument" that seems to be a summary of what Cyprian wrote about. I like the idea of reading straight from Cyprian without a summary from someone 1800 years later. I honestly can't decide if I should read that portion or not so I am open to suggestions. On one hand, it's what the translator put there and it could be helpful, but on the other hand, I like going straight to the words of the original author. Thoughts?
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Donald,
I will MC this for you. Usually we want to read the text as it is so I think the arguments would be included.
I'll leave you here for a bit for a potential proof listener to find you.
Thanks,
Amy
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
dronald

Post by dronald »

alg1001 wrote: April 21st, 2021, 7:21 am Hi Donald,
I will MC this for you. Usually we want to read the text as it is so I think the arguments would be included.
I'll leave you here for a bit for a potential proof listener to find you.
Thanks,
Amy
Great, thank you.

I was hoping someone would come along and say I have to do it because I couldn't decide.
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Donald,
I'll move you to Going Solo. If a proof listener doesn't come along, we can advertise for one.
Have a good night!
-Amy
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
wib66

Post by wib66 »

Happy to DPL on this one
Michele
When you're having what you feel like is a 'bad day' and then someone comes along out of nowhere and extends to you the simplest of kind gestures, you feel it so deeply within your heart.” ―Miya Yamanouchi
dronald

Post by dronald »

wib66 wrote: April 25th, 2021, 1:57 pm Happy to DPL on this one
Thank you! This should be lots of fun.

I have the Preface by Pontius the Deacon ready for PL as well as Epistle 42 so far. I don't think I'll always do everything chronologically, only because it will be nice to knock down one or two short letters when I have time to do so.

I have a brand new microphone so I hope you like the new sound!
dronald

Post by dronald »

I noticed Cyprian was already in the catalogue before I started this, simply named "Cyprian".

I notice with others however (Saint Augustine of Hippo, Origen of Alexandria, etc) the longer version of their name is used.

Should this be the case for Saint Cyprian of Carthage?
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi,
I agree. I updated him in the catalog now.
Thanks,
-Amy
wib66

Post by wib66 »

dronald wrote: April 25th, 2021, 6:45 pm

I have the Preface by Pontius the Deacon ready for PL as well as Epistle 42 so far. I don't think I'll always do everything chronologically, only because it will be nice to knock down one or two short letters when I have time to do so.

Thanks these are queued for PL
Michele
When you're having what you feel like is a 'bad day' and then someone comes along out of nowhere and extends to you the simplest of kind gestures, you feel it so deeply within your heart.” ―Miya Yamanouchi
dronald

Post by dronald »

wib66 wrote: April 27th, 2021, 1:02 pm
dronald wrote: April 25th, 2021, 6:45 pm

Thanks these are queued for PL
Thank you! Section 26 is up for PL as well.

I have a question about Librivox etiquette that's been on my mind. For works such as this, where the sections may only be a few minutes, would you prefer that I post every time there's an update or will you just check the MW?

I may have streaks where I post 1-3 sections a day, but there will be days when I may post none. However I don't know if you'd like me constantly bumping the forum to let you know or if it's implied that I'll be updating as I go along.

I don't know if it seems rude if I post a section and bump the forum, and then post another section later that day and bump the forum again? How do people usually go about this here?
wib66

Post by wib66 »

It's really up to you however you would like to do it. I am happy for you to do either. I check all my allocated threads everyday anyway so whatever is easiest for you. Maybe when you upload the last on of that day just put a post in the thread that there are more to PL thanks
Michele
wib66

Post by wib66 »

00, 26 and 42 are PL OK
Michele
dronald

Post by dronald »

wib66 wrote: May 1st, 2021, 4:59 pm 00, 26 and 42 are PL OK
Thank you. I'll just post any time I feel like I'm done for a day when I get around to a recording or two.

Epistle 02 is ready for PL!
wib66

Post by wib66 »

dronald wrote: May 2nd, 2021, 5:48 pm
wib66 wrote: May 1st, 2021, 4:59 pm 00, 26 and 42 are PL OK
Thank you. I'll just post any time I feel like I'm done for a day when I get around to a recording or two.

Epistle 02 is ready for PL!
That's great thanks
Michele