THE TALE OF BUNNY COTTON-TAIL by LAURA ROUNTREE SMITH - philc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
fromdehart

Post by fromdehart »

THE TALE OF BUNNY COTTON-TAIL, by Laura Rountree Smith (1876 - 1924)

This project can now be found in our catalog at https://librivox.org/the-tale-of-bunny-cotton-tail-by-laura-rountree-smith/
Little Bunny Cotton-tail is a very naughty bunny. He runs away, he won't go to school, and he keeps nibbling on Farmer Jones' cabbage! Mother Bunny will have to ask for help to get her little bunny to behave. (Summary by Patrice DeHart)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/64982

Target completion date: 2021-06-01

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
  • Project Code: eZundY02
  • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available):
  • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): none
  • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 7
  • Does the project have an introduction or preface: No
  • Original publication date (if known): 1904
  • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
  • Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:

Genres for the project: Children's Fiction/Animals & Nature

Keywords that describe the book: children's literature, Friendship, children's poetry, conduct of life, rabbits, parent and child

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of THE TALE OF BUNNY COTTON-TAIL. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "THE TALE OF BUNNY COTTON-TAIL, by Laura Rountree Smith. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of THE TALE OF BUNNY COTTON-TAIL, by Laura Rountree Smith. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of THE TALE OF BUNNY COTTON-TAIL, by Laura Rountree Smith."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: thetaleofbunnycottontail_##_rountreesmith_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. thetaleofbunnycottontail_01_rountreesmith_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: philchenevert

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by fromdehart on April 14th, 2021, 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I’m not superstitious, but I am a little stitious.” :roll:
fromdehart

Post by fromdehart »

I was only able to find info on Laura Rountree Smith here:
https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Page:Woman%27s_who%27s_who_of_America,_1914-15.djvu/748

SMITH, Laura Rountree, Platteville, Wis.

Author; b. Chicago, 111.. July, 1876; dau. George Potts and Laura (Rountree) Smith; grad. Platte- ville Normal School, June, 1897. Became department editor in Kindergarten Primary Magazine and the Musical Observer in 1912, Teachers' Magazine, 1913. Favors woman suffrage. Author: Tale of Bunny Cotton-Tail; Little Eskimo; Little Bear; Hawk Eye; The Circus Book; The Roly- Poly Book; Games and Plays; Primary Language and Year Book; Thirty Musical Games and Recreations for Young Musicians. Regular con- trihutor to the Musician and most of the leading teachers' magazines; occasional contributor to the Youths' Companion.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

I will set this up for you. :thumbs: In the meantime, please put a description of the book into the 'description' area. What is there now is just tags. Say something about the story and Bunny Cottontail. Since this is your first solo, please ask if you need any help.
EDIT: To advertise for a DPL, just put a tilde ~ in front of the title.
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
fromdehart

Post by fromdehart »

philchenevert wrote: April 14th, 2021, 8:31 pm I will set this up for you. :thumbs: In the meantime, please put a description of the book into the 'description' area. What is there now is just tags. Say something about the story and Bunny Cottontail. Since this is your first solo, please ask if you need any help.
EDIT: To advertise for a DPL, just put a tilde ~ in front of the title.
Thanks, Phil! I will have to write a summary since I couldn't find one anywhere. :)
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Thanks, Phil! I will have to write a summary since I couldn't find one anywhere.
Actually we always do write our own or quote from the author to avoid any copyright problems. Everything we do must be in the public domain and quoting someone else's review might endanger that. Besides it's fun to write about our books, right?
loon

Post by loon »

A bunny book! Are you searching for a proof listener?
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

loon wrote: April 15th, 2021, 7:28 pm A bunny book! Are you searching for a proof listener?
Yes, a bunny book Rich! I will let the soloist have the final approval of course but thanks for joining us.
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Rats,

Missed the DPL by a little over an hour.

Rich, you will love Patrice's work.

Have fun,

Wayne
Wayne
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public. :mrgreen:
loon

Post by loon »

Kalamareader wrote: April 15th, 2021, 8:52 pm Rich, you will love Patrice's work.
Patrice, if you've worked with Wayne before (or suchlike) I won't be upset if you pass on my offer. Pick whichever of us best suits your needs.
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Rich,

That was just a comment. I know you have done quite a bit of DPLing, I didn't mean to step on your toes.

Wayne
Wayne
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public. :mrgreen:
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

The soloist has not returned for about 5 days but we have a DPL so I will move this to Going Solo. :D
fromdehart

Post by fromdehart »

philchenevert wrote: April 19th, 2021, 10:23 am The soloist has not returned for about 5 days but we have a DPL so I will move this to Going Solo. :D
Hello Phil, Rich, and Wayne!

Hope you are all well! Bunny Cotton-Tail and I haven't been getting any notifications so I apologize for not replying sooner. I would be happy to work with Rich as DPL. (Wayne was my first and will always have a special place in my heart, of course! :D )

Here is Chapter 1:
https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/thetaleofbunnycottontail_01_rountreesmith_128kb.mp3

Length: 04:05

Mother Cotton-Tail (aka Patrice)
loon

Post by loon »

fromdehart wrote: May 5th, 2021, 1:01 pm Hello Phil, Rich, and Wayne!

Hope you are all well! Bunny Cotton-Tail and I haven't been getting any notifications so I apologize for not replying sooner. I would be happy to work with Rich as DPL. (Wayne was my first and will always have a special place in my heart, of course! :D )

Here is Chapter 1:
https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/thetaleofbunnycottontail_01_rountreesmith_128kb.mp3

(Yes, not getting notifications happens sometimes at LibriVox, so if some project you are working on goes strangely silent it's a good idea to look in the forum to see if you are just not getting emails about that one.)

And we're off with Bunny Cotton Tail! Chapter 1 is PL OK. My only technical comment is the record level is somewhat near the LibriVox lower limit, so it meets the spec but you could safely add a bit of volume to following chapters.

As a soloist you get to enter the chapter numbers and your forum name in the Magic Window. In my role as DPL I don't get to edit these for this book.
fromdehart

Post by fromdehart »

loon wrote: May 5th, 2021, 3:35 pm
fromdehart wrote: May 5th, 2021, 1:01 pm Hello Phil, Rich, and Wayne!

Here is Chapter 1:

(Yes, not getting notifications happens sometimes at LibriVox, so if some project you are working on goes strangely silent it's a good idea to look in the forum to see if you are just not getting emails about that one.)

And we're off with Bunny Cotton Tail! Chapter 1 is PL OK. My only technical comment is the record level is somewhat near the LibriVox lower limit, so it meets the spec but you could safely add a bit of volume to following chapters.

As a soloist you get to enter the chapter numbers and your forum name in the Magic Window. In my role as DPL I don't get to edit these for this book.
Great! I will play around with volume. (Purchased a new mic & audio interface. Yay toys!) Where exactly do I edit the Magic Window? It tells me I'm not authorized when I try. Thanks!
loon

Post by loon »

Yay toys!

Phil should have authorized you to edit parts of the Magic Window since you're a soloist. It's a different login to https://librivox.org/workflow - I find it easiest to use a different browser for the MW and the forums. (I use Chrome for the MW and Firefox for the forum. Your mileage may vary.)