[Complete] Mildred at Home by Martha Finley - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
MichelleHannah

Post by MichelleHannah »

Mildred at Home: With Something About Her Relatives and Friends by Martha Finley (1828 - 1909).

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/mildred-at-home-with-something-about-her-relatives-and-friends-by-martha-finley/

Book 5 of the story of Mildred Keith by Martha Finley. We join Mildred as she settles into home life as wife and mother. We also see the rest of the Keith children begin to make starts of their own - some near to home, and others far away and perhaps lost forever. The Dinsmore cousins continue to be part of the story as well. ( Michelle Hannah)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/45963
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Martha Finley) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martha_Finley
  • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
  • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 19
  • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
  • Original publication date (if known): 1884
  • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Michelle Hannah Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
============================================

Genres for the project: Children's Fiction/Historical; Children's Fiction/Family

Keywords that describe the book: martha finley, elsie dinsmore, mildred keith

============================================

[*]The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
START of recording (Intro):
  • "Chapter [number] of Mildred at Home: With Something About Her Relatives and Friends. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
  • Say:
    "Mildred at Home: With Something About Her Relatives and Friends, by Martha Finley. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
  • "Chapter [number] of Mildred at Home: With Something About Her Relatives and Friends by Martha Finley. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
  • If you wish, say:
  • Only if applicable, say:
    "[Chapter title]"
END of recording:
  • At the end of the section, say:
    "End of [Chapter]"
  • If you wish, say:
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "End of Mildred at Home: With Something About Her Relatives and Friends, by Martha Finley. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

[*]Example filename mildredathome_##_finley_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. mildredathome_01_finley_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: lt - Lynnet
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below[/list]
Last edited by MichelleHannah on January 25th, 2021, 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

I will set this up for you.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

OK, it's set up.

It looks like this is your first time as BC. I have added you to the list of BCs and can walk you through this  

First of all, near the top of the first post, probably to the right but it may be fairly central, depending on your browser, you will see a stubby little pencil icon. That is so you can edit the first post.

A few things to note:

Have you lined up a DPL? If not, you should add a tilde (~) to the subject line. If you have someone in mind, I will need to give him/her access to the MW. Don't worry if you have no one in mind. Someone will volunteer.

You can edit the summary as you get to know the book better, but do let me know. The alterations are not automatically transferred to the project page (the internal workings of LV 8-) )

Next, that whole section on id tags can be deleted. It's a throwback to our old software and anything you enter gets over-written. And it can cause problems at cataloguing... I've only had problems a couple of times, but I had to go through deleting them all (which took ages!)

You can change the file name at this point, and I think it would be a good idea... it is very long! Something like mildredathome would be ideal.

I will give you instructions for the MW in a separate post, but if you have questions, please ask.
Lynne
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Here are the instructions for logging in to the MW. It is the same for a DPL as for a BC. Please note, this only gives you access to the MW for projects where you are DPL or BC.

Accessing the System – First Time Login
1. Use this Link to go the main login screen: http://librivox.org/workflow
2. Click on Login (for BCs & MCs)
3. Enter your forum username.
4. Click “Forgot Password” 
5. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. Click the link and enter a password and submit the form. (Note this should be more secure than your 'regular' password)
6. Go back to the main login screen and use the new password you entered above to log in to the system. 
7. When you log in from the main screen above, you will be taken to the LibriVox Management Dashboard default screen where you should see a list of your active projects along with options for dropdown menus, searching and editing your profile. (more on this later)
For more explicit step by step directions with screen shots, please see Accessing the System - First Time Login 
NOTE: BCs should use their personal workflow login to upload files. If you recently logged in with the general login to upload files to a project and the system still had you logged in, you may see this: 
You don't have permissions for this area. 
Return to Librivox Management Tool Homepage 
Logout 
To remedy this, click Logout and then login with your BC login and password. 

Please note, this doesn't always work the first time.

If you are still having trouble after 3 or 4 attempts, PM knotyouraveragejo

The MW is probably straightforward...
I started entering the titles, to show you how it's done. No need for chapter numbers. Hit enter when you have finished typing. You can either go through entering them all now, or as you go on, one chapter at a time.

I have entered you as reader for all sections.

The notes column is where you put the time for each file. In this column, you have to 'save'.

Paste your URL from the uploader in the Listen URL column, hit enter. The Link column is automatically populated when you do this.

The status column is a drop-down menu. Remember to change the status whenever you upload a file. That triggers a message to Your DPL.

There is no need to paste the link in the thread, as you would for a group project, although many soloists do. Just post "I've uploaded chapter 8" will suffice.

I think that's it. Any questions, please ask.
Have fun!

Oh yes, one more thing. It's on your schedule, but if life happens and you don't post for a couple of months, please post in the thread "I've been busy but still working on it" or something similar, so I don't think you've been abducted by aliens, and abandon the project .
MichelleHannah

Post by MichelleHannah »

Thank you so much for laying all this out for me, Lynnet! I believe I have edited the original post correctly as requested.

I'm glad I get to shorten the filename, though I did figure I should still list the full original name in the recordings, correct?
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

MichelleHannah wrote: January 25th, 2021, 8:55 am Thank you so much for laying all this out for me, Lynnet! I believe I have edited the original post correctly as requested.

I'm glad I get to shorten the filename, though I did figure I should still list the full original name in the recordings, correct?
I would say the full name at the beginning of the first chapter, and at the end of the book. I think “Mildred at home “ would be enough apart from that... we don’t want the title longer than the story :wink:
MichelleHannah

Post by MichelleHannah »

Chapter First is uploaded. Let me know if I did anything incorrectly or forgot anything. I used lynnet as my MC when I uploaded. I assume that was correct.
Now I shall prepare the other 18. Thanks!
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Everything looks fine, except you should have changed the status to Ready for PL (I did this for you).
I have also edited the first post to say you should upload to my folder 8-)
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Moved to Going Solo. That doesn’t affect you at all, but keeps the Launch Pad neat and tidy 8-)
MichelleHannah

Post by MichelleHannah »

I am past the half-way point. Yeah! Chapters 1-11 have been uploaded.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Chapter 1 PL OK

Chapter 2 PL OK
I hear a number of breath noises. I don't recommend stopping breathing but you should try to reduce the noises... maybe by moving your mic to the side or above, so you are not breathing directly onto it. You can also get a pop filter, which acts as a shield between you and your mic. They cost about $12. They are a bit like an embroidery hoop with panty hose stretched over it 8-)

Chapter 3 PL OK
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Chapter 4 PL OK
MichelleHannah

Post by MichelleHannah »

Lynnet wrote: February 5th, 2021, 9:49 am Chapter 2 PL OK
I hear a number of breath noises. I don't recommend stopping breathing but you should try to reduce the noises... maybe by moving your mic to the side or above, so you are not breathing directly onto it. You can also get a pop filter, which acts as a shield between you and your mic. They cost about $12. They are a bit like an embroidery hoop with panty hose stretched over it 8-)
I went back through Ch.2 and cut all the really bad breathing out of the recording and uploaded. There is still some in the middle of sentences, but the really noticible ones are gone. I think I just had my mic too close to my face and didn't listen back over it to recognize that. I don't think you will hear any with the other chapters.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Chapters 5 and 6 PL OK
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Chapter 7 PL OK