(Complete) The Machine that Saved the World by Murray Leinster - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
pbkuhn

Post by pbkuhn »

The Machine that Saved the World by Murray Leinster (1896 - 1975).

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-machine-that-saved-the-world-by-murray-leinster-2/

This project was started as a solo, but the soloist does not have time to complete. Opening it to volunteers!

Volunteers outside the USA: Murray Leinster died in 1975. The author's work is still protected by copyright in places like Europe, where copyright is author's death plus 70 years, Australia (author's death plus 70 years for authors who died after 1955) or Canada (author's death plus 50 years), UNLESS the rule of shorter term applies. <p>

They were broadcasts from nowhere--sinister emanations flooding in from
space--smashing any receiver that picked them up. What defense could
Earth devise against science such as this? ( Book)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/26174
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Murray Leinster) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murray_Leinster
  • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): na
  • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 3
  • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
  • Original publication date (if known): 1957
  • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Peter Kuhn Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?: Peter Kuhn
============================================

Genres for the project: Literary Fiction; Fantastic Fiction/Science Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: first contact, computers, ai

============================================

[*]The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
START of recording (Intro):
  • "Section [number] of The Machine that Saved the World. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
  • Say:
    "The Machine that Saved the World, by Murray Leinster. [Section]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
  • "Section [number] of The Machine that Saved the World by Murray Leinster. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
  • If you wish, say:
  • Only if applicable, say:
    "[Chapter title]"
END of recording:
  • At the end of the section, say:
    "End of [Section]"
  • If you wish, say:
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "End of The Machine that Saved the World, by Murray Leinster."

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

[*]Example filename machinesaveworld_##_leinster_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. machinesaveworld_01_leinster_128kb.mp3)

[*]Example ID3 V2 tags
Artist: Murray Leinster
Title: ## - [Section title]
Album: The Machine that Saved the World

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: lt - Lynnet
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below[/list]
Last edited by pbkuhn on December 22nd, 2019, 3:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

This isn't PD for me, so I won't be MC'ing it. But I want to mention that in future, you shouldn't put your name in as translator on a project. That spot is for... well, translators, and not recorders/readers. :) Your name doesn't go in any of the fields in which you start the project. It's added in the right spot by the MC when they set up the project.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
pbkuhn

Post by pbkuhn »

Thank you. Not sure how that is happening (though I did it twice now).... I thought I left the whole translate section blank. Sorry, a bit of a novice here, will work at.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

I can set this up, as I'm not in Canada :D
I will be gone until approximately June 3 and will catch up on cataloguing and PLing on my return.
In case of emergency, please contact any other MC.

Help us finish:

On the red staircase
~A friend of Marie-Antoinette
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

All set.
I have removed you as translator and added you as reader :D
I'd strongly recommend shortening the file name -- it's up to you what you pick, but much easier to do it now than later. You can also ignore the id tags -- they will be over-written later anyway.
Do you need to advertise for a DPL?

Anything else, please ask.
Lynne
I will be gone until approximately June 3 and will catch up on cataloguing and PLing on my return.

Help us finish:

On the red staircase
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Well, I can't really pass up a Murray Leinster book, so if you need a DPL, I'm willing to join you.
I'm not sure how you intend to divide the story. I would consider more than three sections. Shorter ones are usually easier for everyone, but three might be okay. Entirely your choice.

~ Larry

Today, May 26, is my 11 year anniversary with LibriVox. What a journery!
Some stats: 2,300 projects, 335 as BC, 500 as DPL, 1850 as reader.
More to come :D
pbkuhn

Post by pbkuhn »

Lynnet wrote: December 21st, 2019, 6:07 pm All set.
I have removed you as translator and added you as reader :D
I'd strongly recommend shortening the file name -- it's up to you what you pick, but much easier to do it now than later. You can also ignore the id tags -- they will be over-written later anyway.
Do you need to advertise for a DPL?

Anything else, please ask.
Lynne
Thank you Lynne!
I did not realize that I had the ability to alter the filename, I thought that was assigned me. I would be happy to use a shorter name, I agree that is a mouthful.
pbkuhn

Post by pbkuhn »

silverquill wrote: December 21st, 2019, 10:27 pm Well, I can't really pass up a Murray Leinster book, so if you need a DPL, I'm willing to join you.
I'm not sure how you intend to divide the story. I would consider more than three sections. Shorter ones are usually easier for everyone, but three might be okay. Entirely your choice.
Great! Thank you Silverquill. I was very arbitrary in my choice of sections. It is about 2 hours total. How about we make it 8 sections? Would that work?

Thanks
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Sure, or say split the difference and go for 6. That would be around 20 min each, which I think is pretty comfortable.

~ Larry

Today, May 26, is my 11 year anniversary with LibriVox. What a journery!
Some stats: 2,300 projects, 335 as BC, 500 as DPL, 1850 as reader.
More to come :D
pbkuhn

Post by pbkuhn »

silverquill wrote: December 21st, 2019, 11:00 pm Sure, or say split the difference and go for 6. That would be around 20 min each, which I think is pretty comfortable.
6 Sounds better, I will break it up like that.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Larry added as DPL.

To edit the first post, click on the chubby pencil icon in the top right (well, depending on your browser, could be nearer the middle). At this point, you can change the file name... but notice there are 2 places to do that. You could probably go with _ machine_ or _machinesavedworld_ The extension can’t be changed.

Decide on what you want your intro /outro to be. You need the disclaimer, but the actual wording is your choice... section # would be a reasonable choice.

You can also edit the summary whenever you wish... but let me know as it doesn’t carry over when I catalog, so I have to copy and paste. I try to do that as a matter of course, but don't always remember.

To add sections to your MW, when you have the MW open, click on “add section” . The other information can be added later. The new section will be added automatically at the bottom of the MW, but you can drag it up if you wish... and everything will be magically renumbered :lol:

I assume you have access to the MW? As you are on the list of BCs, I thought you had gone through the process. Your password will be as it was last time.

Help us finish:

On the red staircase
pbkuhn

Post by pbkuhn »

Lynne

I think I have altered the first post in the appropriate places. Thank you
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Looks good.

Help us finish:

On the red staircase
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Moved to Going Solo. It won't make any difference to access, but keeps the Launch Pad tidy :D

Help us finish:

On the red staircase
pbkuhn

Post by pbkuhn »

Section 1 ready for PL no rush