[COMPLETE] Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens - annise

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Mermaid

Post by Mermaid »

Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens (1812 - 1870).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/oliver-twist-version-6-by-charles-dickens/
"Please sir, I want some more," the famous line spoken by Oliver Twist at age nine, becomes the tipping point of a huge change in Oliver's life. He is soon captured into the service of Fagin and his gang of pick-pocketing boys. But, Mr. Brownlow saves him from arrest, and for the first time in his young life Oliver finds comfort and caring. Unfortunately, he is recaptured into the seedy and disgusting world he had escaped, and meets with Bill Sykes, a dangerous criminal. There are numerous delightful or wicked characters that carry the story along, such as the Artful Dodger-- a boy of the streets under Fagin, Mr. Bumble the Beadle, looking for ways to get rid of Oliver, Nancy who makes a fateful betrayal, and the Maylies, whose affection Oliver craves. The author's descriptions of the back street life in London, bring us full force into the crushing poverty and the terrible way in which poor people were treated during that time. Charles Dickens wrote Oliver Twist as a serial in 1837, and it is considered one of the most popular in English literature. ( Mil Nicholson)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/730/pg730.txt
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    Genres for the project: Literary Fiction

Keywords that describe the book:

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Oliver Twist. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Oliver Twist, by Charles Dickens. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Oliver Twist, by Charles Dickens. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename olivertwist6_##_dickens_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. olivertwist6_01_dickens_128kb.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Artist: Charles Dickens
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Album: Oliver Twist

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: annise
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I can set this up - back soon :D

Anne
Mermaid

Post by Mermaid »

Anne! Great!

Mil
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

All done . Are you looking for a DPL ? If so just add a ~ to the heading . Looking forward to working with you :D

Anne
Mermaid

Post by Mermaid »

Yes, we need a DPL, but don't know what you mean about a ~ in the heading? Please help.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Done - it's just a way to signal the project needs one, and you or I will remove it when one drops in. Have you MW access or do you need to go through the setting it up ? You have done a project with the new system I thought and once set up it should still be set.
I don't think anything else is different but yell if it is

Anne
libraryanne

Post by libraryanne »

Hi,
I'd be very happy to be your DPL for this project.

Regards,
Betty
Mermaid

Post by Mermaid »

Betty,
Great to have you as DPL Look forward to working with you.
Welcome aboard.

Cheers,
Mil
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Welcome Betty - we are already to go then . :clap:

Anne
Mermaid

Post by Mermaid »

Chapter 1 has been uploaded. length 7:44, url: https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/Oliver_Chapter_1_Master.mp3

Question: it's been awhile since using the MW. I'm not sure what the column titled "Meta" requires, or the column titled "Link".
If you could offer some clarity, it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Mil
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Almost perfect :D
The link column is automatic , when you add a URL it makes a dowload link
The meta column is needed for collections and things, where the sections have different authors and sources.

The status column is newish - it has a drop down menu "Ready for PL" "PL OK" " see PL Notes" " ready for spot PL" so the DPL can check their project page and know they have files to check.
So in theory you set it when you upload, the DPL changes it . I'll set it now

However , the file names needs to be different, as it is shown in the first post . I'll fix this one - it needs to be olivertwist6_01_dickens.mp3 . It is really important as I have 2 other versions in my folder and I need them to be clearly seperate

Anne
Mermaid

Post by Mermaid »

Annise,
Thanks for the information. Was blissfully unaware of the file nomenclature change. I should also include the bit rate, 128kb, right? And you are going to fix the file name of the first section, correct? We promise to be absolutely perfect from now on!

Cheers,
Mil
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Yes , I'll fix it - I'm easy about the 128kb bit , it is standard now but easily done in the validating step.

Anne
libraryanne

Post by libraryanne »

Chapter 1 is almost PL OK. The only thing missing is "end of chapter 1" at the end. Otherwise a great start! :)

Cheers,
Betty
Mermaid

Post by Mermaid »

Whoops.....thanks for catching that Betty. I'm getting into the swing. I'll send you amended Chap 1.

Cheers,
Mil