(Complete)[DR] The Year When Stardust Fell - philc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Jd488

Post by Jd488 »

loon wrote: August 6th, 2022, 2:26 pm
Jd488 wrote: August 6th, 2022, 1:06 pm Here are the corrections for Mayor Bill Hilliard. In a few cases, instead of reciting only the specific phrase or sentence, I said the complete thought. I wanted the feeling to be consistent.

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/yearwhenstardustfell_mayorhillard_13_Corrections.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/yearwhenstardustfell_mayorhillard_14_Corrections.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/yearwhenstardustfell_mayorhillard_17_Corrections.mp3

I messed around with the radio announcer part in chapter 2, but my attempt at sounding like Walter Winchell in a panicked voice, IMO, fell woefully short. There is no worry in his voice. If you want, I'll upload it to see what you think. It's about the same as the Radio North voice was.
The corrections are great - all PL OK.

Go ahead and upload chapter 2 "Radio" and I'll take a listen. In my take on the story, the radio announcer in chapter 2 is the local station morning DJ - and is almost scoffing at the news he is reading. For example: "Here's a bunch of people who don't know how to maintain their cars trying to blame the comet for something that's their own faults - yuck yuck yuck". Radio in chapter 3 is the same DJ the next day. He now realizes the news is something serious but is not yet in a panic.
Anyway, if you're reading Radio in chapter 2 you should do him in chapter 3 as well. You should also read something like "Mayor Bill Hilliard and radio announcer - read by John de Silva".
I didn't think to read the part with an arrogant slant. It changes how I would approach the part. The Chapter 2 radio announcer currently sounds like my rendition of Radio North. The more I think about it, the less likely it is that I will do the part with a Walter Winchell or Keith Jackson type of voice. Or maybe speak that style arrogantly. I have to think about how I will do it.
loon

Post by loon »

Sheriff Chapter 1
I'll want "Sheriff Sam Johnson - read by Wallace Morgan" (including his name). This will be for the credits after the story. You can include that line in any of the future chapters you'll read.
At ~0:41 there is a missing "in": The boys been getting it in for you?

Yay! The sheriff's voice is right in line with what I hear in my head when reading the scripts. Just like that please!
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN
loon

Post by loon »

Sheriff Chapter 5 - PL OK.
Sheriff Chapter 8 - PL OK.
Sheriff Chapter 9 - PL OK.

Sheriff Sam is sure enough of his authority he doesn't feel the need to yell at folks. He has a calm voice until it's an emergency.
He does - - - tend to pause - - - here and there. That's his speaking style, so fine.
Last edited by loon on August 15th, 2022, 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
loon

Post by loon »

Sheriff Chapter 14
At ~0:22
Try to keep the fire from spreading, and watch for a rush attack.
and not
Try to keep the fire from spreading, you watch for a rush attack.
loon

Post by loon »

Sheriff Chapter 15
Did Audacity change microphones on you? That sometimes happens. This chapter sounds a bit off mic with less low end. Also there is a small amount of DC along with your voice. I can filter that, but it's different than your previous chapters. This one might need a re-record.

At ~0:41 there is an unwanted 'me' not in the text.
I'll jail you for the rest of the fighting if you disobey >me< again!
At ~58 I think I'm hearing 'you'
How many horses have you got?
should be
How many horses have they got?
loon

Post by loon »

The role of Sheriff is once again available. WallaceMorgan says hardware woes leave him unable to read the rest of the chapters. (It's a big role that should be read by one voice throughout.) I'm away from home for a couple days and unable to update the cast list at https://fullloon.com/stardust/cast.pdf, but feel free to claim the part.
Broomhill

Post by Broomhill »

Hey Loon!

I'd like to take on Vet Smithers from chapter 11 as well as W6YRE in chapter 7.
Thanks.

-Michael
"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." ― Carl Sagan

My LibriVox Catalog
Sic Parvis Magna
loon

Post by loon »

Broomhill wrote: August 28th, 2022, 1:53 pm Hey Loon!

I'd like to take on Vet Smithers from chapter 11 as well as W6YRE in chapter 7.
Thanks.
Michael -
Great! Adding you now.
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Can I claim Ted Watkins?
PROJECTS
Current Solo:Septimius Felton (Hawthorne's final novel)
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
loon

Post by loon »

ChuckW wrote: August 30th, 2022, 7:59 am Can I claim Ted Watkins?
The role is yours. Welcome to Mayfield, Somestate. There are two Ted Watkins lines in chapter 4 as well, so you have lines in chapters 3, 4 and 5.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Hey there :) How about if I pick up Mrs. Larson and Grouch? I can do a great scowly face. :lol:
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
loon

Post by loon »

LCaulkins wrote: September 5th, 2022, 10:11 am Hey there :) How about if I pick up Mrs. Larson and Grouch? I can do a great scowly face. :lol:
Great! Since you'll be doubling up could you read something like "Mrs. Larson and Grouch - read by Lynette Caulkins" for the credits please? It can go in any of the chapters.
Broomhill

Post by Broomhill »

Here is Dr. Smithers for Chapter 11:
https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/yearwhenstardustfell_drsmithers_11.mp3 (2:55)

Thanks,
-Michael
"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." ― Carl Sagan

My LibriVox Catalog
Sic Parvis Magna
loon

Post by loon »

Broomhill wrote: September 6th, 2022, 12:40 pm Here is Dr. Smithers for Chapter 11:
https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/yearwhenstardustfell_drsmithers_11.mp3 (2:55)
Michael -
This reading is PL OK - i.e. I'd trust Doc Smithers with my horse / cow / large animal (if I had any of those).

Near the end you read "Now some vaccine will have to be held in reserve..." while the book reads "Some vaccine will have to be held in reserve..." I'm trying to match the book word-for-word. I did a check edit and I'll easily be able to snip out the "now" - leaving the rest sounding fine, so that's what I'll do when it comes time to splice all the voices together.

Thanks, and if you want to claim some other voice from a different chapter just ask.