COMPLETE[PLAY] Lady Frederick by W. Somerset Maugham - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Hey, hey! Our first files!!

Thanks, Jim - they're loaded and cued for Sacapsie :)
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
sacapsie

Post by sacapsie »

All good, nothing missing! I just survived my first-ever trip to the Magic Window :)
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

hehe :) I am so grateful for your help, sacapsie. Thank you!
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
Bagpussbee

Post by Bagpussbee »

Hi all - very new newbie here. I’m completely jumping the gun because I haven’t submitted my test yet but I’d love to read Rose. However I’m in the UK so not sure if I’d be breaching copyright laws and the implications of that..?!
🐝 🐝 🌸
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

We honor the various country copyright laws. If we are not supposed to read it, we do not. Hence we post warning text in the first post (such as this project has) when some folk may be unable to participate.

There are plenty of open projects here that are in the public domain for you.

Thanks, Todd
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Bagpussbee wrote: October 24th, 2021, 5:01 am Hi all - very new newbie here. I’m completely jumping the gun because I haven’t submitted my test yet but I’d love to read Rose. However I’m in the UK so not sure if I’d be breaching copyright laws and the implications of that..?!
Hi, Bee - Welcome to LibriVox!

Thanks for your honesty, LV does need us to watch the public domain "line," and Todd already addressed that. Unfortunately, we'll have to wait for another volunteer to take Rose for us.

I noticed that Mice and Men has some female bits open, as does The Betrothal, which also has the multi-act part, "Aimette" open.

But also, to let you know: Many BCs run their Plays or Dramatic Reads with gender neutrality, or they only request male/female specificity for the major roles. So, you can take parts that may be male in the writing, unless the BC has stated it be done by a male.

P.S. - If you happen to be able to do a nice French accent, I'm looking for someone to read a bit line in A Mystery of the Hansom Cab.
~Lynette * -
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Act 1 is in. :)

Hey, Sacapsie, can you watch all our pronunciations of the names? Paradine Fouldes and Mereston are noted on the main post, so hopefully folks will catch those on their own.

(The exception is Carlisle, which I didn't note, and I'm going to say it's OK for us to go with either the American or English pronunciation for that one.)
~Lynette * -
Bagpussbee

Post by Bagpussbee »

ToddHW wrote: October 24th, 2021, 5:55 am We honor the various country copyright laws. If we are not supposed to read it, we do not. Hence we post warning text in the first post (such as this project has) when some folk may be unable to participate.

There are plenty of open projects here that are in the public domain for you.

Thanks, Todd
Thanks Todd, I did see that so probably shouldn't have asked! I completely understand.
🐝 🐝 🌸
Bagpussbee

Post by Bagpussbee »

LCaulkins wrote: October 24th, 2021, 6:25 am
Bagpussbee wrote: October 24th, 2021, 5:01 am Hi all - very new newbie here. I’m completely jumping the gun because I haven’t submitted my test yet but I’d love to read Rose. However I’m in the UK so not sure if I’d be breaching copyright laws and the implications of that..?!
Hi, Bee - Welcome to LibriVox!

Thanks for your honesty, LV does need us to watch the public domain "line," and Todd already addressed that. Unfortunately, we'll have to wait for another volunteer to take Rose for us.

I noticed that Mice and Men has some female bits open, as does The Betrothal, which also has the multi-act part, "Aimette" open.

But also, to let you know: Many BCs run their Plays or Dramatic Reads with gender neutrality, or they only request male/female specificity for the major roles. So, you can take parts that may be male in the writing, unless the BC has stated it be done by a male.

P.S. - If you happen to be able to do a nice French accent, I'm looking for someone to read a bit line in A Mystery of the Hansom Cab.
That's OK, completely understand. I will head on over to the Hansom Cab as I've just been practicing my french accent although i'm not so sure about the 'nice! !. :D
🐝 🐝 🌸
sacapsie

Post by sacapsie »

LCaulkins wrote: October 24th, 2021, 7:40 am Act 1 is in. :)

Hey, Sacapsie, can you watch all our pronunciations of the names? Paradine Fouldes and Mereston are noted on the main post, so hopefully folks will catch those on their own.

(The exception is Carlisle, which I didn't note, and I'm going to say it's OK for us to go with either the American or English pronunciation for that one.)
I did note "Paradine" was pronounced differently than in the instructions (as "dine" rather than "dean"), but wasn't sure it was a level of detail we wanted to correct. I can definitely be more meticulous about it. Should I go back and request a correction on the footman file, then?

[ETA: actually, I had a big agonizing moment of self-doubt about whether to request a correction, because I figured the Footman character might not necessarily know how the character's name is pronounced, and reading it off a visiting card he could go either way... any characters who know the guy personally would of course be expected to pronounce it consistently.]
sacapsie

Post by sacapsie »

LCaulkins wrote: October 21st, 2021, 6:33 am Thanks for noting the typos, sacapsie.

This play does contain typos in names here and there. I need to put a note up on the main post for folks to watch for that.
The Gutenberg volunteers were very quick to respond to my errata report--the files have been corrected, so as of today there are no "Mererston" and "Paradise" typos. There may be others we missed, of course.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

sacapsie wrote: October 24th, 2021, 9:14 am
LCaulkins wrote: October 21st, 2021, 6:33 am Thanks for noting the typos, sacapsie.

This play does contain typos in names here and there. I need to put a note up on the main post for folks to watch for that.
The Gutenberg volunteers were very quick to respond to my errata report--the files have been corrected, so as of today there are no "Mererston" and "Paradise" typos. There may be others we missed, of course.
Hey, thanks for spearheading that!

about Footman - it's a good point about the servant perhaps not being familiar with the name, but go ahead and ask Aligator to fix that line. I'm sure she'll be quite open to that. :)
~Lynette * -
JHedrick

Post by JHedrick »

LCaulkins wrote: October 24th, 2021, 9:38 am

about Footman - it's a good point about the servant perhaps not being familiar with the name, but go ahead and ask Aligator to fix that line. I'm sure she'll be quite open to that. :)
I get that footman fixed right away. :oops:
Jim in Ohio

I will be away from the studio from April 21st through April 28th.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
sacapsie

Post by sacapsie »

JHedrick wrote: October 24th, 2021, 9:53 am
LCaulkins wrote: October 24th, 2021, 9:38 am

Great, I just reverted it to "See PL notes".
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

JHedrick wrote: October 24th, 2021, 9:53 am
Oh, gosh, sorry, Jim! Aligator did the Footman role in a different project I'm BC'ing. :lol: :oops:
~Lynette * -