COMPLETE[PLAY] Lady Frederick by W. Somerset Maugham - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

feminerdist wrote: October 16th, 2021, 7:18 pm Lady Mereston, please!
sure :)
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
GlennProud3

Post by GlennProud3 »

Hi! May I read Mr. Paradine Fouldes?

Thanks,

Glenn
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

GlennProud3 wrote: October 18th, 2021, 5:23 pm Hi! May I read Mr. Paradine Fouldes?

Thanks,

Glenn
Hi, Glenn! Thank you for helping with this project!

If you are set on Fouldes, yes, you may. However, you have a nice younger-man voice (we don't always encounter a lot of those) - I'm wondering if you would be willing to do Captain Montgomerie for us? (Fouldes is a middle-aged man, making it a good character for our pool of older voices)

Let me know your thoughts :)
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
WendyKatzHiller

Post by WendyKatzHiller »

Could I please read Madame Claude? I'll give the accent my best try. :)

Thanks,
Wendy
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

WendyKatzHiller wrote: October 18th, 2021, 5:51 pm Could I please read Madame Claude? I'll give the accent my best try. :)

Thanks,
Wendy
Thanks, Wendy!
~Lynette * -
GlennProud3

Post by GlennProud3 »

LCaulkins wrote: October 18th, 2021, 5:35 pm
GlennProud3 wrote: October 18th, 2021, 5:23 pm Hi! May I read Mr. Paradine Fouldes?

Thanks,

Glenn
Hi, Glenn! Thank you for helping with this project!

If you are set on Fouldes, yes, you may. However, you have a nice younger-man voice (we don't always encounter a lot of those) - I'm wondering if you would be willing to do Captain Montgomerie for us? (Fouldes is a middle-aged man, making it a good character for our pool of older voices)

Let me know your thoughts :)

Yes! Captain Montgomerie would be great fun! - Glenn
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Super! He's all yours :)
~Lynette * -
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Hey, Todd -

when I do the stage directions, do I include every single one? If, for example, there is a cue that is clearly part of the character's line, can that be excluded, or strictly keep all?

E.g.

Lady Frederick
{laughing} line line line
~Lynette * -
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

When I do stage directions (or have them done), I want every direction recorded. One reason is becuz some readers don't necessarily act out their directions, but there are two more good reasons for having every direction:

1. Many directions have a strong visual component, so no matter how good the reader voice is, it may not communicate what the author/playwright desired as strongly as they probably wanted. Anger, sobbing, shock, etc can benefit from an instruction being left in.

2. When I edit, the stage directions provide a framework to knowing where I am - particularly if I start editing before all the lines are in. Even if I eventually cut out a direction in the final file, it still helped me put the acts together properly.

Thanks, Todd
sacapsie

Post by sacapsie »

Hi all, I was looking closer at the Gutenberg text last night and noticed an inconsistency: the name of the Marquess/Marchioness is sometimes written as "Mereston", and other times as "Mererston". Perhaps we should agree at the outset to read it as "Mereston" throughout? It's mainly a problem in the stage directions. All the character lines have it as "Mereston".

p.s. it's also something to watch out for if you are searching through the text for "Mereston" lines.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Thanks for noting the typos, sacapsie.

This play does contain typos in names here and there. I need to put a note up on the main post for folks to watch for that.
~Lynette * -
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Could I please claim Gerald? :D
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Yay! Thank you :)
~Lynette * -
sacapsie

Post by sacapsie »

LCaulkins wrote: October 21st, 2021, 6:33 am Thanks for noting the typos, sacapsie.

This play does contain typos in names here and there. I need to put a note up on the main post for folks to watch for that.
Yep, I spotted at least one other one where "Paradine" is misspelled as "Paradise" in the stage directions (in the First Act).

ETA I've submitted an errata report to Project Gutenberg, but I don't know how quickly they fix things.
JHedrick

Post by JHedrick »

Jim in Ohio

I will be away from the studio from April 21st through April 28th.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-