COMPLETE[PLAY]Bold Stroke for a Husband by Cowley - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

alanmapstone wrote: October 20th, 2021, 2:14 amDon Carlos act 3
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/boldstroke_doncarlos_3.mp3
I have tried to make Carlos sound inebriated in this act (he has drunk 3 flasks of Burgundy), I hope that come across.
Of course if I was a method actor I would have actually got drunk before recording this :lol:
:mrgreen: the things we do for LibriVox.

Yes compared to the final scene where you suddenly sobered up seeing your wife the beginning is much more jovially tipsy. :lol:
Well done.

Totally PL ok

thank you

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
jakemalizia

Post by jakemalizia »

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

jakemalizia wrote: October 21st, 2021, 10:33 amHere's Gasper. I said it with a hard "G", hope that's right.
yes I would have said Gaspar too, and not Jasper. And well done on playing an old servant :thumbs: Funny how he says old men should be played by young actors on stage :lol: the receipe for your role so to speak. ;)

Everything perfect, all PL ok.

Maybe if you wouldn't mind re-recording the voice credit for the first act, you could say: Gaspar, read by Jake Malizia, not played. That's the standard way we all say the voice credit and just for consistency's sake it might be a good idea to have them all the same. Also the three files are a bit low on volume, I'll make a note for Todd in the MW for Acts 2 and 5 but you could amplify Act 1 with about 5 dB, while you're at it.

Thanks

Sonia
jakemalizia

Post by jakemalizia »

Kitty wrote: October 22nd, 2021, 2:38 am
jakemalizia wrote: October 21st, 2021, 10:33 amHere's Gasper. I said it with a hard "G", hope that's right.
yes I would have said Gaspar too, and not Jasper. And well done on playing an old servant :thumbs: Funny how he says old men should be played by young actors on stage :lol: the receipe for your role so to speak. ;)

Everything perfect, all PL ok.

Maybe if you wouldn't mind re-recording the voice credit for the first act, you could say: Gaspar, read by Jake Malizia, not played. That's the standard way we all say the voice credit and just for consistency's sake it might be a good idea to have them all the same. Also the three files are a bit low on volume, I'll make a note for Todd in the MW for Acts 2 and 5 but you could amplify Act 1 with about 5 dB, while you're at it.

Thanks

Sonia
I don't know how I managed to get the introduction wrong :lol: :lol: work has melted my brain.

Here's the edited Act 1:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/boldstroke_gasper_1.mp3

I amplified it as much as it would let me... it's just creeped into the acceptable range.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
JoannaHoyt

Post by JoannaHoyt »

Here are the stage directions--sorry so late. I've pronounced Gasper with a hard G, taken my best guess at other pronunciations. Glad to correct as needed. In Act 1, I didn't know if you wanted the Remarks or not, so read them just in case. In Act 2, I wasn't sure what "Exit L.H." meant so just read " Exit left."

Act 1, 8:35
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/boldstroke_stagedirections_1.mp3

Act 2, 4:17
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/boldstroke_stagedirections_2.mp3

Act 3, 6:10
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/boldstroke_stagedirections_3.mp3

Act 4, 6:02
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/boldstroke_stagedirections_4.mp3

Act 5, 10:30
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/boldstroke_stagedirections_5.mp3
Back from a low-internet no-Librivox year in Georgia. Glad to be with you again.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you. You are not late - you still had over a month left on your claim.

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I will be out of touch this Wednesday through to the next (27 Oct - 3 Nov). I should be able to get to the forum, but not MW or cataloging things.

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

jakemalizia wrote: October 23rd, 2021, 1:28 amI don't know how I managed to get the introduction wrong :lol: :lol: work has melted my brain.
:mrgreen: it happens to the best of us.

Now PL ok :)

thank you, Jake

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

JoannaHoyt wrote: October 24th, 2021, 7:26 pmIn Act 1, I didn't know if you wanted the Remarks or not, so read them just in case. In Act 2, I wasn't sure what "Exit L.H." meant so just read " Exit left."
not sure about the remarks, but it's always good to have them. :thumbs: And they are indeed interesting. Thanks for including them.

Excellently narrated, Joanna, the is only one mistake in several spots, concerning the "asides". In old texts the mention often only comes after the sentence spoken which is a great annoyance and source of error. We need to be extra vigilant to check what really is said as aside. Often it's the first sentence spoken, and then we have to include the person's name.

Here's a list of all the spots where the name is missing:

Act 1:
> at 7:25: "Garcia, aside"

Act 2:
> at 3:30: "Caesar, aside"
> at 3:36: "Caesar in great agitation"

Act 3:
> at 4:02: "Caesar aside"
> at 4:53: "Marcella aside"
> at 5:27: "Caesar aside"

Act 4:
> at 1:20: "Victoria, eagerly"
> at 1:26: "Laura, aside"
> at 2:38: "Caesar aside"
> at 5:41: "Julio aloud"

Act 5:
> at 2:38: "Victoria, in transport"
> at 6:51: "Olivia aside"
> at 7:34: "Olivia apart"
> at 8:13: "Olivia to Minette"
> at 9:36: "Olivia, aside"

The rest was excellent. Thank you :)

Sonia
JoannaHoyt

Post by JoannaHoyt »

Kitty wrote: October 25th, 2021, 6:30 am

Excellently narrated, Joanna, the is only one mistake in several spots, concerning the "asides". In old texts the mention often only comes after the sentence spoken which is a great annoyance and source of error. We need to be extra vigilant to check what really is said as aside. Often it's the first sentence spoken, and then we have to include the person's name.

Sonia
Thank you! This makes a lot of sense, and I'll remember next time I'm reading from an older text set up this way. Will fix these tonight--and will add spaces where needed in places where a terminal "Aside" came right before another stage direction. Thank you for the list.
Joanna
Back from a low-internet no-Librivox year in Georgia. Glad to be with you again.
JoannaHoyt

Post by JoannaHoyt »

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

JoannaHoyt wrote: October 25th, 2021, 4:47 pmThank you again for your very clear and patient fix instructions. Here are the corrected acts. Sorry there are so many spots to PL... :oops:
no worries, Joanna, you did excellently. The erratic placement of the "aside" is really taxing on the narrator so it's fully understandable.

All acts now PL ok, wonderfully patched. :thumbs:

Thank you

Sonia