COMPLETE[PLAY]One Act Play Collection 016 - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

silverquill wrote: October 23rd, 2021, 9:48 pm Here are the Stage Directions for 05. Freezing a Mother-in-Law by Thomas Pemberton

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/freezing_stage_pemberton.mp3 9:58

I'm not sure I got the Intro right, so let me know.
I also didn't do a list of characters, but can do so.
Thank you for this, Larry! I've noted a few missed phrases below, and if more are discovered later during editing, I know where to find you :mrgreen: but I think that's everything.

As for the intro, I listened to some of the catalogued plays, and they had the [title] by [author] +disclaimer format, so I think the intro in the first post is misleading :?: I'll let Todd be the judge of that, when he's back or able to answer.

I would like a phrase like "Cast of Characters" or plain "Characters" if you could add after the intro, then I'll add the names read by the readers.

Around current 1:41 we'd have "(Exit Mrs. Watmuff, door L.)"
around 3:00 "(All rise.)"
around 6:51 "(Exit Mr. Watmuff, door R.) (Mrs. Watmuff appears at door of cupboard.)"
delishtavox

Post by delishtavox »

I'd like to claim section 15 (Stage Directions), please
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you. Please complete the One Minute Test so we know that your equipment is set up properly.

For the stage directions, you need to read everything that is not read by the actors. So each time you see "closes door" or "drinks wine" or "exit left", you would need to read. Often it's written in italics or between brackets, but not always, so finding all the directions can be tricky business.

There is a special rule that concerns reading the characters' names. It's quite easy to remember:

1) if the stage direction appears at the beginning of the speech, you include the character's name.
Example:
John (sitting down on the couch): "I feel a headache coming on."
you would read everything I underlined now, including the name.

2) if the stage direction is in the middle or at the end of the speech, you do not repeat the name, because it's already clear who is speaking.
Example:
John: "I feel a headache coming on." (sits down on the couch) "I think I need a rest." (dozes off)
both times, no name included, only the underlined parts would be read.

If in doubt, record it.

Please leave at least 4-5 seconds between each chunk. So each time the narration is interrupted by a character speech, you leave ample space. It makes copy/pasting easier for our editor (me).

Also - record a voice credit for yourself: "Stage directions, read by XXXX"

Thanks, Todd
EltonTheSnowman

Post by EltonTheSnowman »

Hi, I'd like to claim Amelia Branville in "Which Is the King?" and Emily in "Freezing a Mother-in-Law" (brilliant title) :)
Matea Bracic

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.”
-Groucho Marx
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

GregGiordano wrote: October 23rd, 2021, 11:50 pm Here is the part of Jim Lyons in "Isosceles"

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/isosceles_jimlyons_hare.mp3

Take care,

Greg
Thank you, Greg! Love the range of emotions! Especially enjoyed the phone conversation where we find out those emotions were an act :lol:

Jim is PL-OK!
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

jennlea wrote: November 4th, 2021, 6:13 am
GregGiordano wrote: October 23rd, 2021, 11:50 pm Here is the part of Jim Lyons in "Isosceles"

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/isosceles_jimlyons_hare.mp3

Take care,

Greg
Thank you, Greg! Love the range of emotions! Especially enjoyed the phone conversation where we find out those emotions were an act :lol:

Jim is PL-OK!
Thank you, Jenn. I appreciate the kind words! The character got his own in the end (they all did really)!

Take care,

Greg
Salvationist

Post by Salvationist »

Might the following count as a one-act play? It is the only act in a play that was never completed, but that was supposedly intended to have additional acts. If you feel that this play is outside the scope of this project, please let me know and I will find a different place on LibriVox to coordinate a reading of this unfinished play:

* Title and author: "The First Act of a Comedy" by Jane Austen
* PD text link: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1212
* Link to author on Wikipedia, and death date, if known: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jane_Austen (died 1817)
* Link to title on Wikipedia: n/a
* Number of roles (including narrator) this project will have: 11
* Original publication date: 1922
* The list of characters:
  • Hostess
  • Maria
  • Cook
  • Charles
  • Pistoletta
  • Popgun
  • Chloe
  • Chorus of ploughboys
  • Strephon
  • Postilion
  • Stage directions
I know you don't normally have singing in your projects, Todd, but would it be possible for the reading of this play to include a little singing? Chloe has two lines that are supposed to be sung, and the chorus of ploughboys sing two short responses. My thought is that whoever signs up for Chloe can choose how to sing her lines, and then I'll read the chorus of ploughboys after I've heard those lines so I can sing something that matches them. What do you think?

I have created a colour-coded Google Doc of the script here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1K8rk91LV_4683Bnr0m7eGn_AQpVSpped/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=117051389572361480660&rtpof=true&sd=true
Salvationist

Current focus: Acadia, The Watsons, and Pollyanna of the Orange Blossoms
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you; this will work fine.

You can have singing if you wish.

All set up.

Thanks, Todd
EltonTheSnowman

Post by EltonTheSnowman »

EltonTheSnowman wrote: November 3rd, 2021, 10:15 am Hi, I'd like to claim Amelia Branville in "Which Is the King?" and Emily in "Freezing a Mother-in-Law" (brilliant title) :)
I’d just like to repeat my claims for these two roles because it looks like my post got buried in the thread :mrgreen:
Matea Bracic

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.”
-Groucho Marx
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you. Yes, I had missed it.

Todd
Salvationist

Post by Salvationist »

ToddHW wrote: November 10th, 2021, 10:42 am Thank you; this will work fine.

You can have singing if you wish.

All set up.

Thanks, Todd
Thank you for setting up this play, Todd! Would you sign me up for the Chorus of Ploughboys?
Salvationist

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

May I claim Popgun in project 7?

Thanks!

Greg
Salvationist

Post by Salvationist »

GregGiordano wrote: November 11th, 2021, 8:59 am May I claim Popgun in project 7?

Thanks!

Greg
For sure! Thanks for being the first reader to sign up for this little play, Greg!
Salvationist

jennlea

Post by jennlea »

May I claim Chloe in “The First Act of a Comedy”?
-Jenn B.
My Recordings