COMPLETE[PLAY]The Freaks by Pinero - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Kitty wrote: July 26th, 2021, 1:37 am And Todd, here is Lady Ball-Jennings, for your listening pleasure (of sorts). I spent the entire afternoon on working out this persona, and got interrupted by a thunderstorm :evil: But managed to finish this morning.

You are probably very relieved that this time you are not under my thumb (though she seems to think the entire household must be). Ooooh especially in Act 2 I had fun bossing everybody around :mrgreen: and then slowly starting to lose my nerves in the Shakespeare performance of dear Sir Norton. Looking forward to Alan trying to do Macbeth in this mayhem. :lol:

Now I'm back to being sweet me *angel smilie*

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/freaks_lady_ball-jennings_1.mp3
Recording time: 6:33 min.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/freaks_lady_ball-jennings_2.mp3
Recording time: 12:49 min.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/freaks_lady_ball-jennings_3.mp3
Recording time: 4:50 min.

I also changed her description in the MW: she is Mrs Herrick's sister, not sister-in-law. Sir Norton is the brother-in-law because he is married to her. In case you already created the castlist, you could change it in there as well.

Sonia
A new low has been reached. Over the approaching a decade of years and multiple hundreds of plays, Sonia has consistently treated my characters with disdain, snottiness, and complete lack of empathy. I have been berated and even beaten. But never ever before has she called me a Guttersnipe. Even though I was not actually under her thumb this time, I have suffered grievous psychological damage.

It is difficult to call any reading of this character acceptable. Yes, it is perfect and PL OK as regards what Mr. Pinero wrote, but really - how could you??!!??

Thanks, Todd

(Hoping you will be kind in PL'ing my part as the beginning of your rehabilitation program.)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: July 29th, 2021, 10:35 amA new low has been reached.
:shock: I'm speechless ! "Guttersnipe" was too kind a word, methinks.
(Hoping you will be kind in PL'ing my part as the beginning of your rehabilitation program.)
my initial reaction was to let my finger hover towards the "banning-button" :mrgreen: but I stifled the urge. How's that for rehabilitation ?

Your character better be really really good this time, Todd. :twisted:

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
jakemalizia

Post by jakemalizia »

Fight, fight, fight!

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

jakemalizia wrote: July 30th, 2021, 9:06 amFight, fight, fight!
:clap: :clap: :clap:
:lol: welcome to the Todd-and-Kitty show. :mrgreen: Entertainment guaranteed.

Sonia
Miruvor

Post by Miruvor »

I just finished editing the Stage Directions for act 1, but the uploader gives me an error when I try to start the upload.

Could it be the length or size of my file (it's a few minutes over an hour, and 63 mb)? Should I subdivide the file? If so, where should the split be and how would you like the files named?

:help: Thanks!
:thumbs: Mira
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Miruvor88 wrote: July 30th, 2021, 1:40 pmI just finished editing the Stage Directions for act 1, but the uploader gives me an error when I try to start the upload.
Could it be the length or size of my file (it's a few minutes over an hour, and 63 mb)? Should I subdivide the file? If so, where should the split be and how would you like the files named?
no the length should not be a problem, I think we can handle much longer files.

Maybe it was only a temporary glitch in the server, could you try again ? And have you made sure it's an mp3 file ? By that I mean, it should not be named "mp3" at the end, but it needs to be exported in the format of mp3. Just making sure every possibility is covered.

The file should be named: freaks_narrator_1 (and then exported as mp3)

What is the exact error message you got ?

Sonia
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Sir Norton act 2

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/freaks_sirnortonballjennings_2.mp3

The speech from MacBeth that he keeps trying to recite is one that I recorded for The Killing of Duncan dramatisation in the World Story series. It is also a speech I had to learn by heart at school and that was more than 60 years ago :(

My voice went a bit croaky in the MacBeth bits but I thought that would be appropriate for Sir Norton so I left it :wink:
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
Miruvor

Post by Miruvor »

Kitty wrote: July 31st, 2021, 12:45 am
Miruvor88 wrote: July 30th, 2021, 1:40 pmI just finished editing the Stage Directions for act 1, but the uploader gives me an error when I try to start the upload.
no the length should not be a problem, I think we can handle much longer files.

Maybe it was only a temporary glitch in the server, could you try again ? And have you made sure it's an mp3 file ? By that I mean, it should not be named "mp3" at the end, but it needs to be exported in the format of mp3. Just making sure every possibility is covered.

The file should be named: freaks_narrator_1 (and then exported as mp3)

What is the exact error message you got ?

Sonia
It worked this morning, so it must have been a temporary glitch.

I did double check the mp3 thing before I posted, so we were on the same brain wave there. :lol:

In case this happens to another noob like me, the error I got was just "ErrorTrue" where the upload progress bar normally is. It wasn't clickable, so unfortunately I don't have more info than that.

It does look like I misnamed the file though. I always copy/paste the name directly from the magic window and type in my specifics, so I don't have any idea what happened there. :oops: To my understanding, an admin has to delete oops files?? So if someone wouldn't mind deleting this: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/freaksanidyllofsuburbia_stagedirections_1.mp3 (If not, just let me know what to do, and I'll be happy to delete!)

I'll rename and get it reuploaded here in a few. Thanks so much!
Miruvor

Post by Miruvor »

Act 1 Stage directions, ready for PL!

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/freaks_narrator_1.mp3 1:05:41

(Checker said my file is fine except for the length. I figure the rules are a bit different for DR/Play parts that will be spliced together, but please do let me know if my file needs to be divided. Thanks!)
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you. I shortened the file name in the first posting a few days after starting the project; the original filename was too long for the Ball-Jennings's to stay wake long enough to type. Your previous file will eventually get recycled when Lady Ball-Jennings starts to run short of original things to say about Guttersnipes.

You'll get comments back on your file soon. But since these sound really long (Pinero does have long acts), please add at the end of Act 1 (if your are making any other suggested changes), or at the beginning of Act 2, the words "Part 1" and "Part 2" - I will take care of breaking your original files into separate files if I need to during editing. (We can actually handle up to 74 minutes in one file - the maximum length of a CD, which some users download and copy our files on to to listen to on their devices.)

Thanks, Todd
catharmaiden

Post by catharmaiden »

I would like to claim Collingridge

Sandra
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

alanmapstone wrote: July 31st, 2021, 2:35 amSir Norton act 2
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/freaks_sirnortonballjennings_2.mp3

The speech from MacBeth that he keeps trying to recite is one that I recorded for The Killing of Duncan dramatisation in the World Story series. It is also a speech I had to learn by heart at school and that was more than 60 years ago :(

My voice went a bit croaky in the MacBeth bits but I thought that would be appropriate for Sir Norton so I left it :wink:
:lol: I think your declamations for the MacBeth bits were wonderful, complete with all the highly annoying "er..." at strategic points. Sir Norton is not about to enter the real stage any time soon, methinks. :mrgreen: I think one needs to be Lady Ball-Jennings to appreciate this kind of performance. :hmm: (ours is a hard lot in this house)

Excellently done and PL ok, thank you Alan. And I noticed that I mispronounced "eczema", which I probably never heard spoken aloud. :lol: I am thinking of redoing that line, maybe.

Thank you

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Miruvor88 wrote: July 31st, 2021, 5:50 amAct 1 Stage directions, ready for PL!

(Checker said my file is fine except for the length. I figure the rules are a bit different for DR/Play parts that will be spliced together, but please do let me know if my file needs to be divided. Thanks!)
thank you, Mira, and for a first stage direction role to tackle to take on a Pinero, wow, you have courage. :thumbs: He's the "dreaded author that writes one-hour stage directions". :lol:

but you did it awesomely well, you got the gist of how to include the character names and when to leave them out totally accurately. :thumbs: It was a treat to listen to this, as I barely had to write down any notes. Thank you for making my job easy.

It's especially great that you managed to read it all with very suitable emotions, because Pinero's narrator is basically part of the show due to the length of appearances.

I have a few PL notes and especially one major correction to add, and this concerns the Cast of Characters, which needs to be included. You probably didn't know that as it's your first stage direction job.

So here is what needs correcting:

> at the beginning: since this first act is definitely exceeding 74 minutes, Todd needs to split the act in two sections. Could you please include an additional intro: "Act 1, Part 1 of The Freaks, an Idyll of Suburbia" and "Act 1, Part 2 of The Freaks, an Idyll of Suburbia", so he can start with that if he needs it. This is actually a good suggestion for Acts 2 and 3 if you notice that they exceed the time limit (which they often do in a Pinero).

> at 0:24: could you please also record all the voice credits with the complete descriptions ? We ask them of each reader, but we also have the narrator do this, in case some of the readers vanish without the full credit, then Todd can use the narrator's lines to complete these.
So you need to add:
1. "The persons of the play. Ordinary Mortals. Mrs Herrick, née Smith, a widow, read by... / Ronald, her son, read by.... / Sheila, her daughter, read by...." (and so on - see Magic Window for the exact description, in case it's confusing in the book)
2. Also add the rest of that page: "Place. Marsden Lodge, Grand Avenue..." [...] up to: "about twelve miles from Charing Cross."
3. Then we also include the summaries, two pages later: "Act 1. Mrs Harrick gives a tea-party. A fortnight passes." and so one, the entire page. Only then the real Act 1 starts.

> at 8:35: (p. 9) "as Glynn, muttering "Dear, dear" moves away. - I would suggest reading "dear dear" as well, as I'm not sure whether Todd wants to merge the actor's voice inside the stage directions. To be on the safe side, let's add this bit

> also at the end, could you please include an additional outro: "End of Act 1, Part 1 of The Freaks, an Idyll of Suburbia" and "End of Act 1, Part 2 of The Freaks, an Idyll of Suburbia" (also in acts 2 and 3 if it's needed)

Just reupload with the same file name and the old one will get replaced by the new one :)

Thank you so much for this beautiful contribution. :9: looking forward to the rest.

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

catharmaiden wrote: August 1st, 2021, 2:39 am I would like to claim Collingridge

Sandra
Thank you.

We have only one Extraordinary Mortal role left to fill now!

Thanks, Todd
Miruvor

Post by Miruvor »

Kitty wrote: August 1st, 2021, 4:13 am
Miruvor88 wrote: July 31st, 2021, 5:50 amAct 1 Stage directions, ready for PL!

thank you, Mira, and for a first stage direction role to tackle to take on a Pinero, wow, you have courage. :thumbs: He's the "dreaded author that writes one-hour stage directions". :lol:

but you did it awesomely well, you got the gist of how to include the character names and when to leave them out totally accurately. :thumbs: It was a treat to listen to this, as I barely had to write down any notes. Thank you for making my job easy.

It's especially great that you managed to read it all with very suitable emotions, because Pinero's narrator is basically part of the show due to the length of appearances.

I have a few PL notes and especially one major correction to add, and this concerns the Cast of Characters, which needs to be included. You probably didn't know that as it's your first stage direction job.

So here is what needs correcting:

> at the beginning: since this first act is definitely exceeding 74 minutes, Todd needs to split the act in two sections. Could you please include an additional intro: "Act 1, Part 1 of The Freaks, an Idyll of Suburbia" and "Act 1, Part 2 of The Freaks, an Idyll of Suburbia", so he can start with that if he needs it. This is actually a good suggestion for Acts 2 and 3 if you notice that they exceed the time limit (which they often do in a Pinero).

> at 0:24: could you please also record all the voice credits with the complete descriptions ? We ask them of each reader, but we also have the narrator do this, in case some of the readers vanish without the full credit, then Todd can use the narrator's lines to complete these.
So you need to add:
1. "The persons of the play. Ordinary Mortals. Mrs Herrick, née Smith, a widow, read by... / Ronald, her son, read by.... / Sheila, her daughter, read by...." (and so on - see Magic Window for the exact description, in case it's confusing in the book)
2. Also add the rest of that page: "Place. Marsden Lodge, Grand Avenue..." [...] up to: "about twelve miles from Charing Cross."
3. Then we also include the summaries, two pages later: "Act 1. Mrs Harrick gives a tea-party. A fortnight passes." and so one, the entire page. Only then the real Act 1 starts.

> at 8:35: (p. 9) "as Glynn, muttering "Dear, dear" moves away. - I would suggest reading "dear dear" as well, as I'm not sure whether Todd wants to merge the actor's voice inside the stage directions. To be on the safe side, let's add this bit

> also at the end, could you please include an additional outro: "End of Act 1, Part 1 of The Freaks, an Idyll of Suburbia" and "End of Act 1, Part 2 of The Freaks, an Idyll of Suburbia" (also in acts 2 and 3 if it's needed)

Just reupload with the same file name and the old one will get replaced by the new one :)

Thank you so much for this beautiful contribution. :9: looking forward to the rest.

Sonia
Thanks for all the feedback!

I wanted to try my hand at something a bit longer, and boy howdy did I succeed in that endeavor! :lol: Act 2 is looking to be about 2 hours long. I hope Act 3 doesn't follow the same pattern :shock:

This being my first narration part, I just have a few quick questions:
On the "persons of the play" bit, I just leave a gap after "read by," ya? (Instead of recording the reader name listed in the MW)
Shall I leave trim gaps around "Dear, Dear" just in case?
If my file is over the 74 mins, I still upload as 1 file (with the Part 1, Part 2 lines) and Todd will split them if/when needed, ya?
Is there a point at which I'd need to record Part 3 lines?

Thanks again! I've had so much fun recording for Librivox and everyone I've worked with has been so nice and helpful. I'm definitely hooked :9: