COMPLETE[PLAY]The Freaks by Pinero - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Miruvor88 wrote: August 1st, 2021, 9:21 amI wanted to try my hand at something a bit longer, and boy howdy did I succeed in that endeavor! :lol:
yes you definitely have a knack of picking 'em ;) Pinero is kinda hardcore for LV initiation rites :lol:
On the "persons of the play" bit, I just leave a gap after "read by," ya? (Instead of recording the reader name listed in the MW)
yes please, just leave the same 2-3 seconds gap. The readers may change their mind, drop off, and some are not even claimed yet. And to be honest, most of the time we get all the voice credits correctly, so your recording may well end up on the cutting floor, but there have been numerous occasions where readers vanished without the full descriptions, and for that reason, to be on the safe side, we always want the narrator to do that part as well.
Shall I leave trim gaps around "Dear, Dear" just in case?
ok maybe not a bad idea, at least a little bit of space ;)
If my file is over the 74 mins, I still upload as 1 file (with the Part 1, Part 2 lines) and Todd will split them if/when needed, ya?
yes please, Todd will find a suitable place to make the split. It's part of his job description. :mrgreen:
Is there a point at which I'd need to record Part 3 lines?
hmmm, I think we very rarely have that, if ever. Not even for a Pinero I think. I think we had it once...for Charley's Aunt, but I'm not even sure there. Todd may know more. I don't think we need part 3 here.

Act 2 being two hours long sounds like a good candidate though. I would be surprised though if it was that long. That would be sadistic, even for Pinero. :lol: Well, if in doubt, record "Part 3" as well, no need to do the entire line, Todd can cut/paste it appropriately if needed.
I've had so much fun recording for Librivox and everyone I've worked with has been so nice and helpful. I'm definitely hooked :9:
YES ! we've roped in one more :mrgreen: Good to hear this ! And as a bonus: after Pinero stage directions, nothing can shock you anymore. :lol:

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
Miruvor

Post by Miruvor »

Stage directions, act 1, Ready for PL take 2!

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/freaks_narrator_1.mp3 01:10:03
:thumbs: Mira
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Miruvor88 wrote: August 2nd, 2021, 10:20 amStage directions, act 1, Ready for PL take 2!
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/freaks_narrator_1.mp3 01:10:03
excellent and now PL ok :clap: the worst is over, usually the first act is the most daunting because of the cast of characters and the intros. I bet you will dream of "Segantini's world renowned museum of marvels" tonight :lol: it does sound a bit like overkill to repeat it with every name. But well...they are extraordinary, so they get their moment of fame that way.

Thanks !!! Looking forward to Act 2

Sonia
lindapwebster

Post by lindapwebster »

Mrs. Herrick Act I is ready here:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/freaks_mrsherrick_act1.mp3

I tried to leave spaces for the many stage directions in the midst of my lines! :lol: As people have been pointing out here, there really are an awful lot of them. But I have to say I'm rather pleasantly surprised that I seem to have some of the funniest lines! Hope my comic timing worked. I tried to emulate Stephen Fry. :wink:

- Linda
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

lindapwebster wrote: August 2nd, 2021, 9:02 pmMrs. Herrick Act I is ready here:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/freaks_mrsherrick_act1.mp3

I tried to leave spaces for the many stage directions in the midst of my lines! :lol: As people have been pointing out here, there really are an awful lot of them.
yes that was exactly what was needed, Todd is grateful for long spaces, so he can accurately cut and paste the quotes.
But I have to say I'm rather pleasantly surprised that I seem to have some of the funniest lines! Hope my comic timing worked. I tried to emulate Stephen Fry. :wink:
:lol: I see what you mean. This was brilliantly acted. I was first surprised that you made her more forceful than I initially thought (the sister seemed more like the hell-hound here), and yes, while you proceeded, her doubts and fears are shining through more and more, it was excellently acted, complete with embarrassed stutters. :thumbs: Wonderfully entertaining and PL ok ! Thank you so much, Linda. Couldn't have wished for a better sister in the play :mrgreen:

Looking forward to the next act

Sonia
lindapwebster

Post by lindapwebster »

Thank you so much, Sonia!! :9: I can't wait to hear the final version. The play is really a lot of fun, and from the comments in this thread, it sounds like you and Alan cut some real figures on Lady & Norton Ball-Jennings! :lol:

Stay tuned for Acts II & III....

-Linda
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

lindapwebster wrote: August 3rd, 2021, 7:37 amit sounds like you and Alan cut some real figures on Lady & Norton Ball-Jennings! :lol:
Don't listen too much to what Todd says....he's got a trauma on me for some inexplicable reason. :mrgreen:

But grumpily admitting that we are the unwanted guests in the house. And as such, on many occasions the comic relief of the play :lol:

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Kitty wrote: August 3rd, 2021, 8:12 am
lindapwebster wrote: August 3rd, 2021, 7:37 amit sounds like you and Alan cut some real figures on Lady & Norton Ball-Jennings! :lol:
Don't listen too much to what Todd says....he's got a trauma on me for some inexplicable reason. :mrgreen:

But grumpily admitting that we are the unwanted guests in the house. And as such, on many occasions the comic relief of the play :lol:

Sonia
So you would be Grumpysnipes then, would you? Or perhaps Unwantedguestiesnipes?

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Horatio Tilney, late of Segantini's World Renowned Mammoth International Hippodrome and Museum of Living Marvels, awaits PL in the MW.

Be kind. I did not bring my guttersnipe.

Thanks, Todd
Miruvor

Post by Miruvor »

Crazy long stage directions for act 2, Ready for PL!

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/freaks_narrator_2.mp3 01:42:10
:thumbs: Mira
lindapwebster

Post by lindapwebster »

Mrs. Herrick Act 2 is now ready.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/freaks_mrsherrick_act2.mp3

My lines aren't quite so funny this act, but I'm really looking forward to hearing Alan's "Macbeth"! :D And of course your Lady Ball-Jennings has plenty of opportunity to be at the top of her pompous, affronted form. Poor Dorothy is quite cowed by her, you imperious thing... :mrgreen: I see why Todd is so traumatized. :lol:

Before recording Act 3, I have a question about pronunciation. I believe a number of this group is English, so may I please ask how I should pronounce "Bournemouth"? And just checking that "Lambeth" should be pronounced as it looks ("Lam-beth"), not something like "Lem-buth"?

Thank you!
Linda
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

lindapwebster wrote: August 3rd, 2021, 8:38 pm Before recording Act 3, I have a question about pronunciation. I believe a number of this group is English, so may I please ask how I should pronounce "Bournemouth"? And just checking that "Lambeth" should be pronounced as it looks ("Lam-beth"), not something like "Lem-buth"?
The Normal English pronunciation is BORN-muth rather than mouth.
Lambeth should be LAM-buth rather than beth.
Hope this helps. Always happy to help with English place names which are often pronounced differently than they are spelt :D
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

But anyone that does it "wrong" in the play just has a different accent, and so doesn't have to go back and change anything.

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: August 4th, 2021, 3:39 amBut anyone that does it "wrong" in the play just has a different accent, and so doesn't have to go back and change anything.
do I sense trepidation that someone (I won't name names) is afraid he may not pass muster with Lady Ball-Jennings' DPL scrutiny ? :twisted:

Beware a Glyda/Glynda remake ! :mrgreen:

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

More likely a Grumpysnipes/Guttersnipe remake here.

Shaking in fear, Todd