COMPLETE[PLAY]The Devil's Disciple by Shaw - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
JoannaHoyt

Post by JoannaHoyt »

silverquill wrote: October 10th, 2021, 10:24 pm I'm sorry for not getting those little corrections right in for you.

I've done the final edit on Acts II and III, so you will have them whenever you're ready.
There were a couple of odd places where there were remarks in parentheses that I wasn't sure about being stage directions, but they are there and you can cut anything that doesn't belong or that you don't need.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/devilsdisciple_stage_2.mp3 32:02
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/devilsdisciple_stage_3.mp3 35:28
Thank you very much!
Yes, the text here is oddly set up--various character lines seem to have been typeset as parts of the stage directions. Thanks for reading everything. I'll sort it out.
Thank you again for reading these very long pieces with wit and grace. Will PL soon.
Back from a low-internet no-Librivox year in Georgia. Glad to be with you again.
JoannaHoyt

Post by JoannaHoyt »

silverquill wrote: October 10th, 2021, 10:24 pm I'm sorry for not getting those little corrections right in for you.

I've done the final edit on Acts II and III, so you will have them whenever you're ready.
There were a couple of odd places where there were remarks in parentheses that I wasn't sure about being stage directions, but they are there and you can cut anything that doesn't belong or that you don't need.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/devilsdisciple_stage_2.mp3 32:02
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/devilsdisciple_stage_3.mp3 35:28
Thank you again for this marathon read.
Act II is all correct except one.missing line at 17:56: "Showing the handcuffs" --If you send that line in a separate file I'll stick it in when I get it.

Act III has several missing pieces--piece these in or just record them in a separate file, whichever is easier.
16:50
"Burgoyne, as the servant passes" should be "Burgoyne, as the sergeant passes"

16:57 missing line "He goes out"

20:35 missing line "The sergeant takes out a pair of handcuffs and looks to Burgoyne for instructions."

22:59 missing line "He goes out"

23:06 missing paragraph (it wasn't italicized, which made things more confusing): "As noon approaches there is excitement in the market place. The gallows which hangs there permanently for the terror of evildoers, with such minor advertizers and examples of crime as the pillory, the whipping post, and the stocks, has a new rope attached, with the noose hitched up to one of the uprights, out of reach of the boys. Its ladder, too, has been brought out and placed in position by the town beadle, who stands by to guard it from unauthorized climbing. The Websterbridge townsfolk are present in force, and in high spirits; for the news has spread that it is the devil’s disciple and not the minister that the Continentals (so they call Burgoyne’s forces) are about to hang: consequently the execution can be enjoyed without any misgiving as to its righteousness, or to the cowardice of allowing it to take place without a struggle. There is even some fear of a disappointment as midday approaches and the arrival of the beadle with the ladder remains the only sign of preparation. But at last reassuring shouts of Here they come: Here they are, are heard; and a company of soldiers with fixed bayonets, half British infantry, half Hessians, tramp quickly into the middle of the market place, driving the crowd to the sides."

34:30 "praying Yankee Doodle" should be "playing Yankee Doodle"
Back from a low-internet no-Librivox year in Georgia. Glad to be with you again.
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

Joanna- I’m planning on listening to Act 1 in the morning. Sorry for the delay!
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Oh, my!
And I went over these so carefully, or so I thought. And just a huge oversight to miss a whole paragraph. :oops:

As long as you gave me the option, here are the individual lines in separate files. If anything still doesn't sound right or fit, I'm happy to rework anything so that it sounds good.

Thanks for your patience. :D

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/devilsdisciple_stage_line_2.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/devilsdisciple_stage_lines_3.mp3
~ Larry
JoannaHoyt

Post by JoannaHoyt »

jennlea wrote: October 11th, 2021, 9:23 pm Joanna- I’m planning on listening to Act 1 in the morning. Sorry for the delay!
Thank you! This isn't delayed--as I said, I probably won't get to editing acts 2 and 3 until the weekend anyway.

I ought to have said when I posted Act I: I am very open to constructive criticism--this is my first time editing a drama and I wasn't sure about how much to even out the volume, how long to make the pauses between speakers, etc. And I've left out some of the single-adverb stage directions where it seemed to me that the voice acting made them clear (this is particularly true of the many repetitions of "Anne Dudgeon, vindictively/threateningly/furiously/resetnfully"...) but Larry read them all and I'd be glad to reinsert any that you think would be helpful.

Thanks again!
JoannaHoyt

Post by JoannaHoyt »

silverquill wrote: October 11th, 2021, 10:35 pm Oh, my!
And I went over these so carefully, or so I thought. And just a huge oversight to miss a whole paragraph. :oops:

As long as you gave me the option, here are the individual lines in separate files. If anything still doesn't sound right or fit, I'm happy to rework anything so that it sounds good.

Thank you! All these lines are clear and excellent; everything's PL OK. And I would think it would be very easy to miss lines when there are so many of them, and when the Gutenberg formatting is erratic so that some character speeches are typeset as stage directions and vice versa... Thanks again! :9:
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

Wow! What a talented bunch of folks we have here on the drama forum. I always love to hear how these play come together when we record our parts separately yet it sounds like we had been rehearsing! Everyone played their parts in this act to perfection :9:

Lovely job editing! I'm still learning the finesse of editing plays myself :)

Nothing stood out to me in the way of spacing and volume. It all flowed well. I think the stage directions you did and didn't use felt very appropriate. I do have one note for you to fix or not as you see fit.

-"Act 1" at 1:15 sounds like there was extra text after it that had been cut off. I think if you remove it completely it would be fine because the act number was already said at the very beginning of the file. Another option if you'd like to keep it would be to cut the space between "Act 1" and "At the most wretched hour..." so it flows together and doesn't stick out as much. Does that make sense? Again, totally your choice on what to do here. Just mentioning it as something I noticed.
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

JoannaHoyt wrote: October 12th, 2021, 3:05 am
Thank you! All these lines are clear and excellent; everything's PL OK. And I would think it would be very easy to miss lines when there are so many of them, and when the Gutenberg formatting is erratic so that some character speeches are typeset as stage directions and vice versa... Thanks again! :9:
Thanks for making it easy!

I do a lot of script preparation for these type of stage directions. I highlight everything by sight, then search for all of the parentheses to find ones I missed. Then I do a first edit to cut repeats and adjust the spacing, then a final edit following the text closely and usually still find some missed lines and misreads to correct. Even with all that, things are missed, which is why we all need a proof listener.

It is the usual practice, at least here, to read everything so the editor has the option of using or omitting them. So many of the stage directions are just voice directions which usually are better left out, as you have seen. GBS is quite prolific and detailed, and none of these would appear in a stage production, except some of narrative, perhaps, if the director chose to be creative with the script. I've done a lot of stage directions here, and Arthur Wing Pinero is another playwright who has tons of stage directions to the point the they almost create another character in the play.

Anyway, thank for taking on a monumental task in producing this play!
I'm looking forward to the final production. :D
~ Larry
JoannaHoyt

Post by JoannaHoyt »

jennlea wrote: October 12th, 2021, 6:32 am Wow! What a talented bunch of folks we have here on the drama forum. I always love to hear how these play come together when we record our parts separately yet it sounds like we had been rehearsing! Everyone played their parts in this act to perfection :9:

Lovely job editing! I'm still learning the finesse of editing plays myself :)

Nothing stood out to me in the way of spacing and volume. It all flowed well. I think the stage directions you did and didn't use felt very appropriate. I do have one note for you to fix or not as you see fit.

-"Act 1" at 1:15 sounds like there was extra text after it that had been cut off. I think if you remove it completely it would be fine because the act number was already said at the very beginning of the file. Another option if you'd like to keep it would be to cut the space between "Act 1" and "At the most wretched hour..." so it flows together and doesn't stick out as much. Does that make sense? Again, totally your choice on what to do here. Just mentioning it as something I noticed.
Thanks, Jenn--you're right, that did sound awkward. I've cut out the second "Act 1" and reuploaded the file. Thank you very much for the prompt PL! :clap: And yes, there's so much delightful acting in here... :9:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/devilsdisciple_1_shaw_128kb.mp3
JoannaHoyt

Post by JoannaHoyt »

silverquill wrote: October 12th, 2021, 7:13 am
It is the usual practice, at least here, to read everything so the editor has the option of using or omitting them. So many of the stage directions are just voice directions which usually are better left out, as you have seen. GBS is quite prolific and detailed, and none of these would appear in a stage production, except some of narrative, perhaps, if the director chose to be creative with the script. I've done a lot of stage directions here, and Arthur Wing Pinero is another playwright who has tons of stage directions to the point the they almost create another character in the play.

Anyway, thank for taking on a monumental task in producing this play!
I'm looking forward to the final production. :D
Thank you for reading everything--I had seen that that was the practice. Still figuring out which ones to leave in and which to omit, and mostly erring on the side of leaving in... I have read not seen Shaw's plays, and have wondered how different the experience of seeing them would be. The detailed descriptions of furniture placement would be unnecessary, which would be lovely; but I might miss some of the un-actable authorial asides like the bit in Act I about why the Godly women of the Dudgeon family were not thrilled by the idea of equality before the Throne...

It's great fun putting this together. Thank you!
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

JoannaHoyt wrote: October 12th, 2021, 3:11 pm
Thanks, Jenn--you're right, that did sound awkward. I've cut out the second "Act 1" and reuploaded the file. Thank you very much for the prompt PL! :clap: And yes, there's so much delightful acting in here... :9:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/devilsdisciple_1_shaw_128kb.mp3
Sounds great and is PL-OK! :clap:

Looking forward to the next act!
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
JoannaHoyt

Post by JoannaHoyt »

silverquill wrote: October 11th, 2021, 10:35 pm Oh, my!

Sorry--I noticed one minor fix that I'd missed as I'm assembling Act 2. Where the text has "his eye catches Judith’s as she looks quickly and haughtily up", I am hearing "as he looks quickly and haughtily up..." which does somewhat alter the sense of what's going on between the characters, and you're speaking quickly and smoothly enough here so I don't think I can just paste a "she" from somewhere else in convincingly. Would you be willing to re-record that line in a separate file and send it in? Sorry I missed this before.
JoannaHoyt

Post by JoannaHoyt »

jennlea wrote: October 12th, 2021, 6:22 pm
Sorry the next act took so long. This month has been a bit of a complicated mess. But here's Act 2, duration 45:56. I've started editing Act 3 but don't know when I'll have it done. Thank you very much for PLing--and also, again, for your splendid Judith, who does so much of the heavy lifting in this act...
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/devilsdisciple_2_shaw_128kb.mp3
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I will be out of touch this Wednesday through to the next (27 Oct - 3 Nov). I should be able to get to the forum, but not MW or cataloging things.

Thanks, Todd
JoannaHoyt

Post by JoannaHoyt »

jennlea wrote: October 12th, 2021, 6:22 pm

Here's Act 3, duration 1:05:10. Checker is flagging it for being too long and says files shouldn't be over 60 minutes, but I thought I had seen on the forum that 72 minutes was the actual outside limit. If I do need to get this down under an hour, I can probably do that by cutting more of the optional stage directions and shortening up the pauses... but I hope not to have to do that.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/devilsdisciple_3_shaw_128kb.mp3