COMPLETE[PLAY]The Devil's Disciple by Shaw - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
JoannaHoyt

Post by JoannaHoyt »

The Devil's Disciple by George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)
Set during the American Revolution. Richard Dudgeon, put off by the dour religious ferocity of his mother and many of his neighbors, declares himself to be the devil's disciple, befriends the town's disreputable characters, repulses minister Anthony Anderson's dutiful attempts to guide and rescue him, and takes a certain grim satisfaction in the shocked disapproval of his neighbors, including Anderson's young wife Judith. But when the British Army under General Burgoyne approaches, seeking prominent rebels to hang, Richard, Anthony, and Judith are faced with a crisis that knocks them all loose from their comfortable roles. Rudeness, repartee, role reversal, irony, heroics, and excessive authorial commentary abound. (Summary by Joanna Michal Hoyt)
This project is complete. Audio files can be found on our catalog page at https://librivox.org/the-devils-disciple-by-george-bernard-shaw/

Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/3638

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming roles: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available roles. Post a reply in this thread asking for the role you would like to record.
Please note: All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
  • Project Code: 51XHKujq
  • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Bernard_Shaw (George Bernard Shaw)
  • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Devil's_Disciple_(play)
  • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 31
  • Does the project have an introduction or preface: No
  • Original publication date (if known): 1897
  • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
  • Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:

Genres for the project: Plays

Keywords that describe the book: satire, history, religion, american revolution

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

For individual roles:
Submit one file per act. At the beginning of the first file, say:
"Character, read by your name."
Leave 3-5 seconds of space between your lines (room noise, not generated silence).

For narration/stage directions:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Act # of The Devil's Disciple by George Bernard Shaw. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org."
At the end of each file say:
"End of Act #."
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Devil's Disciple by George Bernard Shaw"
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename:
For individual roles: devilsdisciple_role_#.mp3 where # is the act number. (e.g. devilsdisciple_romeo_1.mp3)
For final files: devilsdisciple_#_shaw_128kb.mp3 where # is the act number. (e.g. devilsdisciple_1_shaw_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: toddhw

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Last edited by JoannaHoyt on October 12th, 2021, 3:07 am, edited 6 times in total.
Back from a low-internet no-Librivox year in Georgia. Glad to be with you again.
JoannaHoyt

Post by JoannaHoyt »

Casting will be gender-neutral, and I am looking for a proof listener for the completed acts. I will PL individual roles as they're submitted.
This is my first time coordinating a play, so please bear with me.
I'll be reading Richard Dudgeon.
Back from a low-internet no-Librivox year in Georgia. Glad to be with you again.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

I would be glad to take the rather extensive stage directions.
~ Larry
NOTE: Traveling without internet until March 17
JoannaHoyt

Post by JoannaHoyt »

silverquill wrote: June 9th, 2021, 10:24 am I would be glad to take the rather extensive stage directions.
Thank you! Looking forward to hearing your reading.
I was thinking of leaving out the Notes at the end and just reading the directions themselves--which are still quite extensive.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I'll MC and set this up.

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

All set up - MW ready to be filled in.

Thanks, Todd

(NOTE: When you use the template to set up a play - don't use DRAMA: - it thinks that is part of the title. Don't include the author (by George, etc) as part of the title - that goes somewhere else in the template. With these as you put them into the template title line, the first posting showed upload filenames and the intro/outro text with DRAMA and by George....

And you are not the Translator - there isn't one. That would only be used if there was a translator from a foreign language. You ended up with Translated by...you in the Intro/Outro text.

I fixed all that. Should be fine now.)
JoannaHoyt

Post by JoannaHoyt »

ToddHW wrote: June 9th, 2021, 11:20 am All set up - MW ready to be filled in.

Thanks, Todd

(NOTE: When you use the template to set up a play - don't use DRAMA: - it thinks that is part of the title. Don't include the author (by George, etc) as part of the title - that goes somewhere else in the template. With these as you put them into the template title line, the first posting showed upload filenames and the intro/outro text with DRAMA and by George....

And you are not the Translator - there isn't one. That would only be used if there was a translator from a foreign language. You ended up with Translated by...you in the Intro/Outro text.

I fixed all that. Should be fine now.)
Thank you very much for coordinating, and for all the fixes,and for the notes--I'll do this better next time. :oops:
Will set up the MW tonight.
WendyKatzHiller

Post by WendyKatzHiller »

If it's available, I'd love to claim Mrs. Anne Dudgeon.

Thanks,
Wendy
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

May I read General Burgoyne?

He is an Englishman and I do have an English accent.
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
JoannaHoyt

Post by JoannaHoyt »

WendyKatzHiller wrote: June 9th, 2021, 11:27 am If it's available, I'd love to claim Mrs. Anne Dudgeon.

Thanks,
Wendy
Thank you! She's all yours. Looking forward to hearing your reading...
JoannaHoyt

Post by JoannaHoyt »

alanmapstone wrote: June 9th, 2021, 12:00 pm May I read General Burgoyne?

He is an Englishman and I do have an English accent.
Yes please, thank you! When you mentioned before that you'd take a role I was hoping you might opt for Gentlemanly Johnny....
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Joanna,

One thing that I do for the MW is putting the claiming date in the notes column there for the first section of each role. That way, in case any readers do not submit files by the end of the allowed 2 months, it is easy to see that they are overdue and orphan the part so that someone else gets a chance. (I will also indicate there if they have requested/been granted an extension before that time.)

Thanks, Todd
JoannaHoyt

Post by JoannaHoyt »

ToddHW wrote: June 9th, 2021, 4:29 pm Joanna,

One thing that I do for the MW is putting the claiming date in the notes column there for the first section of each role. That way, in case any readers do not submit files by the end of the allowed 2 months, it is easy to see that they are overdue and orphan the part so that someone else gets a chance. (I will also indicate there if they have requested/been granted an extension before that time.)

Thanks, Todd
Will do. Thank you!
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

Hi Joanna! May I claim Judith?

I’d also be happy to PL the completed acts for you :)
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
JoannaHoyt

Post by JoannaHoyt »

jennlea wrote: June 9th, 2021, 9:00 pm Hi Joanna! May I claim Judith?

I’d also be happy to PL the completed acts for you :)
She's yours. Thank you very much for reading and PLing!