COMPLETE[PLAY]The Devil's Disciple by Shaw - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
JoannaHoyt

Post by JoannaHoyt »

Kalamareader wrote: June 12th, 2021, 7:56 pm

Joanna,

Here is Lawyer Hawkins. Seems like a very nice guy, not your typical lawyer :lol:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/devilsdisciple_hawkins_1.mp3

Thanks for the chance,

Wayne
Thank you, Wayne! This is delightfully read, and I particularly appreciate the little lawyerly sniffs of deprecation of wrong phraseology.

Three minor corrections:
At 4:25, I hear “Mr. Dudgeon” for “Mrs. Dudgeon”

Also, Hawkins has one more speech of his own just after the last one you recorded, beginning “Because, sir, the courts will sustain the claim of a man...”—I see that the Gutenberg script ascribes the words to “Hawking” not Hawkins, but as there is no Hawking in the play and it follows from Hawkins’ other answers about the legality of the will I think it really is your speech. Sorry, I should have made a note of that.

Also, near the end of Act 1 "ALL THE MEN (except Anderson)" say "No,no, no." I think that should include Hawkins.

...And yes, Hawkins seems a very nice guy indeed, much more so than any of the legitimate members of the family he's dealing with. . . I've known two lawyers personally,and two lawyers and three law students more professionally (people from a law clinic who helped me with setting up a nonprofit), and I experienced three of the lawyers and two of the law students as very nice people.
Last edited by JoannaHoyt on June 13th, 2021, 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Back from a low-internet no-Librivox year in Georgia. Glad to be with you again.
MManolakes

Post by MManolakes »

JoannaHoyt

Post by JoannaHoyt »

MManolakes wrote: June 13th, 2021, 11:58 am Rev. Anderson, Act 1, duration 6:01

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/devilsdisciple_anderson_1.mp3

Mike
Thank you very much! Rev. Anderson's first act is PL OK, and I really like your portrayal of the Reverend...
Back from a low-internet no-Librivox year in Georgia. Glad to be with you again.
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

JoannaHoyt wrote: June 13th, 2021, 6:27 am
Kalamareader wrote: June 12th, 2021, 7:56 pm Joanna,
Here is Lawyer Hawkins. Seems like a very nice guy, not your typical lawyer :lol:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/devilsdisciple_hawkins_1.mp3
Thanks for the chance,
Wayne

Thank you, Wayne! This is delightfully read, and I particularly appreciate the little lawyerly sniffs of deprecation of wrong phraseology.

Three minor corrections:
At 4:25, I hear “Mr. Dudgeon” for “Mrs. Dudgeon”

Also, Hawkins has one more speech of his own just after the last one you recorded, beginning “Because, sir, the courts will sustain the claim of a man...”—I see that the Gutenberg script ascribes the words to “Hawking” not Hawkins, but as there is no Hawking in the play and it follows from Hawkins’ other answers about the legality of the will I think it really is your speech. Sorry, I should have made a note of that.

Also, near the end of Act 1 "ALL THE MEN (except Anderson)" say "No,no, no." I think that should include Hawkins.

...And yes, Hawkins seems a very nice guy indeed, much more so than any of the legitimate members of the family he's dealing with. . . I've known two lawyers personally,and two lawyers and three law students more professionally (people from a law clinic who helped me with setting up a nonprofit), and I experienced three of the lawyers and two of the law students as very nice people.
Joanna,

Here is the corrected Hawkins (Hawking): https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/devilsdisciple_hawkins_1.mp3

The first correction I just spaced. Duh, how did I miss that.

The second one, I read it as I went through the play, but forgot all about it when it came time to read. :roll:

Wayne

P.S. Thanks for the kind words. :9:
Wayne
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public. :mrgreen:
JoannaHoyt

Post by JoannaHoyt »

Kalamareader wrote: June 15th, 2021, 7:28 pm

Joanna,

Here is the corrected Hawkins (Hawking): https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/devilsdisciple_hawkins_1.mp3

The first correction I just spaced. Duh, how did I miss that.

The second one, I read it as I went through the play, but forgot all about it when it came time to read. :roll:

Wayne

P.S. Thanks for the kind words. :9:
Thank you for the prompt and lively reading! :clap: Hawkins is now PL OK.
JoannaHoyt

Post by JoannaHoyt »

JHedrick

Post by JHedrick »

Jim in Ohio

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
JoannaHoyt

Post by JoannaHoyt »

Thank you! Both are PL OK and splendidly acted. Thank you,also, for reading your first line even though it's just marked as "A Voice."
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

May I play Christy Dudgeon? I love a good fool....

Thanks, Todd
JoannaHoyt

Post by JoannaHoyt »

ToddHW wrote: June 20th, 2021, 4:03 am May I play Christy Dudgeon? I love a good fool....

Thanks, Todd
Please do--thank you! Having heard your memorable reading of the Clown in the Birth of Merlin, I thought when I set this play up that it would be delightful if you'd play Christy, but I wasn't sure it was a part one could invite someone to without offense...
MManolakes

Post by MManolakes »

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

JoannaHoyt wrote: June 20th, 2021, 6:29 am
ToddHW wrote: June 20th, 2021, 4:03 am May I play Christy Dudgeon? I love a good fool....

Thanks, Todd
Please do--thank you! Having heard your memorable reading of the Clown in the Birth of Merlin, I thought when I set this play up that it would be delightful if you'd play Christy, but I wasn't sure it was a part one could invite someone to without offense...
Thanks, I think. I will try to live down to your expectations.

Todd
JoannaHoyt

Post by JoannaHoyt »

ToddHW wrote: June 21st, 2021, 3:45 pm [
Thanks, I think. I will try to live down to your expectations.

Todd
You're welcome, I'm sure. :D I think it takes a deal of wit (in both senses) to play the fool well and deliberately... most of the time when I play the fool convincingly it's also genuinely and inadvertently. It sounds as though you've actually mastered acting the fool on purpose.
JoannaHoyt

Post by JoannaHoyt »

MManolakes wrote: June 21st, 2021, 3:22 pm Rev. Anderson, Act 2, duration 19:43

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/devilsdisciple_anderson_2.mp3

Mike
Thank you! Act 2 is PL OK,and I am enjoying your Anderson very much.
JoannaHoyt

Post by JoannaHoyt »