COMPLETE[PLAY]The Great Galeoto, by Echegaray - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

The Great Galeoto, by José Echegaray y Eizaguirre (1832 - 1916), translated by Hannah Lynch (1859 - 1904)
"What touches us more closely is Echegaray's manipulation of the modern conscience, and its illimitable scope for reflection, for conflict, and the many-sided drama of temptation.... Not even Tolstoi, with all that delicacy and keenness of the Russian conscience, that profound seriousness, which moves us so variously in his great books, has a nobler consciousness of the dignity of suffering and virtue than this Spanish dramatist. And not less capable is he of a jesting survey of life." Echegaray won the Nobel Prize for literature in 1904. This play was made into movies several times in both its original Spanish and in English.
(Summary by The Translator)
This project is complete. Audio files can be found on our catalog page at https://librivox.org/the-great-galeoto-by-jose-echegaray-y-eizaguirre/

Duty, honor, blood and sadness. Gender neutral.

Kitty will play Dona Mercedes (hey, if you can't drive a Mercedes, you can at least play one!), as well as being our long suffering DPL (watch out that she does not run you over).

Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/greatgaleotofoll00eche/page/n41/mode/2up

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming roles: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available roles. Post a reply in this thread asking for the role you would like to record.
Please note: All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
  • Project Code: XDJjQUlF
  • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/José_Echegaray (José Echegaray y Eizaguirre)
  • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
  • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 27
  • Does the project have an introduction or preface: No
  • Original publication date (if known): 1895
  • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
  • Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:

Genres for the project: Plays/Drama

Keywords that describe the book: honor, duty, reputation

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

For individual roles:
Submit one file per act. At the beginning of the first file, say:
"Character, read by your name."
Leave 3-5 seconds of space between your lines (room noise, not generated silence).

For narration/stage directions:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Act # of The Great Galeoto, by José Echegaray y Eizaguirre, translated by Hannah Lynch. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org."
At the end of each file say:
"End of Act #."
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Great Galeoto, by José Echegaray y Eizaguirre, translated by Hannah Lynch."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename:
For individual roles: greatgaleoto_role_#.mp3 where # is the act number. (e.g. greatgaleoto_romeo_1.mp3)
For final files: greatgaleoto_#_echegarayyeizaguirre_128kb.mp3 where # is the act number. (e.g. greatgaleoto_1_echegarayyeizaguirre_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: toddhw

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

:shock: so quickly...

Well, I could read the stage directions if you like. Let's see what the "hammy style" is all about. :)
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Actually, not that hammy. Pinero and other playwrights have many more stage directions than you will find here.

Thanks, Todd
WendyKatzHiller

Post by WendyKatzHiller »

Um. This doesn't seem to be the right text link.

Try this one?
https://archive.org/details/greatgaleotodram00eche/page/16/mode/2up

Wendy
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Don Severo please 😺

Now I get to be Sonia's husband 😾
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

WendyKatzHiller wrote: May 31st, 2021, 9:00 am Um. This doesn't seem to be the right text link.

Try this one?
https://archive.org/details/greatgaleotodram00eche/page/16/mode/2up

Wendy
Fixed.

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

alanmapstone wrote: May 31st, 2021, 9:21 am Don Severo please 😺

Thank you.

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

:shock: how could I miss this launch ? Well...confirming DPL and Donna Mercedes :)
alanmapstone wrote: May 31st, 2021, 9:21 amDon Severo please 😺
do I sense a sort of trepidation or reluctance here ? I am not that bad, you know
(ask Todd how nice I am always... right, Todd ? *angel smilie* right ?! *kicks him into action*)

Now I have probably lulled you into security...let's start.
At least you can tell your neighbours that you have a Mercedes now. :lol:

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

We have a new person asking for a part here so I thought I'd repost some helpful hints.

1) you don't have to read an intro or outro disclaimer, this will be done by the narrator. Instead, record your voice credit at the beginning of the file using the words in the MW, which should be something like: "Catherine, read by XXXX" (whatever you use for your reader name)

2) then browse through the text and record all the lines you have to speak. Also include any "All" lines while your character is on stage. For a big role it may be good to read the entire play to get into character, but at least it would be good to read a bit around your lines, see what the others are saying, so you can better "react" to them. Just be as expressive (according to the character) as you can in your role.

3) if there are pointers in the text qualifying your voice, like [laughs] or [whines], an added bonus would be that you act those out in your reading, if possible, to make it all more interesting.

4) You prepare and upload a separate file for each Act that your character is in. (Note - the section numbers change as I move stuff around on the MW, so remember character name, not section numbers.) Your file will be proof-listened, and you may receive some notes on corrections and their time locations in your file. These will be posted in the forum and show in the Magic Window marked as "See PL Notes" - please cut corrections into your file to update it and upload a new file (SAME NAME) in a reasonable time - like before your voice and equipment setup change and everything sounds different!

5) and most importantly: please leave enough space between each of your speeches, preferably 4-5 seconds or more. Even when you have the stage directions in the middle of your speech (for example: [kisses her hand]), also leave 4-5 seconds of pause there, because our editor (me) later on has to copy all your parts and paste them into his (my) master file and it's helpful if he (me) has enough space to fiddle with

That's it, I think. Just have fun acting out. And post any questions here.

Thanks, Todd
Nissy

Post by Nissy »

Thanks for having me on board! I appreciate the hints - they're really helpful.
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

I would love to get in on the start of this project. May I claim Don Julian?

Thank you!

Greg
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Don Severo act 1

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/greatgaeoto_donsevero_1.mp3

This play seems a bit slow getting started, so I will try to give it a prod :lol:

BTW: The MC isn't named under the uploader link in the first post.
Alan
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

before I continue, I have to ask...were you reading from the right source linked in the first post ? Because the first three sentences are deviating too much for it to be a simple coincidence. :hmm:

Sonia
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Kitty wrote: June 18th, 2021, 5:21 am
before I continue, I have to ask...were you reading from the right source linked in the first post ? Because the first three sentences are deviating too much for it to be a simple coincidence.
Hi Sonia
You are right. I have somehow got hold of a different translation. I can only think that the first post had a different link when first posted and that Todd later changed it.
So ignore that file and I will do it again but not until next week. Just as well there is not too much of it :hmm:
Alan