[COMPLETE]Wives on Strike by Lillian Sutton Pelée-mtf

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

ToddHW wrote: April 26th, 2021, 6:21 am Okay, I'll be the parrot.

Sheez, the opinions some people have of me....

Thanks, Todd
Thank you, Todd! I have a feeling the parrot will be stealing the show!
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

:lol: :clap:

I'm sure that Jenn will have as many crackers as you want available for you!
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Braawck! Braawck!

Todd
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

What a good birdie!! Have a cracker, Polly!
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
feminerdist

Post by feminerdist »

I'm new around here, but I'd love to take a crack at Patricia Duggan!

~ Anna Maria
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

feminerdist wrote: April 27th, 2021, 9:46 am I'm new around here, but I'd love to take a crack at Patricia Duggan!

~ Anna Maria
Hi Anna Maria! Welcome to LibriVox! Happy to have you participate in this play as Patricia Duggan! I see you've already submitted a 1-minute test. Just wait to record for this project until you get feedback so that you know your tech specs are correct. Please let me know what name you would like for your Reader Page and I'll get that set up for you. The name on your Reader Page is what shows up in the LibriVox catalogue. You can use your forum name, real name, pseudonym, whatever you’d like! We can also link to a personal web site/blog.

A few of our illustrious Drama folks have written some tips to help you get started here on Dramatic Works projects. I was warned it was addicting hanging out in the Dramatic Works forum and I’ll pass on the warning to you :)

1) you don't have to read an intro or outro disclaimer, this will be done by the narrator. Instead, record your voice credit at the beginning of the file using the words in the MW, which should be something like: "Matilda O'Fipp, the Colonel's Daughter, read by XXXX" (whatever you use for your reader name)

2) then browse through the text and record all the lines you have to speak. Also include any "All" lines while your character is on stage. For a big role it may be good to read the entire play to get into character, but at least it would be good to read a bit around your lines, see what the others are saying, so you can better "react" to them. Just be as expressive (according to the character) as you can in your role.

3) if there are pointers in the text qualifying your voice, like [laughs] or [whines], an added bonus would be that you act those out in your reading, if possible, to make it all more interesting.

4) You prepare and upload a separate file for each Act that your character is in. (Note - the section numbers change as I move stuff around on the MW, so remember character name, not section numbers.) Your file will be proof-listened, and you may receive some notes on corrections and their time locations in your file. These will be posted in the forum and show in the Magic Window marked as "See PL Notes" - please cut corrections into your file to update it and upload a new file (SAME NAME) in a reasonable time - like before your voice and equipment setup change and everything sounds different!

5) and most importantly: please leave enough space between each of your speeches, preferably 4-5 seconds or more. Even when you have the stage directions in the middle of your speech (for example: [kisses her hand]), also leave 4-5 seconds of pause there, because our editor (me) later on has to copy all your parts and paste them into her (my) master file and it's helpful if she (me) has enough space to fiddle with.

That's it, I think. Just have fun acting out! And post any questions here :)
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
feminerdist

Post by feminerdist »

Thank you! And Anna Maria is what I'd like to have for the reader page.

I'll keep all of that in mind and wait for the response to the test reading before doing any recording. Thanks for getting back to me!
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

feminerdist wrote: April 27th, 2021, 2:13 pm Thank you! And Anna Maria is what I'd like to have for the reader page.

I'll keep all of that in mind and wait for the response to the test reading before doing any recording. Thanks for getting back to me!
Alrighty! You are all set! Here is your reader page:
https://librivox.org/reader/16152

You can also get to it by clicking on your name in any Magic Window where you have something assigned to you. If you click on "Reader section details" you will see a list of all your current projects and is helpful to keep track of everything. Have fun!
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

jennlea wrote: April 25th, 2021, 7:13 pm
mightyfelix wrote: April 25th, 2021, 6:34 pm This looks fabulous, Jenn! I'll MC for you. I'll also play Shesha, if you think I'm enough of a nonentity. :wink:
Thank you, Devorah! I will sign you up for Shesha though I don't think you fit the "simpering nonentity" at all :)
mightyfelix wrote: April 25th, 2021, 6:57 pm This is a new author for us, too, which is always exciting. I can't find any information on her. Where did you find her birth and death dates, Jenn?
I had to do some digging to find her dates. I sent the following info to Todd a couple weeks ago for his opinion and we both felt that it pointed to the author of this play and was PD for all:
https://www.myheritage.com/names/lillian_pelee:

Lillian Pelee was born on month day 1872, at birth place, Missouri, to Sutton and House.
Lillian passed away on month day 1948, at age 75 at death place, California.

I've bolded the parts that leads me to believe this is the correct info for the author I'm looking for and that her death date makes the play available to the readers in countries that are death +70. The play was published in 1920.
Jenn,

I just found this play, and as doing this kind of stuff is one of my hobbies, I found some more evidence of Mrs. Pelee. Here is a link in Ancestry.com https://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&dbid=4394&h=8470841&tid=&pid=&queryId=89b5d9130583e20e3bfa362062750876&usePUB=true&_phsrc=nOm6&_phstart=successSource which tells us, among other things, that Lillian Sutton Pelee (her husband was from Hungary) was listed in "Who Was Who among North American Authors, 1921-1939." Born 22 Oct. 1872 Huneywell (sic) Missouri, Died 29 Aug 1948 San Bernardino, California. And according to the records she made numerous trips by sea and later by air, to Europe.

Just having fun, :D

Wayne
Wayne
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public. :mrgreen:
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

Kalamareader wrote: April 27th, 2021, 4:41 pm
Jenn,

I just found this play, and as doing this kind of stuff is one of my hobbies, I found some more evidence of Mrs. Pelee. Here is a link in Ancestry.com https://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&dbid=4394&h=8470841&tid=&pid=&queryId=89b5d9130583e20e3bfa362062750876&usePUB=true&_phsrc=nOm6&_phstart=successSource which tells us, among other things, that Lillian Sutton Pelee (her husband was from Hungary) was listed in "Who Was Who among North American Authors, 1921-1939." Born 22 Oct. 1872 Huneywell (sic) Missouri, Died 29 Aug 1948 San Bernardino, California. And according to the records she made numerous trips by sea and later by air, to Europe.

Just having fun, :D

Wayne
Wayne,

This is amazing! Thank you! I appreciate you taking the time do a little research. I need to see what other works I can find from her!
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
sanved23

Post by sanved23 »

Could I be the DPL??
Thanks.
Sanved
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Braawk! Polly the Parrot! Braawk!

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/wivesonstrike_pollyparott_1.mp3

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/wivesonstrike_pollyparott_2.mp3

Hardest thing I have done in ages. Think I'll go molt somewhere - er, I meant single malt, of course.

Thanks, Todd
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

sanved23 wrote: April 28th, 2021, 12:09 pm Could I be the DPL??
Thanks.
Yes, that would be lovely, thank you! Devorah should be around soon to get you set up as the DPL.

PLing for a play has just a couple of special things I'll ask you to be on the lookout for.
  • Check that a voice credit is given in at least the first file each character turns in. Voice credits should match what is in the Magic Window.
  • Please make sure all lines for each character are included.
  • Using timestamps, post if there are any mistakes in lines that change the meaning of the text so readers can make corrections. Once they post corrections, you'll need to double check the spot where the correction is.
  • Check that there is at least 3-5 seconds in-between each line, including space in-between stage directions that appear within a line.
I think that's about it! If you have any questions, feel free to ask!
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

ToddHW wrote: April 28th, 2021, 2:49 pm Braawk! Polly the Parrot! Braawk!

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/wivesonstrike_pollyparott_1.mp3

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/wivesonstrike_pollyparott_2.mp3

Hardest thing I have done in ages. Think I'll go molt somewhere - er, I meant single malt, of course.

Thanks, Todd
:lol: :lol:

Thank you for getting us started, Todd! Hope you enjoyed your single malt!
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

sanved23 wrote: April 28th, 2021, 12:09 pm Could I be the DPL??
Thanks.
Ok, you're in! And with that, I think we are ready for the Drama forum. :thumbs: