[COMPLETE]Wives on Strike by Lillian Sutton Pelée-mtf

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

Wives on Strike, by Lillian Sutton Pelée (1872 - 1948)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/wives-on-strike-by-lillian-sutton-pelee/
The "Wives' Welfare Club" is meeting together so they may air grievances about their husbands and the inequality that women experience. During this meeting the wives decide to "go on Strike" and nominate Jane Spink to be the test case. Betty, who is a newlywed of only 30 days, boasts of her husband's perfect qualities and is amused at the other wives complaints. However, as she returns home she realizes she just might end up on strike as well! (Summary by Jenn Broda)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/wivesonstrike00pel/page/n1/mode/2up

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming roles: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available roles. Post a reply in this thread asking for the role you would like to record.
Please note: All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

Genres for the project: Plays/Comedy

Keywords that describe the book: women's rights, equality, husbands vs wives

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

For individual roles:
Submit one file per act. At the beginning of the first file, say:
"Character, read by your name."
Leave 3-5 seconds of space between your lines (room noise, not generated silence).

For narration/stage directions:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Act # of Wives on Strike, by Lillian Sutton Pelée. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org."
At the end of each file say:
"End of Act #."
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Wives on Strike, by Lillian Sutton Pelée."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename:
For individual roles: wivesonstrike_role_#.mp3 where # is the act number. (e.g. wivesonstrike_romeo_1.mp3)
For final files: wivesonstrike_#_pelee_128kb.mp3 where # is the act number. (e.g. wivesonstrike_1_pelee_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: mightyfelix

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Last edited by jennlea on December 31st, 2021, 12:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

Looking for a DPL for this play. I plan on doing Lily’s role.
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

If it's not too early to claim may I read Bob Spink? I think I can be avuncular and I am certainly "bald of head" :D
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

alanmapstone wrote: April 25th, 2021, 5:26 pm If it's not too early to claim may I read Bob Spink? I think I can be avuncular and I am certainly "bald of head" :D
Bob is yours! Thanks Alan!
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

This looks fabulous, Jenn! I'll MC for you. I'll also play Shesha, if you think I'm enough of a nonentity. :wink:
WendyKatzHiller

Post by WendyKatzHiller »

Could I claim Jane?

Thanks,
Wendy
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

This is a new author for us, too, which is always exciting. I can't find any information on her. Where did you find her birth and death dates, Jenn?
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

mightyfelix wrote: April 25th, 2021, 6:34 pm This looks fabulous, Jenn! I'll MC for you. I'll also play Shesha, if you think I'm enough of a nonentity. :wink:
Thank you, Devorah! I will sign you up for Shesha though I don't think you fit the "simpering nonentity" at all :)
mightyfelix wrote: April 25th, 2021, 6:57 pm This is a new author for us, too, which is always exciting. I can't find any information on her. Where did you find her birth and death dates, Jenn?
I had to do some digging to find her dates. I sent the following info to Todd a couple weeks ago for his opinion and we both felt that it pointed to the author of this play and was PD for all:
https://www.myheritage.com/names/lillian_pelee:

Lillian Pelee was born on month day 1872, at birth place, Missouri, to Sutton and House.
Lillian passed away on month day 1948, at age 75 at death place, California.

I've bolded the parts that leads me to believe this is the correct info for the author I'm looking for and that her death date makes the play available to the readers in countries that are death +70. The play was published in 1920.
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

WendyKatzHiller wrote: April 25th, 2021, 6:46 pm Could I claim Jane?

Thanks,
Wendy
Absolutely! Thanks, Wendy!
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Nice sleuthing! :thumbs:
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

mightyfelix wrote: April 25th, 2021, 7:38 pm Nice sleuthing! :thumbs:
Thanks! I was determined to find out if this play was PD for everyone :lol:
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
AngeliqueAnja

Post by AngeliqueAnja »

Can I play Betty?

Although, I must admit, I was very tempted to try and claim the parrot!!!

Annie
DR: The Mystery of a Hansom Cab (Readers Wanted)
SOLO The Fairy Latchkey

I am without internet at the moment. Not sure for how long.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Maybe it's just me, but I'd love to hear Todd as the parrot. :mrgreen:
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Okay, I'll be the parrot.

Sheez, the opinions some people have of me....

Thanks, Todd
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

AngeliqueAnja wrote: April 26th, 2021, 2:22 am Can I play Betty?

Although, I must admit, I was very tempted to try and claim the parrot!!!

Annie
You got it! Thanks, Annie!
-Jenn B.
My Recordings