[COMPLETE]DR: The Tyranny of the Dark - mtf

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
deLorinel

Post by deLorinel »

For PL:

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/tyrannyofthedark_mortonserviss_06.mp3 - 0:39

Please do continue to inform me of the sound quality; I'm trying to improve as I go. I added a notch filter to cut the 60hz hum, and increased senstivity on the noise filter; can bump it up more if needed.
deLorinel

Post by deLorinel »

Pronunciation guide questions!

Name: Simeon
Name: Viola

I'd like to be consistent with the other readers.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Magicath420 wrote: May 26th, 2021, 4:51 pm Hi! I would like to claim the role of Anthony Clark- her pastor, for all sections. :)
Welcome to LibriVox! I'm glad that you've found your way to the Drama forum. Before you get started on recording for Anthony, please complete your one-minute test: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=1-Minute_Test This is not an audition (you have the part!), but a sound/tech check to be sure that the files you're creating will be in a usable format.

All of the information you'll need related to this project should be contained in the first post of this thread, and all of the scripts are in the second post. But if you have any questions that aren't addressed there, please ask!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

deLorinel wrote: May 28th, 2021, 8:57 am Pronunciation guide questions!

Name: Simeon
Name: Viola

I'd like to be consistent with the other readers.
I'm not being picky on pronunciation. Personally, I haven't heard any pronunciation for Simeon other than SIM-ee-uhn, or if I have, then I've forgotten it. I've heard Viola pronounced as either VY-oh-la or vee-OH-la, and I think both are fine. All I ask is that, whatever you pick, you stay consistent with it for your own lines. Different people may say it different ways, and I'm ok with that.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Honestly, I have to disagree with this one.
If you pronounce my name wrong in real life, I will correct you, for a whole bunch of reasons... :wink:

In a DR or other play, if it's names of other characters that are already (partially) recorded, you can check how they themselves pronounce it in their intro.
In this case, I pronounce my name as vee-oh-la. :D
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I understand your reasoning, but I feel that insistence on the "right" pronunciation is more trouble than it's worth. For one thing, how am I qualified to decide how the author intended it pronounced? I'm not. Secondly, there are all sorts of reasons why someone in real life would pronounce a name differently. Pet names, nicknames, accents, cultures. When I went to Chile, everyone I met pronounced my name with the stress on the first syllable, although I introduced myself with stress on the second. But culturally, that doesn't work there, so I gave up correcting anyone.

More importantly for what we do, though, it can be frustrating, especially for a new volunteer, to have a perfectly good recording returned with a list of PL notes that are all related to pronunciation. Since we don't include pronunciation in our Standard PL for standard English words, I see no reason to do it with names.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

I don't think the "I don't know how the author wanted it / pet names / nicknames" are very good arguments here. :D

Anyway, I do understand that it's impossible to enforce proper (name) pronunciation over a distributed group of volunteers that never meet. And if you're the first one recording your part, you're on your own anyway, if everybody waited for all the other parts to get in... well, we know where that would lead us. :wink:

But as much as I love to take part in LibriVox plays and DRs, this is one of the things that really irk me. And one of the reasons I hardly ever BC one. :lol:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Great, thank you! I'll do the fixes asap - except for the section 15 one, I don't see much difference in this/that. :wink:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Sounds good. Then I'll move that one to the PL ok bunch!
deLorinel

Post by deLorinel »

I didn't intend to start a feud with my pronunciation question - I simply felt that it would be in character for Serviss to pronounce names as he originally heard them. He's a precise sort of chap.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

No feuding going on. Just a difference of opinion. :D
MManolakes

Post by MManolakes »

I'd like to claim Dr. Britt.

Mike