[COMPLETE]DR: The Tyranny of the Dark - mtf

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

The Tyranny of the Dark, by Hamlin Garland (1860 - 1940)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-tyranny-of-the-dark-by-hamlin-garland/
Dr. Morton Serviss is a promising young scientist who believes in the here and now. Viola Lambert is a beautiful young woman who is haunted, and sometimes possessed, by the spirits of those who have died. After a chance meeting, they both are about to have their perceptions challenged. <br><br>

Viola longs to escape from the life of a medium, but is unable to do so. Her mother and her pastor both encourage her in her abilities, and besides, the spirits themselves will never release her. Although Dr. Serviss doesn't believe in spirits, he does see the necessity of her escaping from the life she is living, and he is determined to release her. (Summary by Devorah Allen)
Source text (please PL completed sections only from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/24220

See next post for individual scripts, as well as important info about available characters! An asterisk next to a character's name means that they may be double cast, provided that the same reader does not appear more than once per section.

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming roles: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available roles. Post a reply in this thread asking for the role you would like to record.
Please note: All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard. I will PL the individual files, and Lora (ADKreader1122) will PL the finished chapters. Thank you, Lora!
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

Genres for the project: Fantastic Fiction/Horror & Supernatural Fiction; Dramatic Readings

Keywords that describe the book: materialism, psychic, spiritism, medium, seance

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

For individual roles:
Submit one file per act. At the beginning of the first file, say:
"Character (exactly as worded in the MW), read by your name."
Leave 3-5 seconds of space between your lines (room noise, not generated silence).

For narration/stage directions:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Act # of The Tyranny of the Dark, by Hamlin Garland. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org."
At the end of each file say:
"End of Act #."
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Tyranny of the Dark, by Hamlin Garland."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename:
For individual roles: tyrannyofthedark_role_#.mp3 where # is the section number. (e.g. tyrannyofthedark_romeo_1.mp3)
For final files: tyrannyofthedark_#_garland_128kb.mp3 where # is the section number. (e.g. tyrannyofthedark_1_garland_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: mightyfelix

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Scripts: I have only used color coding in these scripts, but if the role you're interested in is in a color that you cannot make out or that you cannot distinguish from other roles, please let me know, and I can alter them into more of a script-like format!

Character Sketches (This is a quick rundown of each character, so you have an idea of who each person is): https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uwHfFHgaqnAtDqHQWygOr_LJDA10RqZRYXF933u3fGo/edit?usp=sharing
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

That sounds kinda interesting...

I'd love to do Viola, but I may sound a bit old for that, what do you think?
Alternatively, I could be mommy too, pushing her into the way of the... ahem... ghosts... :shock:
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
wib66

Post by wib66 »

Very excited for this project :9:
Michele
When you're having what you feel like is a 'bad day' and then someone comes along out of nowhere and extends to you the simplest of kind gestures, you feel it so deeply within your heart.” ―Miya Yamanouchi
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

Interested in Viola or Kate depending on which part Ava takes :)
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Umm... Whoops. I intend to play Kate and forgot to assign myself. :oops:
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Ava, would you like to play Jenn's doting mother?
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Well, if you don't think I'm sounding too old, then I'd like to stick with Viola. :)
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Ok, then Viola it is for you!

Anything else you're interested in, Jenn?
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

How about Jennie Pratt and Mina?
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

I would like to be one of the "dead", perhaps MacLeod or Loggy whichever you think will suit :?
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

jennlea wrote: April 25th, 2021, 7:52 am How about Jennie Pratt and Mina?
Ok, got it! If you want to add one or two more, You could take the Dinner Hostess and/or Adele without overlapping. No pressure, though!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

alanmapstone wrote: April 25th, 2021, 9:13 am I would like to be one of the "dead", perhaps MacLeod or Loggy whichever you think will suit :?
Ooh, I think either would be great for you! MacLeod is a bit more threatening and serious. Loggy is light-hearted and jovial. So do you want to be a nice guy or a meanie? :wink:
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

mightyfelix wrote: April 25th, 2021, 11:09 am
alanmapstone wrote: April 25th, 2021, 9:13 am I would like to be one of the "dead", perhaps MacLeod or Loggy whichever you think will suit :?
Ooh, I think either would be great for you! MacLeod is a bit more threatening and serious. Loggy is light-hearted and jovial. So do you want to be a nice guy or a meanie? :wink:
I will be the meanie :lol:
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

alanmapstone wrote: April 25th, 2021, 11:27 am
mightyfelix wrote: April 25th, 2021, 11:09 am
I will be the meanie :lol:
Got it! That means you'll have control over Ava. Until she throws you off, that is. :wink: