COMPLETE [PLAY] The Romancers by Edmond Rostand - rap

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
WendyKatzHiller

Post by WendyKatzHiller »

The Romancers, by Edmond Rostand (1868 - 1918), translated by Barrett Clark (1890 - 1953)

This project is complete and all audio files can be found in the catalogue: https://librivox.org/the-romancers-by-edmond-rostand/
By the author of Cyrano de Bergerac, this comic-romance formed the basis for the long-running 1960's musical "The Fantasticks". (Summary by WendyKatzHiller)
Source text (please read only from this text!): http://gutenberg.org/ebooks/17581

Pronunciation help:
Sylvette: Sil-VETT
Percinet: PURR-sin-AY
Straforel: STRAH-for-ell
Bergamin: BURR-gah-meh
Pasquinot: PASS-key-noh

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming roles: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available roles. Post a reply in this thread asking for the role you would like to record.
Please note: All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

[list]
[*]Project Code: jM7uHUlt
[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmond_Rostand (Edmond Rostand)
[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
[*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 22
[*]Does the project have an introduction or preface: No
[*]Original publication date (if known): 1894
[*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
[*]Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
[/list]

Genres for the project: Plays/Comedy; Plays/Romance

Keywords that describe the book:

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

For individual roles:
Submit one file per act. At the beginning of the first file, say:
"Character, read by your name."
Leave 3-5 seconds of space between your lines (room noise, not generated silence).

For narration/stage directions:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Act # of The Romancers, by Edmond Rostand, translated by Barrett Clark. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org."
At the end of each file say:
"End of Act #."
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Romancers, by Edmond Rostand, translated by Barrett Clark."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename:
For individual roles: romancers_role_#.mp3 where # is the act number. (e.g. romancers_romeo_1.mp3)
For final files: romancers_#_rostand_128kb.mp3 where # is the act number. (e.g. romancers_1_rostand_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: Rapunzelina

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Last edited by WendyKatzHiller on July 6th, 2021, 6:00 am, edited 4 times in total.
WendyKatzHiller

I plan on reading the stage directions. I will be looking for someone to DPL or PL along with me.
Wendy
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

Hi Wendy!

May I jump in early and claim Slyvette?
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
WendyKatzHiller

Of course!
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Hi, Wendy! I don't believe we've worked together before, and I don't know your mode of operation yet, so I'll set you up with a Magic Window, and leave you to it! Just let me know whenever I need to act or intervene :mrgreen:

Have fun people!
WendyKatzHiller

Rapunzelina wrote: April 23rd, 2021, 8:20 am Hi, Wendy! I don't believe we've worked together before, and I don't know your mode of operation yet, so I'll set you up with a Magic Window, and leave you to it! Just let me know whenever I need to act or intervene :mrgreen:

Have fun people!
Thanks so much! I'm looking forward to it.
Wendy
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Good job on the magic window! Looks like it's ready for Readers Wanted so here we are!
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

May I read Bergamin?

Thanks, Todd
WendyKatzHiller

Of course!

Thanks,
Wendy
sanved23

Post by sanved23 »

WendyKatzHiller wrote: April 21st, 2021, 6:10 pm I plan on reading the stage directions. I will be looking for someone to DPL or PL along with me.
Wendy
Can I be the PL?
Sanved
WendyKatzHiller

sanved23 wrote: April 28th, 2021, 9:00 am
WendyKatzHiller wrote: April 21st, 2021, 6:10 pm I plan on reading the stage directions. I will be looking for someone to DPL or PL along with me.
Wendy
Can I be the PL?
That would be great!
Thanks,
Wendy
WendyKatzHiller

Wendy
Can I be the PL?
Here's the first section of the Stage Directions for you to PL. Have you done this before? It's a bit different for plays than for books. I'll put another note after this one about some of the specifics to look for in plays, particularly in stage directions. Please still run them through the checker, though, to make sure they are between 86 and 92 db. There are general PL notes to read on the Listeners Wanted page. BTW, don't hesitate to ask if you need help. I'm actually just learning the ropes myself! Thanks for your help.

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/romancers_stagedirections_1.mp3
length: 17:36

BTW, don't worry if the pauses are too long between lines; as long as they are at least about 4 seconds, it's fine.

Thanks again,
Wendy
WendyKatzHiller

WendyKatzHiller wrote: April 28th, 2021, 9:24 am
Wendy
Can I be the PL?
That would be great!
Thanks,
Wendy
Here are ToddHW's notes I mentioned. They're for the readers, but it makes sense for the PL as well.

For characters:
I have a short summary for the important special rules in drama; here goes:

1) you don't have to read an intro or outro disclaimer, this will be done by the narrator. Instead, record your voice credit at the beginning of the file using the words in the MW, which should be something like: "Matilda O'Fipp, the Colonel's Daughter, read by XXXX" (whatever you use for your reader name)

2) then browse through the text and record all the lines you have to speak. Also include any "All" lines while your character is on stage. For a big role it may be good to read the entire play to get into character, but at least it would be good to read a bit around your lines, see what the others are saying, so you can better "react" to them. Just be as expressive (according to the character) as you can in your role.

3) if there are pointers in the text qualifying your voice, like [laughs] or [whines], an added bonus would be that you act those out in your reading, if possible, to make it all more interesting.

4) You prepare and upload a separate file for each Act that your character is in. (Note - the section numbers change as I move stuff around on the MW, so remember character name, not section numbers.) Your file will be proof-listened, and you may receive some notes on corrections and their time locations in your file. These will be posted in the forum and show in the Magic Window marked as "See PL Notes" - please cut corrections into your file to update it and upload a new file (SAME NAME) in a reasonable time - like before your voice and equipment setup change and everything sounds different!

5) and most importantly: please leave enough space between each of your speeches, preferably 4-5 seconds or more. Even when you have the stage directions in the middle of your speech (for example: [kisses her hand]), also leave 4-5 seconds of pause there, because our editor (me) later on has to copy all your parts and paste them into his (my) master file and it's helpful if he (me) has enough space to fiddle with

For Stage Directions:
For the stage directions, you need to read everything that is not read by the actors. So each time you see "closes door" or "drinks wine" or "exit left", you would need to read. Often it's written in italics or between brackets, but not always, so finding all the directions can be tricky business.

There is a special rule that concerns reading the characters' names. It's quite easy to remember:

1) if the stage direction appears at the beginning of the speech, you include the character's name.
Example:
John (sitting down on the couch): "I feel a headache coming on."
you would read everything I underlined now, including the name.

2) if the stage direction is in the middle or at the end of the speech, you do not repeat the name, because it's already clear who is speaking.
Example:
John: "I feel a headache coming on." (sits down on the couch) "I think I need a rest." (dozes off)
both times, no name included, only the underlined parts would be read.

Please leave at least 4-5 seconds between each chunk. So each time the narration is interrupted by a character speech, you leave ample space. It makes copy/pasting easier for our editor (me).

Also - record a voice credit for yourself: "Stage directions, read by XXXX"

Hope these help. Feel free to message me with questions.
For now, I'll just have you PL the stage directions, but I'll need help with other things later.

Thanks,
Wendy
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I edited the above to add the underlining. When you copy text in the forum, it does not copy the special HTML used for underlining, etc. Definitely not WYSIWYG. You can pretend to edit the post, or quote it, and then the special HTML will show.

Thanks, Todd
WendyKatzHiller

ToddHW wrote: April 29th, 2021, 4:21 pm I edited the above to add the underlining. When you copy text in the forum, it does not copy the special HTML used for underlining, etc. Definitely not WYSIWYG. You can pretend to edit the post, or quote it, and then the special HTML will show.

Thanks, Todd
Thank you so much for all your help!
Wendy Luddite