[OPEN] Cyrano de Bergerac by Edmond Rostand, trans. by Brian Hooker-mtf

Plays and other dramatic works
skyewardeye

Post by skyewardeye »

Could I get dibs on Lignière, Act 1?

Also, I saw you mention that accents aren't necessary, but I REALLY feel like (after reading his lines) his character would best be conveyed in a French accent. Mind if I give that a shot?
MManolakes

Post by MManolakes »

Ligniere is yours, thank you!

By all means, give the French accent a try if you think you can pull it off, especially since Ligniere is meant to be a somewhat comic character. But generally, I'd rather hear a good reading without an accent than hear an accent done badly.

Mike
Trutter00

Post by Trutter00 »

MManolakes wrote: July 2nd, 2021, 10:14 am
ADKreader1122 wrote: July 2nd, 2021, 7:10 am Hello Trish,
Well done--you did a great job with the stage directions for Act 1! I've marked it PL Okay with the following two notes: at 42:05 please add "Cyrano" before "(Finishes his macaroon.)" and the volume is still too low at 85 dB. I'm not sure what more I can advise about that except to amplify the file.

Thanks,
Lora
Lora and Trish,
I can fix both of these issues in the editing, so we can keep it as PL OK without any more work on Trish's part. (I'll borrow a "Cyrano" from somewhere else in the act and reuse it, and I can amplify the file to the correct level.) Thank you to both of you for your hard work on getting these stage directions right.

Mike
Oh God! Thank you Mike!
Trutter00

Post by Trutter00 »

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/cyranodebergerac_stagedirection_2_rostand_128kb.mp3

Ok, It clocks at 30:56. I ran it through checker and the volume is a bit low(it passed with warnings). When I try to increase the volume Garageband freezes because my computer is old. I know you've done a lot with my bad tech skills and old equipment and you have my gratitude. I'm working on this issue but any help in the editing would, again, be hugely appreciated.
MManolakes

Post by MManolakes »

Trutter00 wrote: July 4th, 2021, 2:33 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/cyranodebergerac_stagedirection_2_rostand_128kb.mp3

Ok, It clocks at 30:56. I ran it through checker and the volume is a bit low(it passed with warnings). When I try to increase the volume Garageband freezes because my computer is old. I know you've done a lot with my bad tech skills and old equipment and you have my gratitude. I'm working on this issue but any help in the editing would, again, be hugely appreciated.
Thanks, Trish. I can adjust the volume on my end, so probably for this and other files yet to come, we'll have to do just that. I was able to fix the volume on Act 1 without any problem. When Lora proof-listens your files, she'll just need to OK everything except for the volume, and let me fix that in the editing.

I'm enjoying listening to your stage directions very much. Describing the action for a five-act play can be a daunting task, and I think you've done a superb job with the stage directions.

Mike
Trutter00

Post by Trutter00 »

MManolakes wrote: July 4th, 2021, 3:49 pm
Trutter00 wrote: July 4th, 2021, 2:33 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/cyranodebergerac_stagedirection_2_rostand_128kb.mp3

Thanks, Trish. I can adjust the volume on my end, so probably for this and other files yet to come, we'll have to do just that. I was able to fix the volume on Act 1 without any problem. When Lora proof-listens your files, she'll just need to OK everything except for the volume, and let me fix that in the editing.

I'm enjoying listening to your stage directions very much. Describing the action for a five-act play can be a daunting task, and I think you've done a superb job with the stage directions.

Mike
Thank you so much for the encouragement, for all of the tech frustration, the reading is fun. Let me know if you spot any other interesting projects. I have a surprise for my next upload, it passed!
Trutter00

Post by Trutter00 »

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/cyranodebergerac_stagedirection_3.mp3

Act 3 clocks at 41:15 and as an added bonus, it passed!
ADKreader1122

Post by ADKreader1122 »

Hi Zanna,
The most recent file comes in at 82.3 dB--still too low. Could you please try again to amplify? Thanks, Lora
ADKreader1122

Post by ADKreader1122 »

Trish and Mike,
I've marked the Dramatis Personae as PL Okay since there is just the volume issue remaining. L.
ADKreader1122

Post by ADKreader1122 »

Hello Trish,
PL Okay for Act 2, Stage Directions--excellent job!

Thanks so much,
Lora
ADKreader1122

Post by ADKreader1122 »

Trish,
PL Okay for Act 3 stage directions as well.

Thank you,
Lora
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Here is Act 1 for Ragueneau. I included all the Crowd and All lines too.

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/cyranodebergerac_ragueneau_1.mp3

Thanks, Todd
Zanna

Post by Zanna »

I sure will! sorry for the inconvenience! :wink:
MManolakes

Post by MManolakes »

Trutter00 wrote: July 4th, 2021, 10:20 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/cyranodebergerac_stagedirection_3.mp3

Act 3 clocks at 41:15 and as an added bonus, it passed!
Trish, one additional note on something that I just noticed. Make sure that you begin each act exactly as directed in the first post in this thread:

For narration/stage directions:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.
Say:
"Act # of Cyrano de Bergerac, by Edmond Rostand, translated by Brian Hooker. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org."
At the end of each file say:
"End of Act #."
For the final act, add:
"End of Cyrano de Bergerac, by Edmond Rostand, translated by Brian Hooker."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

You've been varying what you've been saying for the first three acts, but it does need to be consistent, not just internally for this play but to match the other works on LibriVox.

I won't ask you to resubmit the acts that have already been marked PL OK, but could you perhaps submit a new file with just the openings and closings of the acts you've already done. I can edit that into the final versions. Thanks.

Mike
Zanna

Post by Zanna »