[OPEN] Cyrano de Bergerac by Edmond Rostand, trans. by Brian Hooker-mtf

Plays and other dramatic works
MManolakes

Post by MManolakes »

pschempf wrote: April 11th, 2021, 4:21 pm May I have Carbon?
Yes, thank you.

Mike
WendyKatzHiller

Post by WendyKatzHiller »

How 'bout Mother Marguerite de Jesus?

Thanks,
Wendy
MManolakes

Post by MManolakes »

WendyKatzHiller wrote: April 11th, 2021, 5:29 pm How 'bout Mother Marguerite de Jesus?

Thanks,
Wendy
All yours.

Mike
MManolakes

Post by MManolakes »

NOTE TO READERS AND PROSPECTIVE READERS: As you can see, this is a play with a very large number of speaking parts. Please feel free to volunteer for multiple roles if the different characters do not appear in the same act. Also, all parts are gender neutral.

In addition to the roles that are listed in the MW, there are many lines that are assigned in the script to "All", "Voices", "Others", "Cries of Joy", etc. Please do read those lines if you think it applies to your character, especially if you are reading an unnamed, generic character. If you are in doubt whether to record a particular line, record it anyway. I will decide whether or not to use it. I would rather have too many lines to choose from than too few. If there are particular lines that I'd like you to include for a specific character, I'll try to let you know when you sign up for it.

Thank you all who have already claimed parts or are considering doing so. As I stated in an earlier comment, this has been a favorite play of mine for many years, and I'm looking forward to the challenge of putting such a mammoth and marvelous work together. It will take the talents of many, many people to pull this off, but I can't wait to hear the final result. Thank you again.

Mike
JGVoices

Post by JGVoices »

I will record the Porter Act 1 if that is ok with you. Thanks!
JoannaHoyt

Post by JoannaHoyt »

May I be Sr. Marthe in Act 5? And also the Second Poet in Act 2?
Also, I notice there are two parts listed for Sr. Marthe in Act 5 and I don't see a listing for Sr. Claire, with whom she is arguing in Act 5.

Joanna
Back from a low-internet no-Librivox year in Georgia. Glad to be with you again.
MManolakes

Post by MManolakes »

JGVoices wrote: April 12th, 2021, 4:37 pm I will record the Porter Act 1 if that is ok with you. Thanks!
Thank you!

Mike
MManolakes

Post by MManolakes »

JoannaHoyt wrote: April 12th, 2021, 5:00 pm May I be Sr. Marthe in Act 5? And also the Second Poet in Act 2?
Also, I notice there are two parts listed for Sr. Marthe in Act 5 and I don't see a listing for Sr. Claire, with whom she is arguing in Act 5.

Joanna
Thank you! The double listing is my mistake; I’ll fix it.

Mike
JGVoices

Post by JGVoices »

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/cyranodebergerac_theporter_1_mp3.mp3

The Porter Act 1 is ready for proof listening. File time is (00:46). Thanks!
MManolakes

Post by MManolakes »

JGVoices wrote: April 12th, 2021, 6:34 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/cyranodebergerac_theporter_1_mp3.mp3

I see you haven't recorded for LibriVox before. Before you read for any projects, can you first submit the "1-Minute Test" to make sure technical settings are correct, etc. The directions are here http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/1-Minute_Test. Then I'll be happy to have you be part of the project!

Mike
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

MManolakes wrote: April 12th, 2021, 8:54 pm
JGVoices wrote: April 12th, 2021, 6:34 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/cyranodebergerac_theporter_1_mp3.mp3

I see you haven't recorded for LibriVox before. Before you read for any projects, can you first submit the "1-Minute Test" to make sure technical settings are correct, etc. The directions are here http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/1-Minute_Test. Then I'll be happy to have you be part of the project!

Mike
I can confirm that the settings are all ok on this file, so we can let this count as the test. :)

JG, overall your volume is very good. But there are a few places where the audio is clipped. This means that in these spots it is too loud, which can cause distortion in the sound. I don't personally think the clipping is bad enough here to worry about it, but you'll want to watch that in the future. :)
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Also, if the MW is finished, as it looks to be, I can move us to Readers Wanted.
MManolakes

Post by MManolakes »

mightyfelix wrote: April 12th, 2021, 9:04 pm Also, if the MW is finished, as it looks to be, I can move us to Readers Wanted.
The MW is finished. As I was filling it in, I consolidated some parts and decided some from my original count didn't need inclusion, so there are some leftover blank lines at the bottom. I'd leave those for now, as I may discover I have a use for them later.

So, yes, move it to Readers Wanted, with a tilde because I still need a DPL.

Mike
MManolakes

Post by MManolakes »

Since this is your first recording, how do you want your name to appear in the LibriVox catalog?

Mike
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

OK, I've moved us over, and we have a tilde. Although I want to be sure you know that you can add or remove the tilde yourself, just as you can tweak anything in the first post, by editing that post. You can also add sections to the MW as needed, although you can't delete them. :thumbs: