[OPEN] Cyrano de Bergerac by Edmond Rostand, trans. by Brian Hooker-mtf

Plays and other dramatic works
MManolakes

Post by MManolakes »

Cyrano de Bergerac, by Edmond Rostand (1868 - 1918), translated by Brian Hooker (1880 - 1946)
"Cyrano de Bergerac", by Edmond Rostand, is the fictionalized story of the 17th century French swordsman, poet, and author. Rostand's hero is a larger-than-life figure of incredible ability, wit, and courage, but because he has an improbably large nose, he believes that no woman would ever love him. Instead of courting the woman he loves, he lends his words and voice to a handsome but tongue-tied soldier who wins her instead. Brian Hooker's English translation, in which Rostand's rhyming couplets are presented as blank verse, is the most well-known translation of the play, and it became the basis for the 1950 film version that won Jose Ferrer the Academy Award. (Summary by Mike Manolakes)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/102695706 or http://storage.lib.uchicago.edu/pres/2007/pres2007-0439.pdf

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming roles: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available roles. Post a reply in this thread asking for the role you would like to record.
Please note: All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

Genres for the project: Plays/Comedy; Plays/Romance

Keywords that describe the book: comedy, romance, France, sword-fighting

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

For individual roles:
Submit one file per act. At the beginning of the first file, say:
"Character, read by your name."
Leave 3-5 seconds of space between your lines (room noise, not generated silence).

For narration/stage directions:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Act # of Cyrano de Bergerac, by Edmond Rostand, translated by Brian Hooker. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org."
At the end of each file say:
"End of Act #."
For the final act, add:
"End of Cyrano de Bergerac, by Edmond Rostand, translated by Brian Hooker."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename:
For individual roles: cyranodebergerac_role_#.mp3 where # is the act number. (e.g. cyranodebergerac_romeo_1.mp3)
For final files: cyranodebergerac_#_rostand_128kb.mp3 where # is the act number. (e.g. cyranodebergerac_1_rostand_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: mightyfelix

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Last edited by MManolakes on May 9th, 2021, 2:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

If this is a play that you're going to stitch together the parts, you'll need to use the Dramatic Works template. (Instead of Collaborative, choose Dramatic Work.)

Unfortunately, you will have to fill in everything in the template over again. We don't have a way to convert the template between the types of projects.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
MManolakes

Post by MManolakes »

Oops, will take care of that right away. Didn’t notice it was the wrong form.
MManolakes

Post by MManolakes »

The correct form is on top now.
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

If it is not too early to claim roles may I play Le Comte De Guiche?
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
MManolakes

Post by MManolakes »

alanmapstone wrote: April 10th, 2021, 5:31 pm If it is not too early to claim roles may I play Le Comte De Guiche?
I don't have an MW or even an MC yet, but sure, I'd love to have you play de Guiche. First of what seems to be a cast of thousands.

Before anyone else jumps in, the role of Cyrano has also been claimed.

Mike
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Looks fun! I enjoyed the film very much. I'll set this up for you.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Ok, your MW is ready for you to begin filling in.

I see there is a preface in this edition. Do you wish to include that? If so, I can add a section 0 to the MW so the preface can go there. And/or, you may wish to add the Dramatis Personae (which looks like it will be lengthy) into section 0, so that Act 1 can start right in with the action. Let me know!
MManolakes

Post by MManolakes »

Let's make Section 0 the Dramatis Personae. Obviously we will need many, many voices to make this happen. Thanks for agreeing to MC this project. I plan to do the editing myself, but I will need a DPL.

Cyrano has been my favorite of all plays for many years. Unfortunately it's too big for a community theatre to attempt to stage, so I've never had the opportunity to act in it or direct it. This will be the next best thing, so obviously it's a labor of love for me. Looking forward to hearing what the LV readers do with this.

Mike
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Great! I added your section 0 and named it Dramatis Personae. Feel free, of course, to change it if needed. I'll certainly pick up a role in this, even if it's only the Orange Girl. :wink:
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

Hi Mike!

May I claim Roxane?
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
MManolakes

Post by MManolakes »

jennlea wrote: April 11th, 2021, 2:38 pm Hi Mike!

May I claim Roxane?
Of course, thank you!

Mike
WendyKatzHiller

Post by WendyKatzHiller »

Could I please claim La Duenna?

I could also do one of the Sisters in Act V with a different voice, if you don't mind that type of doubling.

Thanks,
Wendy
pschempf

Post by pschempf »

May I have Carbon?
Fritz

"A small daily task, if it be really daily, will beat the labors of a spasmodic Hercules."

Trollope
MManolakes

Post by MManolakes »

WendyKatzHiller wrote: April 11th, 2021, 3:46 pm Could I please claim La Duenna?

I could also do one of the Sisters in Act V with a different voice, if you don't mind that type of doubling.

Thanks,
Wendy
The Duenna is yours. I expect we'll need to do a lot of doubling to pull this off, so which Sister would you like?

Mike