COMPLETE[PLAY]It Pays To Advertise by Megrue & Hackett - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
wib66

Post by wib66 »

Hi not sure if anyone has realised but there is a page missing on the google docs. It is page 89 of the book and is page 96 of the google docs. I was able to find it on Hathi. Here is the page in case anyone needs to record any missed lines.

IT PAYS TO ADVERTISE 89

MARTIN . That's something in his favor : can't see much use in women tying up in men's business .

JOHNSON . ( Entering ) Mr. Rodney Martin and Ambrose Peale .

MARTIN . Oh , the whole firm ! Send ' em in , Johnson .

Johnson . Very good , sir . ( He exits )

( RODNEY and PEALE enter . )

RODNEY . Hello , father . ( Crosses to table ) PEALE . How doyou do , sir ? ( Coming down L. )

( MARTIN grunts to them both . )

RODNEY . ( Seeing MARY ) Mary , what on earth are you doing here ?

MARY . I came to tell your father about Marshall Field's order .

RODNEY . That's why we're here , too .
PEALE . Absolutely .

MARTIN . Let me tell you right now , I won't back any fake company .

RODNEY . But we're not a fake any longer .
PEALE . We've actually sold some soap .
Mary . Fifty thousand cakes .
RODNEY . To Marshall Field .

MARTIN . Then why did you send ' em only five thousand cakes ?

RODNEY . Because after we'd got that much from one of your branch factories you shut off our supply .

PEALE . And we couldn't get any more soap any where .

MARY . ( Accusingly ) And you knew it very well . ( Crossingto R. side of Mr. Martin )

RODNEY . We've still got 45,000 cakes to deliver , if we can get ' em from you . Why let all that money get out of the family ? It's a business proposition .

Hope that's okay
Michele
When you're having what you feel like is a 'bad day' and then someone comes along out of nowhere and extends to you the simplest of kind gestures, you feel it so deeply within your heart.” ―Miya Yamanouchi
wib66

Post by wib66 »

All stage directions recorded just need editing
Michele
When you're having what you feel like is a 'bad day' and then someone comes along out of nowhere and extends to you the simplest of kind gestures, you feel it so deeply within your heart.” ―Miya Yamanouchi
wib66

Post by wib66 »

Michele
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

wib66 wrote: August 18th, 2021, 9:17 amHi not sure if anyone has realised but there is a page missing on the google docs. It is page 89 of the book and is page 96 of the google docs.
:hmm: bizarre, in the google doc link (1st post) I downloaded to check, this page 89/96 is well present. So I would have noticed if any of the readers had missed their lines on that page. So far those that are in were all complete. What link did you read from ?

I now PLed your stage directions, wow it was a big job :thumbs: excellently narrated, you made my job very easy, so thank you for that Michele.

I found a few small errors/missed lines though. But considering how long they were, this was really great.

Here are the PL notes:

Act 1:
> at about 1:20: could you also insert the settings of the acts on page 4: "Act I. The library at Cyrus Martin's. Act II. Rodney Martin's office. Act III. Same as act I". Maybe even the author's note, as it's interesting: "Author's note: the advertising statistics used in the play are facts, not farce."

Act 2:
> at 4:04: (p. 54) "with MSS case" - this would mean "manuscripts' case" in this context
> at 16:05: (p. 73) repeat: "Rodney gets very busy" - you can cut out "Rodney" once here

Act 3:
> at about 3:30: (p. 94) missed line: "coming left of center"
> at about 12:26: (p. 110) missed line: "Mary, in phone"

thanks, this gives us a good push towards the finishing line :9: let's hope for our Rodney to come in soon.

Sonia
wib66

Post by wib66 »

Kitty wrote: August 25th, 2021, 7:51 am
wib66 wrote: August 18th, 2021, 9:17 amHi not sure if anyone has realised but there is a page missing on the google docs. It is page 89 of the book and is page 96 of the google docs.
:hmm: bizarre, in the google doc link (1st post) I downloaded to check, this page 89/96 is well present. So I would have noticed if any of the readers had missed their lines on that page. So far those that are in were all complete. What link did you read from ?

I now PLed your stage directions, wow it was a big job :thumbs: excellently narrated, you made my job very easy, so thank you for that Michele.

I found a few small errors/missed lines though. But considering how long they were, this was really great.

Here are the PL notes:

Act 1:
> at about 1:20: could you also insert the settings of the acts on page 4: "Act I. The library at Cyrus Martin's. Act II. Rodney Martin's office. Act III. Same as act I". Maybe even the author's note, as it's interesting: "Author's note: the advertising statistics used in the play are facts, not farce."

Act 2:
> at 4:04: (p. 54) "with MSS case" - this would mean "manuscripts' case" in this context
> at 16:05: (p. 73) repeat: "Rodney gets very busy" - you can cut out "Rodney" once here

Act 3:
> at about 3:30: (p. 94) missed line: "coming left of center"
> at about 12:26: (p. 110) missed line: "Mary, in phone"

thanks, this gives us a good push towards the finishing line :9: let's hope for our Rodney to come in soon.

Sonia
Hi Sonia
Not really sure what happened with that missing page as it is now there must have been a blip on my computer. (it has been playing up a bit lately)

I have done the edits to the narrator files.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/itpaystoadvertise_01_stagedirections_megrue_128kb.mp3

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/itpaystoadvertise_02_stagedirections_megrue_128kb.mp3

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/itpaystoadvertise_03_stagedirections_megrue_128kb.mp3
Michele
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

wib66 wrote: August 25th, 2021, 8:19 amNot really sure what happened with that missing page as it is now there must have been a blip on my computer. (it has been playing up a bit lately)
hm strange nevertheless that only one page was missing :hmm: ah well, the important thing is, it's there now :mrgreen:
I have done the edits to the narrator files.
thanks, great edits and now perfectly PL ok :)

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Orphaned Rodney since over 4 months since claim.

Thanks, Todd
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

May I claim Rodney,?

Thanks!

Greg
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

ToddHW wrote: September 5th, 2021, 9:21 am Thank you.

Todd
Thank you. Since I am late to this play I will move this up to the top of my reading list so you can wrap this project.

Take care,

Greg
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Sonia: I will PL these as I cut them into the master files. Rest up for listening when fully assembled and groomed.

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

GregGiordano wrote: September 12th, 2021, 7:09 pmHere are all three acts for Rodney Martin:
sorry for the feedback delay, Greg. And wow, you had a mighty big role in this one :shock: But you played the good-for-nothing rich son perfectly. :thumbs: Right in the first act you play him so carefree and shallow, only out to enjoy life (and his Mary). Then in the second act, especially in the scene with Ellery your voice takes quite a sharkish tone, now that was a good twist in his character. Oh and your French isn't bad either for the purpose. I am looking forward to hearing our dialogue together :lol:

Acts 1 and 3 are right away PL ok.

A few missed sentences in Act 2 however:

> at about 31:35: (p. 85 and 86): please insert 3 missed lines: "What's happened ?", "Why ?" and "What'll we do ?"

Brilliant job, I really enjoyed it, thank you for giving us this quick turn-around now near the end. :9:

Sonia
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

Kitty wrote: September 16th, 2021, 4:21 am
GregGiordano wrote: September 12th, 2021, 7:09 pmHere are all three acts for Rodney Martin:
sorry for the feedback delay, Greg. And wow, you had a mighty big role in this one :shock: But you played the good-for-nothing rich son perfectly. :thumbs: Right in the first act you play him so carefree and shallow, only out to enjoy life (and his Mary). Then in the second act, especially in the scene with Ellery your voice takes quite a sharkish tone, now that was a good twist in his character. Oh and your French isn't bad either for the purpose. I am looking forward to hearing our dialogue together :lol:

Acts 1 and 3 are right away PL ok.

A few missed sentences in Act 2 however:

> at about 31:35: (p. 85 and 86): please insert 3 missed lines: "What's happened ?", "Why ?" and "What'll we do ?"

Brilliant job, I really enjoyed it, thank you for giving us this quick turn-around now near the end. :9:

Sonia
Thank you, Sonia. Your comments are encouraging as they always are.

As you know from previous recordings you have proofed, I don't speak French at all! It did work out wonderfully in this case since Rodney did not rather. It was not hard to muddle through his attempts to pronounce, or rather mispronounce, the French exchanges with the Countess.

I am surprised that I overlooked three lines in Act 2.. Because of the shear size of the role I truly thought I went through the script it with a fine-toothed comb. I will do my best to correct Act 2 tonight so you can move this project to final edit.

Thanks again for the encouragement!

Greg