COMPLETE[PLAY]It Pays To Advertise by Megrue & Hackett - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

“It Pays To Advertise”, by Roi Cooper Megrue (1882–1927) & Walter Hackett (1876–1944))
An early screwball comedy, the plot revolves around a Soap Manufacturing Mogul's attempt to get his idle-rich son to make something of himself. This involves a Countess who speaks only French (or does she?); the son's sweetheart (or is she?); a hard-sell theatrical press-agent (well, he definitely is!); and a new soap company set up by the son in competition with his father.

“No. 13 Soap ... It's Unlucky for Dirt.”

(Summary by Son of the Exiles)
This project is complete. Audio files can be found on the catalog page at: https://librivox.org/it-pays-to-advertise-by-roi-cooper-megrue/

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/6d/It-pays-to-advertise-1923.jpg

Source text (please read only from this text!): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1o7ce0wLPMALF7f5j6e0ScNEFWf90c6vm/view

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming roles: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available roles. Post a reply in this thread asking for the role you would like to record.
Please note: All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

Genres for the project: Plays/Comedy

Keywords that describe the book: comedy, play, farce, screwball

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

For individual roles:
Submit one file per act. At the beginning of the first file, say:
"Character, read by your name."
Leave 3-5 seconds of space between your lines (room noise, not generated silence).

For narration/stage directions:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Act # of “It Pays To Advertise”, by Roi Cooper Megrue and Walter Hackett. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org."
At the end of each file say:
"End of Act #."
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of “It Pays To Advertise”, by Roi Cooper Megrue and Walter Hackett."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename:
For individual roles: itpaystoadvertise_role_#.mp3 where # is the act number. (e.g. itpaystoadvertise_romeo_1.mp3)
For final files: itpaystoadvertise_#_megrue_128kb.mp3 where # is the act number. (e.g. itpaystoadvertise_1_megrue_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: toddhw

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Last edited by SonOfTheExiles on April 11th, 2021, 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Hi everyone, another new play. I will be taking on the role of the theatrical press-agent Ambrose Peale, so you can expect the improper use of transitive verbs, eg. "Love ya, beautiful people, let's do lunch!".

The role of the tri-lingual Comtesse requires the ability to speak fluent French and German as well as English.

That of the maid Marie requires fluent French as well as English.

Cheers,
Chris
Last edited by SonOfTheExiles on June 13th, 2021, 7:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

I'm claiming the Comtesse please :)

Sonia
catharmaiden

Post by catharmaiden »

and the French speaking maid for me please

Sandra
AngeliqueAnja

Post by AngeliqueAnja »

And can I play Mary?

Annie
DR: The Mystery of a Hansom Cab (Readers Wanted)
SOLO The Fairy Latchkey

I am without internet at the moment. Not sure for how long.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I'll set this up and MC.

EDIT: set up and ready

Thanks, Todd
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

This one sounds fun! I may pick up a role if any are left once I've had a chance to look over the script a little.

But I'm confused about this text source. It looks like it came from Hathi, so why are we reading it from Google drive? :hmm: The source link should be a permanent one, since it will be on the catalogue page.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

mightyfelix wrote: April 10th, 2021, 6:42 am This one sounds fun! I may pick up a role if any are left once I've had a chance to look over the script a little.

But I'm confused about this text source. It looks like it came from Hathi, so why are we reading it from Google drive? :hmm: The source link should be a permanent one, since it will be on the catalogue page.
I made the official text link Hathi in the MW database, but since Hathi is a nuisance for some people I left the googledoc PDF as the reader link in the first post. The PDF gives people access to the entire file instead of the page by page limitation of Hathi.

Thanks, Todd
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Thanks for clarifying. That makes sense. I'll see if anything here strikes my fancy. :)
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Hi Chris
Can I read Johnson the butler in acts 1 and 3?
And perhaps one of the characters who are only in act 2, Ellery or McChesney?
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Sonia signed up as the Comtesse,
Sandra as the French Maid,
Annie as Mary Grayson,
and Alan as Johnson the Butler in Acts 1&3 and Donald McChesney (Advertising Man) in Act 2.

Many thanks everyone!

Chris
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Ah, how can I resist a good screwball? Would you allow me the opportunity to play Rodney? :)
Tomas Peter
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

You're on, Tomas, signing you up!

Cheers,
Chris
TallyTiger

Post by TallyTiger »

hello

can I please claim Miss Burke

Tally Tiger