COMPLETE [Play] A Family Man by John Galsworthy-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
wib66

Post by wib66 »

A Family Man, by John Galsworthy (1867 - 1933)

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/a-family-man-by-john-galsworthy/
John Builder is a solid, middle-class Englishman. He is very domineering but finds that the women around him are insistent on living their own lives. They will not let him take control. His world begins to fall apart around him. (Summary by Michele Eaton )
Source text (please read only from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/4764

Please only read from the Google Docs linked in the MW in the first three sections as they contain the correct character assignments. I have not altered the text in any way from the original just made sure that all the lines are attributed to the right character.

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming roles: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available roles. Post a reply in this thread asking for the role you would like to record.
Please note: All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

For individual roles:
Submit one file per act. At the beginning of the first file, say:
"Character, read by your name."
Leave 3-5 seconds of space between your lines (room noise, not generated silence).

For narration/stage directions:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Act # of A Family Man, by John Galsworthy. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org."
At the end of each file say:
"End of Act #."
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of A Family Man, by John Galsworthy."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename:
For individual roles: familyman_role_#.mp3 where # is the act number. (e.g. familyman_romeo_1.mp3)
For final files: familyman_#_galsworthy_128kb.mp3 where # is the act number. (e.g. familyman_1_galsworthy_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: maryannspiegel

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Last edited by wib66 on October 18th, 2021, 10:51 am, edited 5 times in total.
Michele
When you're having what you feel like is a 'bad day' and then someone comes along out of nowhere and extends to you the simplest of kind gestures, you feel it so deeply within your heart.” ―Miya Yamanouchi
wib66

Post by wib66 »

I will be editor and DPL on this project.
Michele
When you're having what you feel like is a 'bad day' and then someone comes along out of nowhere and extends to you the simplest of kind gestures, you feel it so deeply within your heart.” ―Miya Yamanouchi
WendyKatzHiller

Post by WendyKatzHiller »

If it's not too early, I'd love to claim Mrs. Builder (Julia)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

You appear to have used the regular book template rather than the play one. :?:
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
wib66

Post by wib66 »

TriciaG wrote: February 25th, 2021, 1:10 pm You appear to have used the regular book template rather than the play one. :?:
Thank you I have now changed it
Michele
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Hi Michelle
When you open for claims I would like to read Topping :D
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
wib66

Post by wib66 »

WendyKatzHiller wrote: February 25th, 2021, 1:03 pm If it's not too early, I'd love to claim Mrs. Builder (Julia)
Thanks I will sign you up when I have the MW up :D
Michele
wib66

Post by wib66 »

alanmapstone wrote: February 25th, 2021, 2:16 pm Hi Michelle
When you open for claims I would like to read Topping :D
Hi thanks I will sign you up once the MW is up :D
Michele
MichaelMaggs

Post by MichaelMaggs »

If you're accepting readers already, I'll volunteer to narrate.

Everyone's going to need to read the stage directions carefully, as there are a lot of actors lines that have been wrongly typeset within them. :(
wib66

Post by wib66 »

MichaelMaggs wrote: February 25th, 2021, 3:15 pm If you're accepting readers already, I'll volunteer to narrate.

Everyone's going to need to read the stage directions carefully, as there are a lot of actors lines that have been wrongly typeset within them. :(
Hi Michael I will sign you up when I have the MW. Yes I noticed myself that there were a lot of errors. Wondered whether it might be worth converting them to Google docs so I can correct the errors.
Michele
MichaelMaggs

Post by MichaelMaggs »

wib66 wrote: February 25th, 2021, 3:32 pm Hi Michael I will sign you up when I have the MW. Yes I noticed myself that there were a lot of errors. Wondered whether it might be worth converting them to Google docs so I can correct the errors.
That might be useful. Either that or more effort from the DPL :)
Last edited by MichaelMaggs on February 26th, 2021, 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
wib66

Post by wib66 »

MichaelMaggs wrote: February 26th, 2021, 1:58 am
wib66 wrote: February 25th, 2021, 3:32 pm Hi Michael I will sign you up when I have the MW. Yes I noticed myself that there were a lot of errors. Wondered whether it might be worth converting them to Google docs so I can correct the errors.
That might be useful. Either that or more effort form the DPL :)
I have converted them to Google Docs so that will make it easier as I can just put the links in the MW. Certainly don't want to make an increase in the effort ha ha :mrgreen:
Michele
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Michele,
I can MC this for you. I'll get your MW set up.
MaryAnn
wib66

Post by wib66 »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote: February 26th, 2021, 9:02 pm Michele,
I can MC this for you. I'll get your MW set up.
MaryAnn
Thank you
Michele
wib66

Post by wib66 »

MW is up and claims have been completed.
Michele