(COMPLETE) [DR] The Mystery of a Hansom Cab by Fergus Hume - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
AngeliqueAnja

Post by AngeliqueAnja »

The Mystery of a Hansom Cab, by Fergus Hume (1859 - 1932)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-mystery-of-a-hansom-cab-version-2-by-fergus-hume/
The Mystery of a Hansom Cab takes place in Melbourne, Australia, and involves an investigation into a homicide, after a corpse is discovered in the early hours, in a hansom cab. The killer's identity is not as significant a revelation in the story as are the roles of the influential and secretive Frettlby family, and their secret. The class divide between Melbourne's wealthy and less fortunate is addressed throughout the plot. (Summary by Wiki)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/4223
Script Text in MW

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.
Roles with extended deadlines:
As long as there are regular updates and communication, these roles are not expected within the 2 month deadline (we all want to take part in multiple projects right?)
  • Brian Fitzgerald: 20 Parts
  • Duncan Calton: 18 Parts
  • Madge Frettlby: 18 Parts
  • Mark Frettlby: 12 Parts

Claiming roles: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available roles. Post a reply in this thread asking for the role you would like to record.
Please note: All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

For individual roles:
Submit one file per chapter. At the beginning of the first file, say:
"Character, read by your name."
Leave 3-5 seconds of space between your lines (room noise, not generated silence).

For narration/stage directions:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Chapter # of The Mystery of a Hansom Cab, by Fergus Hume. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org."
At the end of each file say:
"End of Chapter #."
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Mystery of a Hansom Cab, by Fergus Hume."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename:
For individual roles: mysteryofahansomcab_role_#.mp3 where # is the chapter number. (e.g. mysteryofahansomcab_romeo_01.mp3)
For final files: hansomcabdr_##_hume_128kb.mp3 where # is the chapter number. (e.g. hansomcabdr_01_hume_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: TriciaG

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Last edited by AngeliqueAnja on March 7th, 2021, 2:19 pm, edited 5 times in total.
DR: The Mystery of a Hansom Cab (Readers Wanted)
SOLO The Fairy Latchkey

I am without internet at the moment. Not sure for how long.
AngeliqueAnja

Post by AngeliqueAnja »

I know that this is probably ambitious, but I'm excited about it and can't wait to see how it comes together! I have the scripts ready to go.

I'll narrate and edit/combine the chapters.

I'll also PL. I will need someone to PL the Narrator and final product though!

Thanks,
Annie
SOLO The Fairy Latchkey

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Extremely ambitious. This project will be not only difficult, but very long and drawn out. Are you certain you can commit to this project for an extended period of time? DRs take much, much longer than other types of projects.

For some perspective, the DRs I've been personally involved in as either BC, co-BC, or editor have taken, on average, around 13 months to complete. And they only had, again on average, around 14 or 15 chapters. This book has 35 chapters, so it could easily take two to three years to see it all the way through to completion. Are you prepared to be here, and to be available for whatever readers might need from you, for that amount of time? DRs are messy and complicated, and if a BC disappears in the middle of one, admins are often left with a tangled ball of yarn to unravel. So we'd like to be very sure you realize the amount of commitment it takes.

I'd also personally like to know how you plan to organize your MW. There are two main schools of thought (which I did my best to describe in this video, starting at around 1:06:05. Oh, and it was apparently silly hat day, so ignore the silly hat! :lol: ). In either case, you're going to need a lot more than 36 sections for the MW. So if you feel like you really can commit to a lengthy commitment and you want to move forward, please give some more thought to how many sections you'll need and let us know. :)
AngeliqueAnja

Post by AngeliqueAnja »

You make a lot of good points, particularly about the time commitment and barring any major disasters (and who can really plan for those) I would very much like to still be here in 2 or 3 years, even longer. I also understand (having already made up a mock-up of the MW, that some of the roles are quite large and that for volunteers agreeing to them) the standard 2 month deadline would have to waived for about 4-6 of the roles.

I did some looking around at the other DR's before deciding to put this forward and for cleanliness quite liked the format where each character was one section:

ie:
Brian Fitzgerald: Ch7, Ch8, Ch9, Ch10, Ch11, Ch12, Ch16, Ch18, Ch21, Ch22, Ch23, Ch24, Ch25, Ch26, Ch28, Ch29, Ch31, Ch32, Ch34, Ch35

I went looking around the LV wiki and found the coding to be able to put links into the notes section of the MW and believe that I can make this work. I think given the number of characters and chapters, to allocate each of them their own section, the MW would just go on forever and perhaps become too unwieldy.

Including characters plus the final chapters, I believe the total amount of sections is then 76.

Several chapters have only 2 or 3 characters and a couple are narrator only.

But if the admins think that this project would be too ambitious, that's fine too.

Annie
SOLO The Fairy Latchkey

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

AngeliqueAnja wrote: February 24th, 2021, 4:56 am I did some looking around at the other DR's before deciding to put this forward and for cleanliness quite liked the format where each character was one section:
I know that looks oh-so-clean, but in fact is a rather silly idea. :)
You have now one single space to juggle 20 different recordings each one in different stages of completeness - it's a recipe for disaster. There is a reason why a number of years back our old hands in dramatic works have switched over to one chapter - one recording (section) per character. It's much easier to handle and so much easier to see what still needs to be done at any moment in time.

I see you're mostly active over in dramatic works, so that's possibly why you're so enchanted in running your own. But it's not a good idea to start BCing a huge dramatic project like this - maybe you don't even like BCing? Better to find that out in a "normal" group project where things are easier to handle and everything should run much faster.

If you're into Fergus Hume, I'm sure he has written many more books that we don't have in our catalog yet and that would be fun to coordinate as a group project. :D
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I'll set this up.

If you decide to add more sections, you can do so yourself after the MW is set up; it's just a bit of a pain adding more sections one by one. :)

Before cataloging time we'll need a summary/intro that isn't taken from Wikipedia, since that site isn't PD.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
AngeliqueAnja

Post by AngeliqueAnja »

No problem Tricia. I'll write up a new one along the way!

Thanks,
Annie
SOLO The Fairy Latchkey

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Looks like you're set up and ready for Readers Wanted. Moving us there...
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
AngeliqueAnja

Post by AngeliqueAnja »

Thanks Tricia!
SOLO The Fairy Latchkey

Salvationist

Post by Salvationist »

May I read the jury person?
Salvationist

Current focus: Acadia, The Watsons, and Pollyanna of the Orange Blossoms
AngeliqueAnja

Post by AngeliqueAnja »

Salvationist wrote: March 1st, 2021, 4:48 pm May I read the jury person?
Of course you can! Welcome to team!

Annie
SOLO The Fairy Latchkey

CassiopeiaSparks

Post by CassiopeiaSparks »

This looks fun, and I'm on board to join a long project, but I'm going to focus on the March completion challenge for this month, and then come back to check on this. :9:
"They wear a mask which seems like concentrated sunshine, and it comes from within."
(The Face of Liberty, H.W. Collingwood)
so mote it be
AngeliqueAnja

Post by AngeliqueAnja »

CassiopeiaSparks wrote: March 1st, 2021, 5:42 pm This looks fun, and I'm on board to join a long project, but I'm going to focus on the March completion challenge for this month, and then come back to check on this. :9:
We'll still be here!

Annie
SOLO The Fairy Latchkey

Salvationist

Post by Salvationist »

Here's the jury person:

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/mysteryofahansomcab_juryperson_19.mp3 17 seconds

This is my first time trying an Australian accent. I hope it's OK!
Salvationist

Salvationist

Post by Salvationist »

May I also read the legal clerk?
Salvationist