(COMPLETE) [DR] The Mystery of a Hansom Cab by Fergus Hume - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
cavaet

Post by cavaet »

Sara

Right all noise levels reduced on indicated files, and I have added the lines required for Chapter Twelve.

Meanwhile I am wondering how you want d---- it, to be spoken, It's pretty obvious that that is what the author had in mind, it was deliberately left like that for Victorian mores, not 21st century ones
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

cavaet wrote: May 8th, 2021, 9:50 pm Sara

Right all noise levels reduced on indicated files, and I have added the lines required for Chapter Twelve.
Thank you! I won't be able to download the files to check them. But I will do so this upcoming Saturday. I hope that's okay with you.
cavaet wrote: May 8th, 2021, 9:50 pmMeanwhile I am wondering how you want d---- it, to be spoken, It's pretty obvious that that is what the author had in mind, it was deliberately left like that for Victorian mores, not 21st century ones
Yes, it is obvious. But Tricia mentioned this for Roger Moreland's lines. That's why I've pointed it out.
TriciaG wrote: April 3rd, 2021, 6:31 am I prefer to read the censored words as censored.

D-- would be a swallowed D; G-- would be a swallowed G - like you're starting to say the words but stop yourself.

After all, that's what the author/publisher put in the book; that's what we should read, IMHO.
Thanks, SaraHale. :D
Constructive criticism is always welcome. :thumbs:
cavaet

Post by cavaet »

Hmmm. OK. It shall be done
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

hi Annie :)

can I take the short role of "shrill voice" Julia Featherweight ? :lol:

BTW in Chapter 8, the discussion about the piano practice in the beginning is spoken by Miss Dora Featherweight, Julia's sister. Julia only appears later in the chapter. You need to include another character in your MW.

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
AngeliqueAnja

Post by AngeliqueAnja »

Sorry about my absence guys! I will put all new people in the magic window ASAP!

Kitty, I will add that new character as well! Thank you!

Annie
DR: The Mystery of a Hansom Cab (Readers Wanted)
SOLO The Fairy Latchkey

I am without internet at the moment. Not sure for how long.
AngeliqueAnja

Post by AngeliqueAnja »

Tad and Kitty are now assigned!
SOLO The Fairy Latchkey

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

AngeliqueAnja wrote: May 12th, 2021, 6:05 pm Kitty, I will add that new character as well! Thank you!
you forgot to put my name in the MW ;) you only changed the status to "assigned"

I don't know the story but browsed a bit through it, and it seems that Felix Rolleston always is around Dora Featherweight and finally marries her in chapter 19 (Quote: "and proposed to Miss Featherweight, who, after some hesitation, agreed to endow him with herself and her thousands") From then on "his wife" and "Mrs Rolleston" is the same as "Dora".

Judging by context then, it's not Julia but Dora that Felix is sitting next to in Chapter 17, so I will not read this part. Also some quotes in Chapter 23 and 25 belong to Dora, because it says clearly "his wife". I try to only read the quotes that belong to Julia.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

so here is what I think all of Miss Julia Featherweight, I hope my shrill steam-whistle voice in Chapter 8 is good enough :lol: She does not appear in Chapter 17, and the other quotes should probably get colour-coded differently for Dora, otherwise it's a bit confusing for the one who will take that role. :?

I hope I didn't miss anything. It's hard to get into a role when I haven't actually read the book. I think that is the main reason why I prefer stage plays over dramatic readings. :mrgreen:

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/mysteryofahansomcab_julia_08.mp3
Recording time: 0:16 min.

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/mysteryofahansomcab_julia_23.mp3
Recording time: 0:36 min.

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/mysteryofahansomcab_julia_25.mp3
Recording time: 0:26 min.

Sonia
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

Kitty wrote: May 13th, 2021, 7:08 am so here is what I think all of Miss Julia Featherweight, I hope my shrill steam-whistle voice in Chapter 8 is good enough :lol: She does not appear in Chapter 17, and the other quotes should probably get colour-coded differently for Dora, otherwise it's a bit confusing for the one who will take that role. :?
Hey, Hey, Hey, Sonia.

I'm so happy you decided to participate. I think this is the first time PLing your sections. Well, I didn't know you could sing like that. I had to double-check your name. :mrgreen: Because I know you sing beautifully. So, kudos to you for getting into the role so quickly. :clap:
Kitty wrote: May 13th, 2021, 7:08 amI hope I didn't miss anything. It's hard to get into a role when I haven't actually read the book. I think that is the main reason why I prefer stage plays over dramatic readings. :mrgreen:
Sonia
Please forgive my notes, I'm a little confused with Dora's lines. As I can't find Dora in the MW. :help:

Chapter 8: Are those lines for Dora or Julia?

Page 1 - "It's nothing but practice,"

Page 2 - "I am at the piano four hours every day."

Chapter 17: Are those part of Julia's lines?

Page 4 - "Don't say such horrid things, you frivolous creature," and "We are all here out of sympathy for that poor dear Mr. Fitzgerald."

Chapter 23: How about those?
Page 7 - "Felix!" and "Nothing particular," and "except that I consider Offenbach low." and "Sing us the new song, Felix,"

Chapter 25: And those?
Page 1 - "Yes, it's something fearful in the shade,"

Page 2 - "Ah! it's easy seen you come from Ireland, Mr. Fitzgerald," and "You are making Madge jealous." and "Which means?"

If I got anything wrong, let me know. And I'll turn them PL OK.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

SaraHale wrote: May 15th, 2021, 11:34 amWell, I didn't know you could sing like that. I had to double-check your name. :mrgreen: Because I know you sing beautifully. So, kudos to you for getting into the role so quickly. :clap:
:mrgreen: :lol: well....the girl in the book seems to have not the best singing voice so I needed to reflect that shrilliness.
Please forgive my notes, I'm a little confused with Dora's lines. As I can't find Dora in the MW. :help:
yes exactly...that is what I mentioned before. I am not familiar with the entire book, but it seems to me that the older Miss Featherweight is Dora and she became the wife of Felix Rolleston, so later she is Mrs Rolleston. I think I caught all the Julia lines, the rest needs to be colour-coded for Dora. Basically all the lines that you put into your PL notes.

Maybe we best wait for Annie to check up on this, as she is more familiar with the book than me.

Sonia
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

May I claim the part of Mr. Gorby?

Thank you!

Greg
AngeliqueAnja

Post by AngeliqueAnja »

I am without internet in the house at the moment (on my phone) and I'm not sure how long it will be before we have it back.

Annie
SOLO The Fairy Latchkey

TadDavis

Post by TadDavis »

One note on pronunciation — there may be others, but this is a choice that I made on purpose, rather than by accident. In one of the scenes, Chinston describes the heart as being “flaccid.” I chose to say this as flak-sid, because that used to be the standard pronunciation, although I typically use the alternative “flassid” myself (since that pronunciation sounds more....er... flaccid). I’m perfectly willing to redo this if editorial preference is otherwise.
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »