COMPLETE[PLAY]Bacchides by Plautus - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Bacchides: or, The Twin Sisters, by Titus Maccius Plautus (254 BCE - 184 BCE), translated by Henry Thomas Riley (1816 - 1878)
Twin sisters, separated at birth to different lands. Later, Mnesilochus falls in love with one of them, only to see his friend Pistoclerus apparently with her. Great complications abound. Eventually all is explained and everyone joins together to carouse. (Parts of Act 1 are fragmentary, but it is easy to piece together what we all miss there so we can enjoy the rest.)
(Summary by ToddHW)
This project is complete. Audio files can be found on our catalog page at https://librivox.org/bacchides-or-the-twin-sisters-by-titus-maccius-plautus/

Here we go again. The last play by Plautus had one women pretending to be two twin sisters. This has two twin sisters being mistaken for one woman. Guess Plautus was trying to copyright all the possible comedic combinations.

Gender neutral, of course. Don't get worried by the appearance of fragments of Act 1 - there is enough to get us through to the rest of the play when all becomes clear - or at least the confusion becomes intentional.

Kitty will be one of the sisters, and will DPL your parts whenever she can get her Bacchisian sister to stop making mischief and spell her for a while.

Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/comediesofplautu01plauiala/page/144/mode/2up

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming roles: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available roles. Post a reply in this thread asking for the role you would like to record.
Please note: All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
  • Project Code: ksNuynDl
  • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plautus (Titus Maccius Plautus)
  • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
  • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 39
  • Does the project have an introduction or preface: No
  • Original publication date (if known): 222 bce
  • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
  • Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:

Genres for the project: Plays/Comedy

Keywords that describe the book: twins, mistaken identity

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

For individual roles:
Submit one file per act. At the beginning of the first file, say:
"Character, read by your name."
Leave 3-5 seconds of space between your lines (room noise, not generated silence).

For narration/stage directions:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Act # of Bacchides: or, The Twin Sisters, by Titus Maccius Plautus, translated by Henry Thomas Riley. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org."
At the end of each file say:
"End of Act #."
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Bacchides: or, The Twin Sisters, by Titus Maccius Plautus, translated by Henry Thomas Riley."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename:
For individual roles: bacchides_role_#.mp3 where # is the act number. (e.g. bacchides_romeo_1.mp3)
For final files: bacchides_#_plautus_128kb.mp3 where # is the act number. (e.g. bacchides_1_plautus_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: toddhw

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

leaving a cookie crumb for DPL and yes, I'll be one of the twins. Now I am looking forward to finding out who my twin sister will be 8-)

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Chris?

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: February 18th, 2021, 12:53 pmChris?
don't do this to me !

Sonia
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Philoxenus please.

Much as I would like to be Sonia's twin sister I don't think our voices would blend 😺
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

alanmapstone wrote: February 18th, 2021, 12:59 pmMuch as I would like to be Sonia's twin sister I don't think our voices would blend 😺
better than Chris with his raspy voice :lol: though indeed it might be a stretch that people would mistake the one for the other. Even though, it's not a visual performance, so we may even get away with it.

Now I'm awaiting further developments with trepidation....

Sonia
Tchaikovsky

Post by Tchaikovsky »

Hi Todd,
I will happily do the stage directions for this. Would I have to read the long introduction also?

Tchaikovsky
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

No, do not read the introductions - neither "The Subject" nor "The Acrostic Argument". Too many spoilers in them.

Thanks, Todd
adrianstephens

Post by adrianstephens »

May I take: Nicobulus, an aged citizen of Athens
that's just how I'm feeling...
My Librivox-related YouTube series starts here: Part 0: Introduction. https://youtu.be/pMHYycgA5VU
Part 15: Case Study (Poem) https://youtu.be/41sr_VC1Qxo
Part 16: Case Study 2 (Dramatic Reading) https://youtu.be/GBIAd469vnM
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Don't we all....

Thanks, Todd
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

adrianstephens wrote: February 19th, 2021, 8:23 am May I take: Nicobulus, an aged citizen of Athens
that's just how I'm feeling...
As one aged citizen of Athens to another, I know how you feel :lol:
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
Tchaikovsky

Post by Tchaikovsky »

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
adrianstephens

Post by adrianstephens »

My Librivox-related YouTube series starts here: Part 0: Introduction. https://youtu.be/pMHYycgA5VU
Part 15: Case Study (Poem) https://youtu.be/41sr_VC1Qxo
Part 16: Case Study 2 (Dramatic Reading) https://youtu.be/GBIAd469vnM
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

wow, a big job and thank you for the fast turn-around. Todd is always happy when the stage directions are in, so he can start assembling right away. :thumbs:

There are a few missed bits though:

Act 1:

> at about 0:29: could you please also insert recordings for the cast list ? Todd will use your voice if any readers disappear without a complete voice credit. Please read: "Dramatis Personae." Then all the list in the order you see in the book: "Silenus, the Divinity, who speaks the Prologue, read by" – "Nicobulus, an aged citizen of Athens, read by" (and so on till the last two: "First Bacchis, twin-sister, courtesan, read by" and "Second Bacchis, twin sister, courtesan, read by". Don't forget your own voice credit: "Stage directions, read by Tchaikovsky". Finally also add: "Scene: Athens: before the houses of the First Bacchis and Philoxenus which are in the same street."

Act 2:

> at about 0:45: (p. 162) please insert: "Pistoclerus, to the first Bacchis within"

Act 3:

> at 0:45: (p. 171) repeat "enter Mnesilochus" – you can cut out the wrong version (Menosculus)
> at 1:47: (p. 176) "Lydus, to Philoxenus" – since it's at the beginning of the speech, the name needs to be included
> at about 1:50: (p. 176) missed line: "Philoxenus, to Mnesilochus"

Act 4:

> at 1:11: (p. 181) "Parasite, about to go" – also here, name needs to be included
> at 4:06 and 4:12 (p. 190): repeat "points to the open tablets" – you can delete one of the versions
> at 5:30: (p. 193) "Chrysalus, aside" – name missing

Act 5:

> at 0:49: (p. 204) "Nicobulus, knocks at the door of the house of Bacchis" – name missing
> at 1:45: (p. 208) "First Bacchis, to Nicobulus" – name missing
> at about 1:59: (p. 209) missed line: "Nicobulus, aside"

thank you

Sonia