COMPLETE[PLAY]The Princess and the Butterfly by Pinero - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

and the finale, where poor Lady Ringstead gets a shocking surprise:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/princessandthebutterfly_lady_ringstead_5.mp3
Recording time: 1:32 min.

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Lady Ringstead is entirely PL OK. I picture her as the Dowager Duchess in Downton Abbey - always has the best zingers - until Act 5 when she appears zinged upon herself.

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: March 17th, 2021, 6:44 amLady Ringstead is entirely PL OK. I picture her as the Dowager Duchess in Downton Abbey
never saw the series...is she someone like Judy Dench or Maggie Smith ? Then I guess it's a compliment.

Thanks for the fast PL :9:

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Oh, yes. It is a compliment. Of the highest order. The dramatic equivalent of a CMTO.

(Of course I PL'd your parts quickly. My rule number 1: do everything possible to please the hard-working DPL. And even try the impossible!)

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: March 17th, 2021, 6:50 am(Of course I PL'd your parts quickly. My rule number 1: do everything possible to please the hard-working DPL. And even try the impossible!)
yes, it's always good to stay in the good graces of the DPL, especially when your own sections have not been PLed yet :mrgreen:

Sonia
dianahkennedy

Post by dianahkennedy »

Kitty wrote: March 17th, 2021, 3:03 am
dianahkennedy wrote: March 16th, 2021, 1:21 pmMrs. Sabiston ready to go: May be an issue with the pronunciation of Mrs. St. Roche's name in Act 1.
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/princessandthebutterfly_mrssabiston_1.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/princessandthebutterfly_mrssabiston_2.mp3
delightfully done, Dianah, I really enjoyed the performance and character you put into it. I had to grin each time she mentions food, it seems to be her main concern in life :lol:

Both Acts PL ok. I wanted to mention the voice credit in act 1, because it wasn't our standard way of saying it, but I see you included the correct one in Act 2, so I'll make a note for Todd to use that one. Thanks

Sonia
Thank you Sonia -- I truly appreciate the feedback! Sorry about the newbie mistake in the voice credit, I had noticed that beforehand and thought I had fixed before submitting. Newbie question - is there a written credit anywhere? If so I would like to make sure that my name is listed as Diana H. Kennedy. For some reason I couldn't use caps when creating my username and now I'm stuck with people thinking my middle initial is part of my name just like on my email. :hmm: Thanks again!
Username to be read as "DianaHKennedy"
Please use Diana Helen Kennedy as voice credit - thank you!
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I put a written cast list onto the catalog page for every play. (Take a look at catalog pages for my completed plays by using the My Librivox link in my signature. Here's an example: https://librivox.org/the-mind-the-paint-girl-by-arthur-wing-pinero/ )

I changed your display name as requested.

Thanks, Todd
TrLove

Post by TrLove »

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/princessandthebutterfly_stagedirection_1_.mp3

Duration: 31:49

Here is stage direction for Act 1. Tried to avoid including Mr. Love in the background working...hope you can't hear him. If you can, I'll gag him and re-record.

Tina
AngeliqueAnja

Post by AngeliqueAnja »

Kitty wrote: March 15th, 2021, 4:50 am haha, what a funny coincidence with the name ! And now I see your mum has also joined the cast, how cool is that ! 8-)

Annis is lovely, but oh so scared compared to Fay :lol: you'll be a perfect contrast to each other. Looking forward to those dialogues.

Act 5 is straight PL ok, but I found a couple of missed lines in the other acts:

Act 1:
> at about 4:15: (p. 9) please insert: "The day after tomorrow !"

Act 2:
> at about 1:55: (p. 147) please insert: "Thank you for allowing me to come down tonight, Princess."

thank you

Sonia
Yeah, it is cool! If she had signed up before I recorded my part here, we could have recorded our scenes together and saved Todd some work!!!

fixed https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/princessandthebutterfly_1_annis_128kb.mp3

and fixed https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/princessandthebutterfly_3_annis_128kb.mp3

Annie
DR: The Mystery of a Hansom Cab (Readers Wanted)
SOLO The Fairy Latchkey

I am without internet at the moment. Not sure for how long.
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

TrLove wrote: March 17th, 2021, 3:43 pm Tried to avoid including Mr. Love in the background working...hope you can't hear him. If you can, I'll gag him and re-record.
:lol: :lol:
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

TrLove wrote: March 17th, 2021, 3:43 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/princessandthebutterfly_stagedirection_1_.mp3

Duration: 31:49

Here is stage direction for Act 1. Tried to avoid including Mr. Love in the background working...hope you can't hear him. If you can, I'll gag him and re-record.

Tina
Thank you. But gags seldom a good thing except the kind in comedy... I send my wife out shopping.

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

thank you, Tina, for this fast turn-around. Pinero is not easy to tackle. I do have in fact a big favour to ask of you and re-check and edit you entire file (see my final PL note concerning character names)

> at 0:01: question for Todd: don't you want the full title for this play, including the subtitle "or the Fantastics" ? After all, it's a crucial exclamation by my Lady Ringstead at the end, she is calling them "fantastics". I guess it's a topic that the people are dreamers for a happy future with passionate love interests even against ordinary conventions.

> at about 0:23: you forgot the cast list, we always want the narrator to include that list, to have a backup to fall on in case some readers disappear without a credit. Could you please add all the following: "The persons of the play / Princess Pannonia, read by ... / Sir George Lamorant, Baronet, read by... / Fay Zuliani, read by... / etc and so on till the final name on the list (and don't forget to include "Stage directions, read by TR Love" at this point). Please always include full descriptions as written in the book (or in the MW for that matter). Please also include the locations mentioned on the next page: "The first act. London. At the Princess Pannonia's, in Park Lane. The second act. London."... etc (the entire page)

> at 2:11: (p. 2) "Annis, at the door, hesitatingly" – oh, I'm sorry you did not know about our stage directions conventions. :( Is this your first time reading them ? The convention is to include the name of the character if the directions are at the beginning of a speech, but not include it if they are in the middle or at the end of the speech.
Here Todd explains it with examples: viewtopic.php?p=1870895#p1870895
I see you have omitted them everywhere and in a Pinero play, that affects loads of directions :? There would be no point in me writing up such a huge list, so could I please ask you to go through your entire file once more and include the names everywhere where the directions are at the beginning of a speech ? I will then PL the final result for other missed bits. Good thing you did not record all the acts yet before I could catch this.

Thank you

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

AngeliqueAnja wrote: March 17th, 2021, 4:25 pmIf she had signed up before I recorded my part here, we could have recorded our scenes together and saved Todd some work!!!
oh no, it's best the way it is. I think Todd prefers to have each role and each act in separate files anyway. You would not have only lines together in dialogue and to find back the correct spots, it's easier and less confusing to have separate files. He has his own special editing procedure. ;)

And both corrections perfectly done and PL ok :) thank you Annie !

Sonia
TrLove

Post by TrLove »

Kitty wrote: March 18th, 2021, 2:57 am
thank you, Tina, for this fast turn-around. Pinero is not easy to tackle. I do have in fact a big favour to ask of you and re-check and edit you entire file (see my final PL note concerning character names)

> at 0:01: question for Todd: don't you want the full title for this play, including the subtitle "or the Fantastics" ? After all, it's a crucial exclamation by my Lady Ringstead at the end, she is calling them "fantastics". I guess it's a topic that the people are dreamers for a happy future with passionate love interests even against ordinary conventions.

> at about 0:23: you forgot the cast list, we always want the narrator to include that list, to have a backup to fall on in case some readers disappear without a credit. Could you please add all the following: "The persons of the play / Princess Pannonia, read by ... / Sir George Lamorant, Baronet, read by... / Fay Zuliani, read by... / etc and so on till the final name on the list (and don't forget to include "Stage directions, read by TR Love" at this point). Please always include full descriptions as written in the book (or in the MW for that matter). Please also include the locations mentioned on the next page: "The first act. London. At the Princess Pannonia's, in Park Lane. The second act. London."... etc (the entire page)

> at 2:11: (p. 2) "Annis, at the door, hesitatingly" – oh, I'm sorry you did not know about our stage directions conventions. :( Is this your first time reading them ? The convention is to include the name of the character if the directions are at the beginning of a speech, but not include it if they are in the middle or at the end of the speech.
Here Todd explains it with examples: viewtopic.php?p=1870895#p1870895
I see you have omitted them everywhere and in a Pinero play, that affects loads of directions :? There would be no point in me writing up such a huge list, so could I please ask you to go through your entire file once more and include the names everywhere where the directions are at the beginning of a speech ? I will then PL the final result for other missed bits. Good thing you did not record all the acts yet before I could catch this.

Thank you

Sonia

Thank you Sonia - Yes, this is my first attempt at reading stage direction, so I’m grateful for your indulgence. I’ll incorporate your guidance and do a few trial runs before re-recording. Do you advise importing the file into software that allows me to highlight my spoken bits? Sounds prudent. I’ll also await Todd’s response to your question, but I assume you are correct.

Much obliged,Tina
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

TrLove wrote: March 18th, 2021, 6:19 amYes, this is my first attempt at reading stage direction, so I’m grateful for your indulgence.
no on the contrary, I am very sorry that I didn't catch it earlier and gave you the guidance before you started recording :( of course you couldn't know.
I’ll incorporate your guidance and do a few trial runs before re-recording.
! you definitely do NOT have to re-record the 30+ minutes entirely. This is way too much work and it can easily be avoided. What I suggest is the following:

> open your file in Audacity (if you use that program) and listen to your recording again, while following along with the text
> as soon as there is a direction at the beginning of a sentence, record the name of the character (in another audacity window) and simply paste it in front of your direction. Maybe enhance the volume so it sounds a bit similar to the rest of the text
> continuing onward you'll soon notice there will always be the same half dozen names that you need to insert, so don't close your new windows but you can always copy the same recording of your names and paste it at the exact spot where you need it. So you basically have to record only 6-10 names and recycle them when needed

In the long run this will not take much time. And you'll get perfect at editing, which is very important to learn right from the start. It saves a lot of time and re-recording is never encouraged here :)
Do you advise importing the file into software that allows me to highlight my spoken bits? Sounds prudent.
hmmm I don't really know what you mean by that, so I couldn't help you there. The step-by-step I gave you above is the way I edit my files.

Sonia