https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/princessandthebutterfly_fay_4.mp3
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ah excellent, Greg, but I knew you would be perfect for this role :thumbs: You bring in the needed joviality of his former days but also the seriousness of fearing declining health into the character. Just what I was hoping for. :9:

One small cut for Act 1:

> at 8:38: (p. 64) stumble and repeat, can be cut out once: "Oh yes, and directly my brother came home he did his"

Act 2 is straight PL ok.

But please, could you take extra care to the stage directions INSIDE your speeches for the other three acts ? You never leave much space there for Todd to edit. I will not ask you to redo these two acts as the space is still ok most of the time, but maybe going on you could make them longer ? The editor's job is hard enough, so let's make it as easy as possible with longer silences. (2-3 seconds)

Thank you

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

thank you, Jenn, now definitely PL ok

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

neecheelok70 wrote: April 19th, 2021, 5:43 am Here is Ord with no's:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/princessandthebutterfly_ord_2.mp3
and also totally PL ok now, thanks, Jim !

Sonia
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

Kitty wrote: April 19th, 2021, 5:46 am
ah excellent, Greg, but I knew you would be perfect for this role :thumbs: You bring in the needed joviality of his former days but also the seriousness of fearing declining health into the character. Just what I was hoping for. :9:

One small cut for Act 1:

> at 8:38: (p. 64) stumble and repeat, can be cut out once: "Oh yes, and directly my brother came home he did his"

Act 2 is straight PL ok.

But please, could you take extra care to the stage directions INSIDE your speeches for the other three acts ? You never leave much space there for Todd to edit. I will not ask you to redo these two acts as the space is still ok most of the time, but maybe going on you could make them longer ? The editor's job is hard enough, so let's make it as easy as possible with longer silences. (2-3 seconds)

Thank you

Sonia
Thank you for the excellent feedback as always, Sonia (and the kind words regarding my acting skills). Your words of encouragement always spur me on to do better and to bring the characters I read to life.

I have tried to be more aware of leaving space for stage directions. For some reason I have thought the norm was about 3 seconds between lines and approximately one second for stage directions that occur within a group of lines. I can't for the life of me recall from who or when I picked up that bit of info.

Nonetheless, since I plan to be a long-term member of this acting troupe I will definitely make a greater effort to leave the space you suggest. I have three more acts to edit in this play to ensure the proper space is given, in addition to future projects.

Thanks, again, for the feedback. I know that I can only but improve!

Take care,

Greg
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

GregGiordano wrote: April 19th, 2021, 9:02 amFor some reason I have thought the norm was about 3 seconds between lines and approximately one second for stage directions that occur within a group of lines. I can't for the life of me recall from who or when I picked up that bit of info.
definitely not from me or Todd :lol:

I don't know about other editors, but I don't see the difference between having to copy/paste stage directions after a speech or inside a speech. The fiddling and highlighting the correct parts is just the same method, so having enough space to find new speech chunks and highlight them accurately everywhere does make sense, in my opinion.

Also: If you only leave one second, optically that looks as if it's the same speech without any interruptions. People often make a one-second pause inside their speeches anyway without any stage directions to add in. So: leaving more space also gives the editor the added bonus of visualizing straight away where something needs to get edited in and where a part of the speech ends.

I hope this made it a bit more comprehensible. :)

Sonia
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

Kitty wrote: April 19th, 2021, 11:25 pm
GregGiordano wrote: April 19th, 2021, 9:02 amFor some reason I have thought the norm was about 3 seconds between lines and approximately one second for stage directions that occur within a group of lines. I can't for the life of me recall from who or when I picked up that bit of info.
definitely not from me or Todd :lol:

I don't know about other editors, but I don't see the difference between having to copy/paste stage directions after a speech or inside a speech. The fiddling and highlighting the correct parts is just the same method, so having enough space to find new speech chunks and highlight them accurately everywhere does make sense, in my opinion.

Also: If you only leave one second, optically that looks as if it's the same speech without any interruptions. People often make a one-second pause inside their speeches anyway without any stage directions to add in. So: leaving more space also gives the editor the added bonus of visualizing straight away where something needs to get edited in and where a part of the speech ends.

I hope this made it a bit more comprehensible. :)

Sonia
Thank you. I've edited lengthy SOLO books but I have never tried stitching together a play with twenty or thirty parts. You definitely have helped me see the problem from a different perspective. Going forward I shall do my best to add the additional space you suggest. Many thanks, as always, for the helpful suggestions. I appreciate that you share these thoughts with me, even if it takes multiple times for me to finally understand! :)
Last edited by GregGiordano on April 20th, 2021, 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

Here is the corrected Sir George Act One file:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/princessandthebutterfly_sirgeorge_1.mp3

Take care,

Greg
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

(Everything Sonia says about gaps is right. I mean of course it is right by definition just becuz it is her, but here particularly she is very sensitive to the trials and tribulations of editing and is speaking up wonderfully well in my defense.)

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

GregGiordano wrote: April 20th, 2021, 3:11 am Here is the corrected Sir George Act One file:
thank you, this is PL ok now :)

Sonia
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

ToddHW wrote: April 20th, 2021, 6:30 am Thank you.

(Everything Sonia says about gaps is right. I mean of course it is right by definition just becuz it is her, but here particularly she is very sensitive to the trials and tribulations of editing and is speaking up wonderfully well in my defense.)

Todd
One of the best things about Librivox is we all learn daily, and can do so with respect for one another. We truly are working together to achieve a common goal.

Thank you!

Greg
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

Kitty wrote: April 20th, 2021, 6:31 am
GregGiordano wrote: April 20th, 2021, 3:11 am Here is the corrected Sir George Act One file:
thank you, this is PL ok now :)

Sonia
Thank you, Sonia!

Take care,

Greg
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

GregGiordano wrote: April 20th, 2021, 7:28 am
One of the best things about Librivox is we all learn daily, and can do so with respect for one another. We truly are working together to achieve a common goal.

Thank you!

Greg
That, in a nutshell, is why I love running plays here. Well said!

Thanks, Todd
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

Here is Act Three for Sir George:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/princessandthebutterfly_sirgeorge_3.mp3

I tried to be more aware of the extra time for stage directions. Please let me know if this act is closer to the mark.

Thanks!

Greg