COMPLETE[PLAY]The Princess and the Butterfly by Pinero - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
TrLove

Post by TrLove »

Kitty wrote: March 18th, 2021, 6:33 am
TrLove wrote: March 18th, 2021, 6:19 amYes, this is my first attempt at reading stage direction, so I’m grateful for your indulgence.
no on the contrary, I am very sorry that I didn't catch it earlier and gave you the guidance before you started recording :( of course you couldn't know.
I’ll incorporate your guidance and do a few trial runs before re-recording.
! you definitely do NOT have to re-record the 30+ minutes entirely. This is way too much work and it can easily be avoided. What I suggest is the following:

> open your file in Audacity (if you use that program) and listen to your recording again, while following along with the text
> as soon as there is a direction at the beginning of a sentence, record the name of the character (in another audacity window) and simply paste it in front of your direction. Maybe enhance the volume so it sounds a bit similar to the rest of the text
> continuing onward you'll soon notice there will always be the same half dozen names that you need to insert, so don't close your new windows but you can always copy the same recording of your names and paste it at the exact spot where you need it. So you basically have to record only 6-10 names and recycle them when needed

In the long run this will not take much time. And you'll get perfect at editing, which is very important to learn right from the start. It saves a lot of time and re-recording is never encouraged here :)
Do you advise importing the file into software that allows me to highlight my spoken bits? Sounds prudent.
hmmm I don't really know what you mean by that, so I couldn't help you there. The step-by-step I gave you above is the way I edit my files.

Sonia
Oh thank you! I know how to do that. :thumbs:
Tina
TrLove

Post by TrLove »

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/princessandthebutterfly_stagedirection_1_.mp3

Duration: 38:14

Sonia, thanks for your advice. Here is the brand-spanky-new Act 1 stage direction.

Tina
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

TrLove wrote: March 19th, 2021, 1:35 pmhttps://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/princessandthebutterfly_stagedirection_1_.mp3
Sonia, thanks for your advice. Here is the brand-spanky-new Act 1 stage direction.
I hope you did not re-record it all again :shock: but rather made the copy/paste thing I told you about

In any case, I had a listen through it all now, and it's much better now :thumbs: you managed to find nearly all the stage directions and inserted the character names when needed accurately.

However you also mentioned some stand-alone character names without any description added to their name and I don't really know why you recorded those. If there is no description going with the character, you don't have to say the name at all, since the voice will tell the listener who is talking. I have noted down all the time stamps, where you can cut the names out. My advice would be to start at the end, that way the time stamps stay the same for you after cutting ;)

here is what needs to be cut:

> Mrs Marsh: at 4:39 and 8:23
> Princess: at 6:17 / 6:45 / 7:05 and 7:38
> Catherine: at 12:59 / 15:38 / 30:45 and 37:36
> Lady Chichele: at 23:18 and 23:55
> Sir George: at 32:49

Apart from this, only two parts were actually really missing, please insert at the following time stamps:

> at 7:13: (p. 8) "Princess, to Annis" – even though this looks like it is in the middle of the speech, the speech is interrupted by a stage direction mentioning Catherine, so it is treated like a new speech to make it less confusing

> at about 11:16: (p. 19) please insert missed line: "pausing by the writing-table, taking up a note"

Another question for Todd: Tina did not include the summary for the acts/scenes (on the page right after the cast list). Usually we include it, do you also want it this time ? Tina: please wait for confirmation before reuploading

Thank you, and rest assured, the next acts will be easier, since you now have more routine of the conventions :) You did start with quite a tricky assignement, tackling Pinero is not a piece of cake (kudos for bravery). Stage directions in other plays are much easier and shorter.

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Kitty wrote: March 22nd, 2021, 2:43 am Another question for Todd: Tina did not include the summary for the acts/scenes (on the page right after the cast list). Usually we include it, do you also want it this time ? Tina: please wait for confirmation before reuploading
Yes, I would like this list included. The playwright included it, giving the audience an idea of where the play goes, and should should we. It doesn't have any spoilers.

Thanks, Todd
TrLove

Post by TrLove »

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/princessandthebutterfly_stagedirection_1_.mp3
Duration: 38:37

Here is Stage Direction for Act 1, now containing the list of locations and the characters of the play, as well as the corrections requested by Kitty to the body of the work.

Tina
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

thank you Tina...everything PL ok now :clap:

It was a bit hard for me to find back the correct spots because my time stamps changed quite a lot. Giving me new time stamps for the changes would have helped making my job easier. But I found them back now and it's ok :)

On to Act 2...from now on it will surely be easier as you get into the routine.

Sonia
TrLove

Post by TrLove »

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/princessandthebutterfly_stagedirection_2_.mp3
Duration 47:22

Here is Stage Direction for Act 2.

Tina
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Given the length of these narration files, could you please record "part 1" and "part 2" and "part 3" at the beginning of one of the files just in case I need to divide any of the acts into more than one part?

Thanks, Todd
TrLove

Post by TrLove »

ToddHW wrote: March 24th, 2021, 3:16 pm Thank you.

Given the length of these narration files, could you please record "part 1" and "part 2" and "part 3" at the beginning of one of the files just in case I need to divide any of the acts into more than one part?

Thanks, Todd
Can do. Will do, in Act II, since my setup is still the same.

Tina
TrLove

Post by TrLove »

TrLove wrote: March 24th, 2021, 4:38 pm

Thanks, Todd
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/princessandthebutterfly_stagedirection_2_.mp3
Here is Act 2, with "part 1, part 2, part 3" added at the beginning, bringing the duration to 47:40

Tina
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

TrLove wrote: March 24th, 2021, 4:49 pm
TrLove wrote: March 24th, 2021, 4:38 pm

Thanks, Todd
Here is Act 2, with "part 1, part 2, part 3" added at the beginning, bringing the duration to 47:40

Tina
Thank you.

Todd