COMPLETE[PLAY]The Princess and the Butterfly by Pinero - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

RobMarland wrote: May 10th, 2021, 6:35 amI left the extra "I..." in on purpose, because I couldn't immediately figure out how it was supposed to sound, and thought it best to give a couple of options for the edit.
ah ok, then Todd can decide, thanks. I personally think the second version is more in line with the startled exclamation (hint to Todd :mrgreen: )

The part is now PL ok :thumbs:

Thank you, and have a nice afternoon still !

Sonia
OooThatsNifty

Post by OooThatsNifty »

Could I claim Mr. Adrian Mylls?
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft

Readers Wanted: Seen on the Stage, by Clayton Hamilton
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
benderca

Post by benderca »

I just wanted to let you know that I have Mrs. St. Roche all recorded, but... due to circumstances entirely... well partly... well a little bit out of my control, I will not be able to edit until later this week. Thanks for your patience. :D
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you. Glad the finals went well - were they the final ever finals? (Ha)

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

congrats to your success in the finals, Ally.

Well, and here you are playing a woman much older already ;) but you did it really well. You play the Princess actually a bit happier than I imagined her, but this makes all the scenes less gloomy than expected, which is a good thing. :thumbs: The bitter-sweetness still remains but it's not so sharp and stinging. Lovely portrait.

I did find a few missed lines though, so you are not yet done...here are my PL notes.

Act 1:
> volume is too low (only 81 dB) you could amplify the whole with +8
> at about 1:56: (p. 12) please insert: [giving a little cry of pleasure] "Ah --!"
> at about 10:52: (p. 45) please insert: "Ah ! Blanche dear--!"
> at 11:21: (p. 48) "what do you remember of the occasion" - I hear "oration"
> at about 18:20: (p. 68) please insert: "No, I don't know."

Act 2:
> volume is too low (only 84 dB) you could amplify the whole with +5
> at about 0:01: (p. 94) please insert: "Yes."
> at 0:43-0:46: (p. 102) between "perhaps sooner" and "Madame de Trémorel" - you can cut the lengthy pause here, as it's within the same speech

Act 3:
> at about 14:49: (p. 174) please insert: "Victor !"
> at 15:31-15:33: (p. 176) between "from your memory altogether" and "farewell" - pause can be cut, same speech again
> at 16:34: (p. 178) "you have never seen my nest" - you say "any nest", which sounds a bit strange in context

Act 4:
> at 8:17: (p. 244) you forgot the final and all-important sentence: "Love is ever young !"

Another note, for future dramatic readings, but which you do not have to correct this time: please be careful when stage directions are inside your speeches, also there you have to leave at least 2-3 seconds of silence for our editor to make accurate cuts. You leave enough between your speeches, when other people start talking, but you always forgot the long pauses when there were stage directions inside your own speech. :? As I said, no need to go and put in long pauses now, Todd can deal with it for this time, the editor's job is hard enough, it would be helpful to consider it for future recordings.

Thanks

Sonia
JHedrick

Post by JHedrick »

Hi Todd,

I think I can handle the servant in act two for you.
Jim in Ohio

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
JHedrick

Post by JHedrick »

Jim in Ohio

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I am sure that you have also been standing there silent but waiting to be of service for hours. That counts.

Thanks, Todd
JHedrick

Post by JHedrick »

ToddHW wrote: May 30th, 2021, 1:33 pm I am sure that you have also been standing there silent but waiting to be of service for hours. That counts.

Thanks, Todd
And setting up the billiard table. :)
Jim in Ohio

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

JHedrick wrote: May 30th, 2021, 1:24 pmHere you go - all 17 seconds of it!
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/princessandthebutterfly_servant_2.mp3
ooh a perfect English valet you are portraying here, a regular Jeeves :thumbs: pity he didn't have more lines.

Only one small addition, then all is well:

> for the voice credit, could you please always read the full description, as stated in the Magic Window ? We have two servants here in this play, so it's nice to differentiate between them. Here: "Mr. St. Roche's Servant, read by Jim Hedrick"

thanks

Sonia
JHedrick

Post by JHedrick »

Kitty wrote: May 31st, 2021, 2:57 am
JHedrick wrote: May 30th, 2021, 1:24 pmHere you go - all 17 seconds of it!
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/princessandthebutterfly_servant_2.mp3
ooh a perfect English valet you are portraying her, a regular Jeeves :thumbs: pity he didn't have more lines.

Only one small addition, then all is well:

> for the voice credit, could you please always read the full description, as stated in the Magic Window ? We have two servants here in this play, so it's nice to differentiate between them. Here: "Mr. St. Roche's Servant, read by Jim Hedrick"

thanks

Sonia
Here you go - thank you for the feedback :)

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/princessandthebutterfly_servant_2.mp3 [0:18]
Jim in Ohio

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

JHedrick wrote: May 31st, 2021, 5:03 amHere you go - thank you for the feedback :)
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/princessandthebutterfly_servant_2.mp3 [0:18]
thank you, now PL ok :) I think you said "played by", technically correct would be "read by" ;) but I think in your last version you said it correctly. No need to reupload

Sonia