COMPLETE [Play] Theft by Jack London-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Skygusty

Post by Skygusty »

I just signed up and got my test approved. This would be my first foray. Would it be possible to obtain a very small role or two, such as servant or Man1 or 2 to cut my teeth on? Male voice, older, baritone.
wib66

Post by wib66 »

Skygusty wrote: March 5th, 2021, 1:48 pm I just signed up and got my test approved. This would be my first foray. Would it be possible to obtain a very small role or two, such as servant or Man1 or 2 to cut my teeth on? Male voice, older, baritone.
Hi I recognised your name as I approved your 1 minute test. Happy to sign you up to one of those parts. Would you like to do servant in Act 1 and First Man in Act 2. As they are not in the same act it is okay for you to do both parts. However if you prefer to do just one for now and see how you feel just let me know what you prefer. Also if you could let me know how you would like your name to appear in the catalogue. It can be your real name, forum name or any other pseudonym you choose. Thanks

Edited to add - Also when recording for plays and dramatic readings please leave 4 to 5 seconds of silence between each line as it makes it easier for editing later on. Thanks
Michele
When you're having what you feel like is a 'bad day' and then someone comes along out of nowhere and extends to you the simplest of kind gestures, you feel it so deeply within your heart.” ―Miya Yamanouchi
Skygusty

Post by Skygusty »

I just read both parts I think. The servant only has about 3 lines and the 1st man not many more. That should be easily doable. I can modulate my voice somewhat as well. Let's see how those 2 parts go and move on from there. Just use my real name, Mike Furbee. I get the parts from the text listed at the beginning I assume? Thanks!
wib66

Post by wib66 »

Skygusty wrote: March 5th, 2021, 2:10 pm I just read both parts I think. The servant only has about 3 lines and the 1st man not many more. That should be easily doable. I can modulate my voice somewhat as well. Let's see how those 2 parts go and move on from there. Just use my real name, Mike Furbee. I get the parts from the text listed at the beginning I assume? Thanks!
No problem I will sign you up if you need help with anything let me know. Yes just use the link at the top of the first thread for the text. There are lots of projects needing readers so you will find plenty to do.
Michele
When you're having what you feel like is a 'bad day' and then someone comes along out of nowhere and extends to you the simplest of kind gestures, you feel it so deeply within your heart.” ―Miya Yamanouchi
Skygusty

Post by Skygusty »

I just noticed you didn't have the role of Senator Dowsett on the list of characters. This is another small one that I can do if you need it. I have the first two done and will upload this morning. Also, reading through some of the play, I noticed that there are several sound effects that seem pretty important to what is going on on stage. Do Librivox plays employ sound effects at all or does the narrator cover this?
Skygusty

Post by Skygusty »

Skygusty

Post by Skygusty »

wib66

Post by wib66 »

Skygusty wrote: March 6th, 2021, 7:11 am I just noticed you didn't have the role of Senator Dowsett on the list of characters. This is another small one that I can do if you need it. I have the first two done and will upload this morning. Also, reading through some of the play, I noticed that there are several sound effects that seem pretty important to what is going on on stage. Do Librivox plays employ sound effects at all or does the narrator cover this?
Thank you for spotting that I completely overlooked it. I will add him into the MW and put you down for Senator Dowsett. With regard to sound effects we don't put them in due to copyright etc. If a character does a certain thing like for example 'knocking on the door' they may add this in and then the narrator would not need to read that in the stage directions. Hope that makes sense. Thanks
Michele
Skygusty

Post by Skygusty »

Thank you. I spotted this in the text. It is marked for Starkweather but I believe the second line is spoken by Senator Dowslett. Could you confirm?

{Starkweather}

(_Looking first at Connie, then peering into cup of tea. He grunts
refusal, and for the first time looks up into the other man's
face. He immediately closes note-book down on finger to keep the
place._) Oh, it's you. Dowsett.

(_Painfully endeavoring to be at ease._) A pleasure, Mr.
Starkweather, an entirely unexpected pleasure to meet you here. I
was not aware you frequented frivolous gatherings of this nature.
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Skygusty wrote: March 6th, 2021, 11:42 am Thank you. I spotted this in the text. It is marked for Starkweather but I believe the second line is spoken by Senator Dowslett. Could you confirm?

{Starkweather}

(_Looking first at Connie, then peering into cup of tea. He grunts
refusal, and for the first time looks up into the other man's
face. He immediately closes note-book down on finger to keep the
place._) Oh, it's you. Dowsett.

(_Painfully endeavoring to be at ease._) A pleasure, Mr.
Starkweather, an entirely unexpected pleasure to meet you here. I
was not aware you frequented frivolous gatherings of this nature.
I just noticed this post. Yes, it is for Dowsett. I did it correctly in my reading as Starkweather.

Sometimes you really have to be on your toes to catch ones like that. Good job. That is a fairly common occurrence in plays.

Wayne
Wayne
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public. :mrgreen:
wib66

Post by wib66 »

Thanks for spotting it both of you
Michele
Skygusty

Post by Skygusty »

Thanks, both of you!
wib66

Post by wib66 »

Servant and First Man are PL OK thanks
Michele
WendyKatzHiller

Post by WendyKatzHiller »

wib66

Post by wib66 »

WendyKatzHiller wrote: March 9th, 2021, 12:07 pm Here's Mrs. Starkweather Act 1.

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/theft_mrsstarkweather_1_128kb.mp3

Thanks,
Wendy
Thank you
Michele