COMPLETE [DR] Understood Betsy by Dorothy Canfield Fisher-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Twinkle88

Post by Twinkle88 »

PL note for Narrator Ch 7:

@ 15:53 Repeat: "...he felt it give a little. She bore down with all her might, throwing her weight again and again on her lever, and finally felt the big branch perceptibly move."
Twinkle88

Post by Twinkle88 »

PL notes for Narrator Ch 8:

@ 17:07 Misread word: "From the rock they could see the lights in the farmhouses scattered along the valley road and on the side of the mountain opposite them..."

@ 16:35 Mispronounced name: "Stashie, who had the bundle, walked around soberly to the front door, put it down, and knocked loudly."
(I'm looking for a pronunciation like "STAY-she." Example audio is in the Pronunciation Guide.)

@ 15:59 Noises throughout: "One sleeve was torn to the shoulder. A piece of dry bread had slipped from his bony little hand and a tin dipper stood beside him on the bare table."
(Could you re-read these two sentences? It sounds like the microphone or microphone cord was being jostled.)

@ 12:44 Mispronounced name: "But Stashie wanted to take them to the house when 'Lias's stepfather would be there..."

@ 11:54 Mispronounced name: "said Stashie, complacently."

@ 9:57 Mispronounced name: "Stashie, as the oldest, did the first basting..."

@ 9:04 Misread word: "...and when the Saturday afternoon meetings began she was ashamed to see how much better Ellen and even Eliza could sew than she."

@ 6:53 Mispronounced name: "...the teacher confirming what Betsy and Stashie had said."

@ 5:59 Mispronounced name: "said Stashie emphatically, looking over at the drooping, battered little figure..."

@ 4:54 Mispronounced name: "...she herself had no idea what Stashie meant, but she looked wise and said nothing."

@ 4:38 Mispronounced name: "said big Stashie scornfully."

@ 4:18 Mispronounced name: "said Anastasia Monahan, called Stashie for short. She was a big girl..."

@ 1:33 You may want to mute the sniff :) : "...soft old kid shoes and white stockings. [Sound] Aunt Abigail looked at them..."

@ 0:00 Intro is incorrect. Please read it word-for-word from the script.
memarsh

Post by memarsh »

Twinkle88

Post by Twinkle88 »

Thank you!
Twinkle88

Post by Twinkle88 »

PL notes for Narrator Ch 10:

It's all PL OK, but... I should have put "Vaughan" in the Pronunciation Guide. The other readers so far have pronounced it "VOHN" (like THIS), rather than "VOH-ghan" like you did. Sorry about this, but would you mind replacing your pronunciations of it using the "VOHN" pronunciation this time?

@ 9:32 Mispronounced name: "Betsy turned and went over to the older man who had told them about the Vaughans."

@ 6:07 Mispronounced name: "She found the booth with no difficulty, but William Vaughan was not in it."

@ 6:00 Mispronounced name: "Betsy noticed it was half-past two and she decided to go first to the booth where Will Vaughan was to be..."
Twinkle88

Post by Twinkle88 »

PL notes for Narrator Ch 11:

@ 28:37 Extra words need to be removed: "End of Understood Betsy, by Dorothy Canfield Fisher. [Extra words]"

@ 26:20 Misread words: "standing over the kittens and licking them convulsively..."

@ 25:24 Longer pause needed: "Then White-bib (Molly's) put his head down to the saucer." [3-5 second pause needed] "said Molly. But White-bib went on..."

@ 21:32 Longer pause needed: "The calf came a little nearer, with lowered head." [3-5 second pause needed] "said Betsy indifferently, kicking at him."

@ 17:44 Longer pause needed: "...her wrinkled old hand trembling on the arm of the chair." [3-5 second pause needed] "continued Cousin Ann..."

@ 17:11 Longer pause needed: "It was like flinging herself into a feather-bed...." [3-5 second pause needed] "she gasped out."

@ 16:39 Longer pause needed: "Aunt Frances threw her arm around Betsy and asked again," [3-5 second pause needed] "and didn't try to hide her relief."

@ 13:04: Longer pause needed: "...as soon as possible, for he now shouted," [3-5 second pause needed] "to nobody at all, and sprang back on the steps."

@ 1:42 Longer pause needed: "...quite, quite different from the loud, imperious" [3-5 second pause needed] "with which Eleanor asked for her milk."

@ 1:21 Misread words: "The cat flashed up the steep, ladder-like stairs that led to the hay-loft."
Salvationist

Post by Salvationist »

Salvationist

Current focus: Acadia, The Watsons, and Pollyanna of the Orange Blossoms
Twinkle88

Post by Twinkle88 »

Thank you!
Guster

Post by Guster »

Just recently noticed some chapters are ready for editing, here are the first two ready for pl!

Chapter 1 time: 23:36
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/understoodbetsy_01_canfieldfisher_128kb.mp3
Chapter 2 time: 22:00
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/lunderstoodbetsy_02_canfieldfisher_128kb.mp3
Twinkle88

Post by Twinkle88 »

Thank you! :clap:
Twinkle88

Post by Twinkle88 »

Larry, I'm not sure you got the latest PL notes for Henry Putney (it was a little confusing because after you submitted your files for spot PL, I had a few further PL notes):

Twinkle88 wrote: April 15th, 2021, 5:15 pm PL notes for Henry Ch 6:

@ 4:09 Missing line: "An hundred dogs bayed deep and strong, Clattered an hundred steeds along." (Sorry! I just now realized that this line was incorrectly labeled for the Narrator.)

@ 2:13 Missing line: "What shall we have, Mother?"
Twinkle88 wrote: April 15th, 2021, 5:19 pm PL note for Henry Ch 10:

@ 1:39 Missing part of line: "When I saw 'em standin' there by the roadside I felt as though somebody had hit me a clip right in the pit of the stomach."

(I will PM this message, too.)
Twinkle88

Post by Twinkle88 »

Miss Benton Chapters 5 and 8 are spot PL OK! :thumbs: Great job, by the way!!
Twinkle88

Post by Twinkle88 »

'Lias Brewster is PL OK! :thumbs: A very small role, but great job!!
Salvationist

Post by Salvationist »

Twinkle88 wrote: May 21st, 2021, 3:35 pm 'Lias Brewster is PL OK! :thumbs: A very small role, but great job!!
Thanks for the encouragement, Twinkle!
Salvationist

Current focus: Acadia, The Watsons, and Pollyanna of the Orange Blossoms
Twinkle88

Post by Twinkle88 »

Chapter 1 is PL OK! :thumbs: