COMPLETE[PLAY]The Sorcerer by Gilbert - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

The Sorcerer, by W. S. Gilbert (1836 - 1911)
Alexis Pointdextre gets his family sorcerer to brew up a love potion. But what happens when it gets out of control? This two act operetta was a success and convinced Gilbert and Sullivan (sorry - no music in our recording of this) to go ahead and collaborate on H.M.S. Pinafore the next year.
(Summary by ToddHW)
This project is complete. Audio files can be found on our Librivox catalog page at https://librivox.org/the-sorcerer-by-w-s-gilbert/

Sorry, no singing in this. Just chant the parts where they mention singing. I have 2 chorus parts so that I can mix the parts together or keep them separate as required.

Gender neutral - I have labeled to two choruses as Male and Female so you will know which set of words to chant.

NOTE: I thought this was going to be the last Gilbert play. But I just found a dozen more to do!

Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/OriginalPlays/page/n245/mode/2up

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming roles: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available roles. Post a reply in this thread asking for the role you would like to record.
Please note: All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
  • Project Code: 4mbFH9kH
  • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._S._Gilbert (W. S. Gilbert)
  • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sorcerer
  • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 27
  • Does the project have an introduction or preface: No
  • Original publication date (if known): 1877
  • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
  • Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:

Genres for the project: Plays/Comedy

Keywords that describe the book:

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

For individual roles:
Submit one file per act. At the beginning of the first file, say:
"Character, read by your name."
Leave 3-5 seconds of space between your lines (room noise, not generated silence).

For narration/stage directions:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Act # of The Sorcerer, by W. S. Gilbert. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org."
At the end of each file say:
"End of Act #."
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Sorcerer, by W. S. Gilbert."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename:
For individual roles: sorcerer_role_#.mp3 where # is the act number. (e.g. sorcerer_romeo_1.mp3)
For final files: sorcerer_#_gilbert_128kb.mp3 where # is the act number. (e.g. sorcerer_1_gilbert_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: toddhw

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.

Thanks, Todd
AngeliqueAnja

Post by AngeliqueAnja »

Ooooh! A Gilbert play!

If there was singing, I would probably turn tail and run and hide (nobody wants to hear me sing) but as there's not, can I play Aline?
Unless you have someone in mind for her, then Constance.

Thanks,
Annie
DR: The Mystery of a Hansom Cab (Readers Wanted)
SOLO The Fairy Latchkey

I am without internet at the moment. Not sure for how long.
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Can I read (chant) the Male Chorus?

This is one G&S that I don't know at all as I have never been in it
😺
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you both.

I too had not heard of The Sorcerer, but discovered after I set this up why the name "J. W. Wells and Co., Family Sorcerers" was so familiar to me: Current author Tom Holt has 8 books wherein the main characters work for J. W. Wells and Co.

Thanks, Todd
benderca

Post by benderca »

I'd love to read Mrs. Partlet please.
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Vicar Daly, please Todd.

You just know that his full name is Vicar J. Daly. :lol:

As to singing, haven't tried that in ages. That was the night the horses broke out of the corral. :roll:

Cheers,
Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
Amendis

Post by Amendis »

May I please read the part of Lady Sangazure?
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you all for your claims.
Amendis wrote: February 8th, 2021, 6:45 pm May I please read the part of Lady Sangazure?
Thank you, welcome to Librivox, and more specifically to the drama forum. I see you have done the One Minute Test so we know your equipment is all set up properly. Did you also get the addiction warning?

Most of how things work is the same everywhere at Librivox, but there are a few special things about drams. Here is a short summary for the important special rules in drama:

1) you don't have to read an intro or outro disclaimer, this will be done by the narrator. Instead, record your voice credit at the beginning of the file using the words in the MW, which for your role should be: "Lady Sangazure, a Lady of ancient lineage, read by XXXX" (whatever you use for your reader name)

2) then browse through the text and record all the lines you have to speak. Also include any "All" lines while your character is on stage. For a big role it may be good to read the entire play to get into character, but at least it would be good to read a bit around your lines, see what the others are saying, so you can better "react" to them. Just be as expressive (according to the character) as you can in your role.

3) if there are pointers in the text qualifying your voice, like [laughs] or [whines], an added bonus would be that you act those out in your reading, if possible, to make it all more interesting.

4) You prepare and upload a separate file for each Act that your character is in. (Note - the section numbers change as I move stuff around on the MW, so remember character name, not section numbers.) Your file will be proof-listened, and you may receive some notes on corrections and their time locations in your file. These will be posted in the forum and show in the Magic Window marked as "See PL Notes" - please cut corrections into your file to update it (don't re-record the entire thing! that makes more work for everyone and risks new errors) and upload a new file (SAME NAME) in a reasonable time - like before your voice and equipment setup change and everything sounds different!

5) and most importantly: please leave enough space between each of your speeches, preferably 4-5 seconds or more. Even when you have the stage directions in the middle of your speech (for example: [kisses her hand]), also leave 4-5 seconds of pause there, because our editor (me) later on has to copy all your parts and paste them into his (my) master file and it's helpful if he (me) has enough space to fiddle with

That's it, I think. Just have fun acting out. And post any questions here.

Thanks, Todd
Amendis

Post by Amendis »

ToddHW wrote: February 9th, 2021, 9:35 am Did you also get the addiction warning?
Thank you for the clear instruction, Todd! I recorded a short selection after my one-minute test was complete and you are right - an addiction warning would have been helpful! I immediately began to poke around for another project and am so happy that there is a role open in this non-singing version of a G&S play! I'll get started today. :D
Aikenpayne

Post by Aikenpayne »

Good Evening,

Mai I claim Sir Marmaduke Pointdextre ?

Slainte,

Aiken
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
Aikenpayne

Post by Aikenpayne »

Thank you, Todd

A couple of questions for clarification, if I may...

Re Items that would have been sung (solo arias, if singing were a part of this)
1) What is meant by 'chant'? Are such arias recited in a poetical sense and interpreted by the 'performer' in context?

2) If performing in a duet with another player, is timing an issue where there needs to be some form of co-ordination between them?

Re the Chorus....
3) How many people might be in the chorus? Is there a limit to the number desired?

4) With chorus members all chanting the same lines that will eventually be 'combined' by the editor, is there a set timing and rhythm they must follow when they are recording their lines?

If possible, could you post a link to another similar Librivox project where people could listen to how the non-singing has been dealt with previously. I know I would find this helpful.

Many thanks,

Aiken
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Some BCs do set up master files for people to match rhythm to during multi-person portions. Some BCs even set up master files for people to sing along with and try to match notes with during multi-person portions.

I don't do that. I can get parts to line up well enough during editing - so long as there is no singing: I can not fiddle with pitches to get people on the same note. Hence just read like a poem - in some sorta rhythm - and I'll take care of the rest.

The beginning of Act 1 of Moliere’s "Princess of Elis" - about 4 minutes in - is a good example.

In this play I have allowed two people in the chorus to handle the male/female word differences in some places. That way there won't be more that 4-6 parts for me to align if some of the principal characters are also chanting at the same time.

Thanks, Todd
Tchaikovsky

Post by Tchaikovsky »

May I volunteer for the Notary sections?

Tchaikovsky
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd