ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

jennlea wrote: March 27th, 2021, 9:11 amShe definitely is an interesting character with emotions all over the place :lol:
:shock: oh wow, she is definitely on the verge of a hysteric breakdown here. She wanted to be on top of the game but she does come across quite hysterical, especially in the beginning. An interesting character trait you gave her here. :thumbs: Well conveyed. She is not as self-assured as one may think. Luckily she has good bestie Oliver Whitney to support her :lol: the poor guy...always only best friend. I think he may have deserved more love that Howard Stanton. :roll:

I found two small bits missing this time:

> at 5:58: (p. 72) missed bit (underlined): "there are a few things I would like to take - little souvenirs"
> at about 14:51: (p. 93) please insert: "Yes, Wilson ?"

thanks

Sonia
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

Kitty wrote: March 29th, 2021, 1:38 am :shock: oh wow, she is definitely on the verge of a hysteric breakdown here. She wanted to be on top of the game but she does come across quite hysterical, especially in the beginning. An interesting character trait you gave her here. :thumbs: Well conveyed. She is not as self-assured as one may think. Luckily she has good bestie Oliver Whitney to support her :lol: the poor guy...always only best friend. I think he may have deserved more love that Howard Stanton. :roll:
I had a hard time deciding how to portray her cause there was so many different ways to voice her! I decided to just go with whatever came out in the moment :lol:

Here is her finale:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/womansway_marion_3.mp3
15:36

There is "another peal of laughter" around 11:19 for Todd to use or not as he sees fit. I think I threw one in during a previous act but forgot to leave a note.

Will get to the corrections in Act 2 soon!

ETA: I uploaded with the wrong tech specs but should be fine now. Hopefully.
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

Kitty wrote: March 29th, 2021, 1:38 am
> at 5:58: (p. 72) missed bit (underlined): "there are a few things I would like to take - little souvenirs"
> at about 14:51: (p. 93) please insert: "Yes, Wilson ?"
Here are the corrections:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/womansway_marion_2.mp3
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
SarahJade03

Post by SarahJade03 »

Can I read for Howard Stanton please? I'm not sure if my gender will get in the way of that part since I'm a girl, but I would still like to try it. Thank you!
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Certainly. I run all my plays here with gender neutral casting. Thanks.

I see you have done the one minute test first. Good. It is not really an audition but an equipment check. Don't want to record something long before you make sure that your equipment is set up properly to give us files we can use! So just wait a bit until someone can assess the test recording.

I have a short summary for the important special rules in drama; here goes:

1) you don't have to read an intro or outro disclaimer, this will be done by the narrator. Instead, record your voice credit at the beginning of the file using the words in the MW, which should be something like: "Matilda O'Fipp, the Colonel's Daughter, read by XXXX" (whatever you use for your reader name)

2) then browse through the text and record all the lines you have to speak. Also include any "All" lines while your character is on stage. For a big role it may be good to read the entire play to get into character, but at least it would be good to read a bit around your lines, see what the others are saying, so you can better "react" to them. Just be as expressive (according to the character) as you can in your role.

3) if there are pointers in the text qualifying your voice, like [laughs] or [whines], an added bonus would be that you act those out in your reading, if possible, to make it all more interesting.

4) You prepare and upload a separate file for each Act that your character is in. (Note - the section numbers change as I move stuff around on the MW, so remember character name, not section numbers.) Your file will be proof-listened, and you may receive some notes on corrections and their time locations in your file. These will be posted in the forum and show in the Magic Window marked as "See PL Notes" - please cut corrections into your file to update it and upload a new file (SAME NAME) in a reasonable time - like before your voice and equipment setup change and everything sounds different!

5) and most importantly: please leave enough space between each of your speeches, preferably 4-5 seconds or more. Even when you have the stage directions in the middle of your speech (for example: [kisses her hand]), also leave 4-5 seconds of pause there, because our editor (me) later on has to copy all your parts and paste them into his (my) master file and it's helpful if he (me) has enough space to fiddle with

That's it, I think. Just have fun acting out. And post any questions here.

Thanks, Todd
memarsh

Post by memarsh »

Hello,

I'd be interested in reading the stage directions, but I've never read stage directions before, so I'm not exactly sure how it works. For instance, at the beginning of Act 1, would I read "Scene", "Time", and "Discovered", or just the words following?

Also, for character-specific stage directions, do I read the character's name, or just the words between the square brackets? For example, on page 6, right before Stanton's first line, the stage directions say "Wilson takes up papers" and then before Stanton actually starts talking, "seated left". Is it clear that "seated left" refers to Stanton if the character name is not said?

(I'm probably over-thinking this :hmm: but) any guidelines would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Mariah
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

hello Mariah, and thank you for taking over the stage directions. They are always eagerly awaited.

To reply to your questions, actually there are a few special rules to read drama and specifically the narrator's part:
I'd be interested in reading the stage directions, but I've never read stage directions before, so I'm not exactly sure how it works. For instance, at the beginning of Act 1, would I read "Scene", "Time", and "Discovered", or just the words following?
yes basically read everything that is not performed by the readers for the specific roles and exactly like it's written in the script. The narrator will also read the LV disclaimer intro and outro (see first post for exact wording).

I am not sure if Todd wants the whole introduction read as well...please don't read it yet until we have confirmation. He is out of town for the moment, so may check in later.

I would suggest starting with Acts 2 and 3 first because Act 1 is always trickiest and it's best if you already have a bit of experience with the other acts before recording that one. The best would be to record and edit Act 2 for example, then post it here and wait for my PL notes, so that any errors you might have done will not be repeated in Act 3. ;)
Also, for character-specific stage directions, do I read the character's name, or just the words between the square brackets? For example, on page 6, right before Stanton's first line, the stage directions say "Wilson takes up papers" and then before Stanton actually starts talking, "seated left". Is it clear that "seated left" refers to Stanton if the character name is not said?
yes there is a special rule on when to say the character names and when not. A while ago we compiled a nice little summary with examples to illustrate it accurately:

For the stage directions, you need to read everything that is not read by the actors. So each time you see "closes door" or "drinks wine", "exit left" or "aside", you would need to read. Often it's written in italics or between brackets, but not always, so finding all the directions can be tricky business.

There is a special rule that concerns reading the characters' names. It's quite easy to remember:

1) if the stage direction appears at the beginning of the speech, you include the character's name.
Example:
John (sitting down on the couch): "I feel a headache coming on."
you would read everything I underlined now, including the name.

2) if the stage direction is in the middle or at the end of the speech, you do not repeat the name, because it's already clear who is speaking.
Example:
John: "I feel a headache coming on." (sits down on the couch) "I think I need a rest." (dozes off)
both times, no name included, only the underlined parts would be read.

Other special rules for drama are the following:

> Please leave at least 2 seconds or more between each chunk. It makes copy/pasting easier for our editor.

> Also - record a voice credit for yourself: "Stage directions, read by XXXX"

> for Act 1 please also include the whole cast of character list, each time saying "General Livingstone, read by", Mrs Livingstone, read by" (etc) and also the summaries for the three acts following the cast list in the book. But as I said, best leave Act 1 for last, especially because we need confirmation from Todd on whether to include the introduction text.

If you have further questions, don't hesitate to ask. I'lll sign you up for now. Thank you so much.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

jennlea wrote: April 3rd, 2021, 11:57 amI had a hard time deciding how to portray her cause there was so many different ways to voice her! I decided to just go with whatever came out in the moment :lol:
yes sometimes the best is to go with the flow. I think you created a great character, though she is a bit difficult to live with in my opinion :lol: But well...I wouldn't have taken Howard back. :roll:

Excellent job, Jenn and all PL ok (also the corrections for Act 2)

Thank you

Sonia
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

Kitty wrote: April 6th, 2021, 10:08 am
jennlea wrote: April 3rd, 2021, 11:57 amI had a hard time deciding how to portray her cause there was so many different ways to voice her! I decided to just go with whatever came out in the moment :lol:
yes sometimes the best is to go with the flow. I think you created a great character, though she is a bit difficult to live with in my opinion :lol: But well...I wouldn't have taken Howard back. :roll:

Excellent job, Jenn and all PL ok (also the corrections for Act 2)
Thank you! Her character overall annoyed me and I personally wouldn't have taken Howard back either. Maybe that is why I voiced her the way I did :lol:

Anywho, looking forward to listening to this when it is complete.
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

jennlea wrote: April 6th, 2021, 10:16 amHer character overall annoyed me and I personally wouldn't have taken Howard back either. Maybe that is why I voiced her the way I did :lol:
ah so you saw her as more annoying as well ? Great...I thought it was only me having this feeling while reading the play so I held back a bit on my verdict :lol: But since you felt the same way, I'm relieved it was done on purpose :thumbs: Well...they don't have to be all 100% nice characters to be interesting.

Sonia
memarsh

Post by memarsh »

Kitty wrote: April 6th, 2021, 1:56 am
I would suggest starting with Acts 2 and 3 first because Act 1 is always trickiest and it's best if you already have a bit of experience with the other acts before recording that one. The best would be to record and edit Act 2 for example, then post it here and wait for my PL notes, so that any errors you might have done will not be repeated in Act 3. ;)
Thank you for answering all my questions, Sonia! This is much clearer now :D

I'll start with Act 2.
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Lynch act 3 (an enjoyable cameo)

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/womansway_lynch_3.mp3

Had a problem accessing the uploader this morning, I hope this ended up in the right file :hmm:
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose