COMPLETE[PLAY]A Woman's Way by Buchanan - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

A Woman's Way, by Thompson Buchanan (1877 - 1937)
"A Woman's Way" belongs to a class of comedy curiously rare on our native stage in recent seasons, the comedy of smart people, with a flavor of character study to give it dignity." <BR><BR>"In this comedy, it is "inevitable" that the wife and the other woman should meet in the presence of the husband, and that they should come to open grapple under the very eyes of the audience. The joy of [Buchanan's] comedy, of course, in no small measure is due to the fact that the other woman is not at all the sort of antagonist the wife expected; that she is, in fact, charming, with worldly poise equal to the occasion."

(Summary by Walter Prichard Eaton, 1915)

This project is complete. Audio files can be found on our catalog page at https://librivox.org/a-womans-way-by-thompson-buchanan/

Here's another Buchanan to go along with the recently cataloged Civilian Clothes.

Gender neutral casting.

And our DPL will be the fabulous Kitty. Who gets to say that immortal line: "General Livingstone, I presume!" while I get to say, with perhaps more fear and trepidation, "Mrs. Livingstone, you presume!"

Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/cu31924022306660/page/n3/mode/2up

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming roles: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available roles. Post a reply in this thread asking for the role you would like to record.
Please note: All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
  • Project Code: wZrtxFWH
  • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thompson_Buchanan (Thompson Buchanan)
  • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
  • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 41
  • Does the project have an introduction or preface: No
  • Original publication date (if known): 1915
  • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
  • Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:

Genres for the project: Plays/Drama

Keywords that describe the book: other woman

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

For individual roles:
Submit one file per act. At the beginning of the first file, say:
"Character, read by your name."
Leave 3-5 seconds of space between your lines (room noise, not generated silence).

For narration/stage directions:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Act # of A Woman's Way, by Thompson Buchanan. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org."
At the end of each file say:
"End of Act #."
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of A Woman's Way, by Thompson Buchanan."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename:
For individual roles: womansway_role_#.mp3 where # is the act number. (e.g. womansway_romeo_1.mp3)
For final files: womansway_#_buchanan_128kb.mp3 where # is the act number. (e.g. womansway_1_buchanan_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: toddhw

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Woo hoo! Love the new template! Thank you, thank you!

Love to have a DPL....

Todd
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

Another good play Todd! May I claim Marion?
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Can I take Lynch please?
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
AngeliqueAnja

Post by AngeliqueAnja »

Sounds like fun, can I play Salie Liningstone?

Annie
DR: The Mystery of a Hansom Cab (Readers Wanted)
SOLO The Fairy Latchkey

I am without internet at the moment. Not sure for how long.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you all.

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

I decided to join the play after all. The good news is I can DPL. The bad news...I'll be Mrs Livingstone, your dear significant other, Todd :twisted:

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Yay - good news. Boo - bad news.....

Since I am the only one that will suffer the bad news part of this, I guess everyone should be extremely happy.

Thank you, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

another first role in. Mrs Livingstone doesn't have that much to say, and luckily for you, Todd, we are barely interacting at all :mrgreen: Also, I think she may not be the hellhound you feared she was.

But I used the best upper-class sneering tone of voice I could muster for this role. Hope I sound a bit convincing :lol:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/womansway_mrs_livingstone_1.mp3
Recording time: 3:54 min.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/womansway_mrs_livingstone_2.mp3
Recording time: 1:12 min.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/womansway_mrs_livingstone_3.mp3
Recording time: 0:32 min.

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Also, I think she may not be the hellhound you feared she was.
Well, you mean another chance for me to get the upper hand? Hooray!

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: February 15th, 2021, 2:40 pmWell, you mean another chance for me to get the upper hand? Hooray!
yes this time the General seems to be a sort of über-husband and father. Totally in control. So this time you can let loose all the authority you can rustle up. But you cannot really indulge in bullying your wife because we don't have much interaction on stage. :lol:

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Perfectly done, my dear, just what I would expect from a Livingstone. All PL OK.

Alas, so little interaction between us.

Thanks, Todd
benderca

Post by benderca »

ToddHW wrote: February 4th, 2021, 8:08 am And our DPL will be the fabulous Kitty. Who gets to say that immortal line: "General Livingstone, I presume!" while I get to say, with perhaps more fear and trepidation, "Mrs. Livingstone, you presume!"
I can not read a comment such as the above one and not BEG to be part of this production! :lol:
Please, please may I play Mrs. Stanton?
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Snared another one! I suppose, since you begged.....

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

And our DPL will be the fabulous Kitty. Who gets to say that immortal line: "General Livingstone, I presume!" while I get to say, with perhaps more fear and trepidation, "Mrs. Livingstone, you presume!"
I can not read a comment such as the above one and not BEG to be part of this production! :lol:
Please, please may I play Mrs. Stanton?
great, we will have a nice cosy dialogue together (read: we will be hypocritically nice to each other while kicking our shins under the table :lol: )

BTW the quote Todd is using to ensare innocent readers is actually not at all in the play :lol: at least I can't remember reading it :hmm: But I agree: it should have been to enhance the play. It's one of those fabled off-stage interactions between the Livingstones that the listeners can imagine when they leave the theatre. :mrgreen:

Sonia