COMPLETE [Play]: Seven Keys to Baldpate by George M. Cohan-mtf

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
MManolakes

Post by MManolakes »

Seven Keys to Baldpate by George M. Cohan (1878 - 1942).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/seven-keys-to-baldpate-by-george-m-cohan/
Betting that he can write 10,000 words in 24 hours, a novelist locks himself into a snowbound summer resort on Baldpate Mountain with what he believes is the one and only key to Baldpate Inn. Yet his work is interrupted by a number of colorful characters who have arrived for various shady enterprises, each thinking they had the only key to the inn. Soon it is clear there must be seven keys to Baldpate. The mystery deepens as the novelist finds himself entangled in an improbable series of schemes and plans. George M. Cohan, the famous American vaudevillian and songwriter, was also a successful playwright, and he adapted this work for the stage from the novel by Earl Derr Biggers. ( Mike Manolakes)
    1. Is there a deadline?
      We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    2. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here
      To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    3. New to recording?
      Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/cu31924022326114/page/n5/mode/2up
    5. Please claim roles (the numbers in the first column below)! Please note: All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
      ===========================================
      This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
      • Project Code: GeYWcqXQ
      • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (George M. Cohan) : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_M._Cohan
      • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Keys_to_Baldpate_(play)
      • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 28
      • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
      • Original publication date (if known): 1913
        ============================================

Genres for the project: Plays/Comedy

Keywords that describe the book: comedy mystery farce satire

============================================
      • BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
        Channels: 1 (Mono)
        Bit Rate: 128 kbps
        Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

Submit one file per act.
      • Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
        [Role], read by [your name].

If you are reading stage directions, please include for each file:At the beginning: Act [#] of Seven Keys to Baldpate , by George M. Cohan . This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit Librivox dot org.

At the end: End of Act [#].

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
      • AFTER recording
        Save files as 128 kbps MP3
        sevenkeystobaldpate_[role]_[#]_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the act number.

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
        • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
          (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
        • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: mightyfelix
        • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
        • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
        Please post below
Last edited by MManolakes on April 17th, 2021, 2:14 pm, edited 5 times in total.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Oh, this one looks like fun! I was tempted by it when I saw it in the Play Suggestions thread.

Everything looks good with your template, except you're going to need a lot more than 2 sections for your MW. Check out some of the plays that are currently running to see an example of a good process. Generally, you'll need a section for each completed act (you've got that part already :wink: ), plus a section for the narrator for each act, and a section for each character in each act. That's the best way to keep track of everyone's parts and submissions. Could you take a look at the character breakdown for each act to find out how many sections total that gives you and post it here please?
MManolakes

Post by MManolakes »

Ah, thanks for clearing that up! I was thinking it meant how many sections the completed play would have -- two sections, for a two-act play. Now it makes more sense.

There will be 28 sections.

Mike
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Great! Then I will set it up for you. Do you need a DPL, or do you plan on filling that role yourself? What about editing?
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Ok. Your MW is ready. Do you know, this will be the first work we have by Cohan? I was surprised, reading about how prolific and influential he was, that we didn't already have any of his. He wrote several shows that are definitely PD by now. But maybe the texts are hard to find? :hmm:

Let me know if you need any help getting set up. I'll probably take on a role myself, once the MW is filled in. :D
MManolakes

Post by MManolakes »

Thanks. Hope I got the MW right. First time tackling a full-length play, and I'm looking forward to it.

Mike
MManolakes

Post by MManolakes »

mightyfelix wrote: January 22nd, 2021, 11:54 am Great! Then I will set it up for you. Do you need a DPL, or do you plan on filling that role yourself? What about editing?
I expect to do the editing myself, but I would appreciate a DPL.

Mike
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Well, if you're open to claims, I'd like to claim Bland.

Cheers,
Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Can I read Peters the Hermit?
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
MManolakes

Post by MManolakes »

SonOfTheExiles wrote: January 22nd, 2021, 2:14 pm Well, if you're open to claims, I'd like to claim Bland.

Cheers,
Chris
Thanks! All yours.

Mike
MManolakes

Post by MManolakes »

alanmapstone wrote: January 22nd, 2021, 3:02 pm Can I read Peters the Hermit?
Of course!

Mike
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

I can read for Thomas Hayden!
Tomas Peter
MManolakes

Post by MManolakes »

WiltedScribe wrote: January 22nd, 2021, 3:42 pm I can read for Thomas Hayden!
Thank you!

Mike
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

Oh yay! I’m glad this one got picked up!

May I claim Myra?
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Looks great, Mike! I've added a tilde to your subject line so that potential PLs know that you are looking.

It's not absolutely essential, but for most of our plays, we include a character description in the MW if one is given in the script, as on page 4. (Well, it's not numbered, but it's the one right before page 5!) So, for instance, we have
Elijah Quimby, the caretaker of Baldpate Inn
Mrs. Quimby, the caretaker's wife
William Hallowell Magee, the novelist
etc. For one thing, this helps your potential readers to choose which role they'd prefer. It's also good to have everyone read that description as part of their voice credit, so that listeners can get an idea of who is who, and it's easier for them to find it if it's in the MW.

All that being said, I'd like to read for Mary Norton, please. :)