COMPLETE [Play]: Seven Keys to Baldpate by George M. Cohan-mtf

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Mike, I'm sorry, but I found one more problem that we need to solve before we can send this to the catalogue. I didn't notice how long these acts are until just now. Our sections cannot exceed 74 minutes at the very most. That means that both of these acts are too long and will need to be split.

Kelly, can we get from you the following, please:

"Act 1, Part 1 of..."
"Act 1, Part 2 of..."
"Act 2, Part 1 of..."
"Act 2, Part 2 of..."
"End of Act 1, Part 1."
"End of Act 1, Part 2."
"End of Act 2, Part 1."
"End of Act 2, Part 2."

Then, Mike, you'll need to find a good place to split each act and add the appropriate tags to beginning and end. I've already added two sections to the MW to accommodate this, and I've deleted the sections for individual readers.

EDIT: Oh yes, and also make sure to put the duration of each part in the notes column of the MW when you upload the new ones.
MManolakes

Post by MManolakes »

OK. I did wonder if the length would be a problem. I’ll upload the new split versions as soon as I get the new tags from Kelly.

Mike
MManolakes

Post by MManolakes »

It looks like we can make it work if we separate the lengthy prologue from Act 1. Rather than call it Act 1 Part 1 and Act 1 Part 2, we can just call it Prologue and Act 1. Both parts will come under the time limit then.

Act 2 has a short epilogue. If we make the Epilogue a separate file, Act 2 is just a few seconds over 74 minutes. I can probably make it even shorter if I trim a few pauses here and there.

If Kelly can make new tags opening and closing the Prologue and the Epilogue (instead of Parts 1 and 2), I should be able to upload the completed files quickly.

Mike
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

MManolakes wrote: May 8th, 2021, 10:27 am It looks like we can make it work if we separate the lengthy prologue from Act 1. Rather than call it Act 1 Part 1 and Act 1 Part 2, we can just call it Prologue and Act 1. Both parts will come under the time limit then.

Act 2 has a short epilogue. If we make the Epilogue a separate file, Act 2 is just a few seconds over 74 minutes. I can probably make it even shorter if I trim a few pauses here and there.

If Kelly can make new tags opening and closing the Prologue and the Epilogue (instead of Parts 1 and 2), I should be able to upload the completed files quickly.

Mike
Works for me! Feel free to change the MW accordingly.

Another little trick to shave the time down is the Change Tempo effect in Audacity. If you select the whole recording and speed it up just slightly, it is sometimes possible to get it short enough without changing the speed noticeably.
ktaylor07

Post by ktaylor07 »

Okay, here's the new prologue/epilogue tags. Hope this does the trick!

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/sevenkeystobaldpate_stagedirections_3_128kb.mp3
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Oh my gracious, Mike, I must have run off to chase a squirrel right when you posted this and never come back to it! :oops: I totally forgot that it was ready for cataloguing. :( I hope you haven't been checking every hour to see if it was done yet! :lol: (And if you were, a friendly PM would not have been out of place! :wink: )

Unfortunately, I happened to remember when it was already past my bedtime. But I will certainly make it priority number one after work tomorrow!
MManolakes

Post by MManolakes »

Don't worry about it. I was wondering if I was the one who had skipped a step before cataloguing. Let me know if there's anything else you need from me.

Mike
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Whew, what a weekend! This is the first down time I've had. :roll:

I'm getting started on cataloguing now. I have one final note to keep in mind if you BC another one, Mike. (And this is equally true for dramatic projects as well as the more "traditional" ones.) Remember that in order to sort correctly, the section file names need to have the correct numeric values. So if you split anything, the numbers in file names need to follow section numbers, not act numbers, chapter numbers or what have you.

So, in this case, the correct format ought to be:
Prologue sevenkeystobaldpate_1_cohan_128kb.mp3
Act 1 sevenkeystobaldpate_2_cohan_128kb.mp3
Act 2 sevenkeystobaldpate_3_cohan_128kb.mp3
Epilogue sevenkeystobaldpate_4_cohan_128kb.mp3

I have fixed it in this case, and I'm sorry I did not mention that detail earlier. The devil is in the details, as they say.

This is officially in validation. It should be ready by end of day.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/seven-keys-to-baldpate-by-george-m-cohan/
MManolakes

Post by MManolakes »

Thanks for the clarification. I didn't see it explicitly explained anywhere, so I tried to follow other projects' file names as examples. I'll keep it in mind for next time.

Mike
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

MManolakes wrote: May 23rd, 2021, 4:01 pm Thanks for the clarification. I didn't see it explicitly explained anywhere, so I tried to follow other projects' file names as examples. I'll keep it in mind for next time.

Mike
I don't believe it is explicitly explained anywhere, which is an issue I've actually brought up with the other admins recently. This is the third project I've MCed in the last couple of months that has needed to be split, with the BC unsure how to do so, so you're not alone! So far, none of us admins has had the time and initiative to remedy that, but I have a week off at the beginning of June, and it's on my to-do list for that week!