Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
OooThatsNifty

Post by OooThatsNifty »

Kitty wrote: May 10th, 2021, 7:39 am here is the officer :)
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/emperorofthemoon_officer_1_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 2:15 min.
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/emperorofthemoon_officer_3_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 2:13 min.
Sonia
Perfectly PL OK! Thanks Sonia! :thumbs:
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft

Readers Wanted: Seen on the Stage, by Clayton Hamilton
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

OooThatsNifty wrote: May 11th, 2021, 9:01 am Perfectly PL OK! Thanks Sonia! :thumbs:
thank you, and hey, for once our roles have been inversed :mrgreen:

Sonia
Salvationist

Post by Salvationist »

Salvationist

Current focus: Acadia, The Watsons, and Pollyanna of the Orange Blossoms
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
OooThatsNifty

Post by OooThatsNifty »

Salvationist wrote: May 17th, 2021, 3:57 pm Here's Galileus:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/emperorofthemoon_galileus_3_128kb.mp3 20 seconds
This is PL OK! :thumbs:
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft

Readers Wanted: Seen on the Stage, by Clayton Hamilton
Zanna

Post by Zanna »

I would love to read Clerk (10) in Act 3.
Thank you
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Zanna wrote: June 22nd, 2021, 3:15 pm I would love to read Clerk (10) in Act 3.
Thank you
Thank you, welcome to Librivox, and more specifically to the drama forum. I am glad you have already done the 1 Minute Test so we know your equipment is all set up properly. Did you also get the addiction warning?

Most of how things work is the same everywhere at Librivox, but there are a few special things about dramas. Here is a short summary of the important special rules:

1) you don't have to read an intro or outro disclaimer, this will be done by the narrator. Instead, record your voice credit at the beginning of the file using the words in the MW, which for your role should be: "Clerk, read by XXXX" (whatever you use for your reader name)

2) then browse through the text and record all the lines you have to speak. Also include any "All" lines while your character is on stage. For a big role it may be good to read the entire play to get into character, but at least it would be good to read a bit around your lines, see what the others are saying, so you can better "react" to them. Just be as expressive (according to the character) as you can in your role.

3) if there are pointers in the text qualifying your voice, like [laughs] or [whines], an added bonus would be that you act those out in your reading, if possible, to make it all more interesting.

4) You prepare and upload a separate file for each Act that your character is in. (Note - the section numbers change as I move stuff around on the MW, so remember character name, not section numbers.) Your file will be proof-listened, and you may receive some notes on corrections and their time locations in your file. These will be posted in the forum and show in the Magic Window marked as "See PL Notes" - please cut corrections into your file to update it (don't re=record the entire thing! that makes more work for everyone and risks new errors) and upload a new file (SAME NAME) in a reasonable time - like before your voice and equipment setup change and everything sounds different!

5) and most importantly: please leave enough space between each of your speeches, preferably 4-5 seconds or more. Even when you have the stage directions in the middle of your speech (for example: [kisses her hand]), also leave 4-5 seconds of pause there, because our editor (me) later on has to copy all your parts and paste them into his (my) master file and it's helpful if he (me) has enough space to fiddle with

That's it, I think. Just have fun acting out. And post any questions here.

Thanks, Todd
Zanna

Post by Zanna »

Got it! Thanks! :thumbs:
feminerdist

Post by feminerdist »

Alright, Scaramouch looks fun as hell. I'd like to give him a try.
One question though. He's got a song in II.5... do y'all have a tune in mind? Or just go with what my heart tells me? :)
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

I prefer no singing. Chanting the words perhaps, or read as a poem are my choices. Hard to ensure tunes are in the public domain. But if you must....

Thanks, Todd
feminerdist

Post by feminerdist »

ToddHW wrote: June 24th, 2021, 4:53 am Thank you.

I prefer no singing. Chanting the words perhaps, or read as a poem are my choices. Hard to ensure tunes are in the public domain. But if you must....

Thanks, Todd
Haha, nope. There is no must. Read as a poem is MUCH easier. Thank you.
Zanna

Post by Zanna »

I have a question. I am reading the CLERK, in Act III and noticed that the clerk is referred to as a "He", several times. Is that a problem?
Zanna

Post by Zanna »

Here is the Clerk! Hope it's fine! :P
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/clerk.mp3
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you. Our DPL will check this soon.

Two things though. First, you asked about gender of the character. I cast gender neutral so anyone can play a role, but we always use the author's words so whatever gender the author used for a character they put into the play, that's how we act the role and how they will get referred to "on stage". Regardless of who of what gender takes on the role here. Similar to the theatrical practice for young men playing Shakespeare's women in their day, or women playing young men with "flying" roles like Peter Pan that have the stage crew pulling all the ropes around.

Second, please pay attention to the file name from the first posting. The abbreviated name of the play should be the first part of the file name. Becuz there are a lot of plays going on and maybe there will be another clerk somewhere, and with the same filename you will overwrite or be overwritten by each other. Similarly you need to include the number of the act so you don't overwrite yourself. Your file here should be named "emperorofthemoon_clerk_3_128kb". No need to fix it now, but be careful in the future.

Thanks, Todd