[EDITING] [DramReading] The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald-mtf

Plays and other dramatic works
benderca

Post by benderca »

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (1896 - 1940).

"The Great Gatsby is a 1925 novel by American writer F. Scott Fitzgerald. Set in the Jazz Age on Long Island, the novel depicts narrator Nick Carraway's interactions with mysterious millionaire Jay Gatsby and Gatsby's obsession to reunite with his former lover, Daisy Buchanan." (This summary is from Wikipedia, but I will write my own). ( Wikipedia)
All roles will be gender neutral.
Please read ONLY from the script links in the MW!

MC: Devorah Allen (mightyfelix)
BC: TJ Burns (benderca)
Parts-PL: TJ
Chapters-PL: Lynette (LCaulkins)
Narrator: TJ
Editor: TJ

1. Is there a deadline?
      We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen. Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    2. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here
      To find a part to record, simply look at column 2 "Title". All the roles without names beside them (in the "Reader" column) are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which role you would like to read. Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    3. New to recording?
      Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (Please only read from scripts in Magic Window!): https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.184960/
    5. Please claim roles (column 2)! Please note: All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

============================================

Genres for the project: Historical Fiction; Romance

Keywords that describe the book: literature, classics, American Literature, jazz age

============================================
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

Submit one file per chapter.
    7. Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      [Role], read by [your name].

If you are reading narrator, please include for each file:
      At the beginning of Chapter 1: "Chapter 1 of The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald. This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit Librivox dot org.

For all further chapters, please include at the beginning: "Chapter [##] of The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald. This Librivox recording is in the public domain."

At the end of each chapter: "End of Chapter [##]."

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Save files as 128 kbps MP3
      greatgatsby_[role]_[##]_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the chapter number.

Note for the Editor:
      Please name final edited chapters with the following format: greatgatsby_01_fitzgerald_128kb.mp3 (Dramatis Personae will be numbered as "00".)

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: mightyfelix
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
Last edited by benderca on November 15th, 2022, 4:09 am, edited 13 times in total.
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Hi TJ!

Great to see this classic getting the LibriVox DR treatment this soon and I'd love to be involved in some way. I'd love to play whichever of the male roles in this that are still open (as I'm assuming you'll be taking care of Nick as the narrator). :D
Tomas Peter
benderca

Post by benderca »

WiltedScribe wrote: January 1st, 2021, 7:58 pm Hi TJ!

Great to see this classic getting the LibriVox DR treatment this soon and I'd love to be involved in some way. I'd love to play whichever of the male roles in this that are still open (as I'm assuming you'll be taking care of Nick as the narrator). :D
Great to have you on board, Tomas!
Yes, my plan was to play Nick. How would you like to play Gatsby? You'd be fantastic! All the other male roles are also open. Cadastra will be playing Daisy.
But... if you really want to play Nick, I could be Jordan. That'd be fun for me too (and less work). But, for now... I'll reserve Gatsby for you. :D
(I've tried to script the book to have the narrator's part read by as many people as possible (so I've given lots of paraphrased sections and backstory explanations to the characters themselves, rather than to the narrator -- makes for more exciting drama).
Last edited by benderca on January 1st, 2021, 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
benderca

Post by benderca »

Main Characters:
Jay Gatsby (Ch 3, Ch 4, Ch 5, Ch 6, Ch 7, Ch 8, Ch 9)
Ambitious, idealistic, fabulously wealthy young man of humble origins, who hosts lavish parties and obsesses over his longtime love, Daisy.
Daisy Buchanan (Ch 1, Ch 4, Ch 5, Ch 6, Ch 7)
Beautiful, mesmerizing, and rich. She enraptures men, especially Gatsby, with her diaphanous nature and sultry voice.
Jordan Baker (Ch 1, Ch 3, Ch 4, Ch 7, Ch 8, Ch 9)
The ultimate party girl, professional golfer and the group’s resident cynic.
Tom Buchanan (Ch 1, Ch 2, Ch 4, Ch 6, Ch 7)
Daisy’s brutal, arrogant, racist, sexist, and wealthy husband
Nick Carraway (Ch 1, Ch 2, Ch 3, Ch 4, Ch 5, Ch 6, Ch 7, Ch 8, Ch 9)
Honest, tolerant, and inclined to reserve judgment, often serves as a confidant for those with troubling secrets.

Supporting Characters:
George Wilson, Myrtle’s husband, the lifeless, exhausted owner of a run-down auto shop, (51 lines) Ch 2, Ch 7, Ch 8
Myrtle Wilson,, Tom’s lower class, married lover (39 lines) Ch 2, Ch 7
Catherine, Myrtle’s sister, worldly woman of about thirty (30 lines) Ch 2, Ch 9
Mr. McKee , Myrtle’s neighbor, (12 lines) Ch 2
Mrs. McKee, Myrtle’s neighbor (9 lines) Ch 2
Owl Eyes, eccentric, bespectacled drunk, (27 lines), Ch 3, Ch 9,
Meyer Wolfshiem, Gatsby's business associate and link to organized crime. (49 lines), Ch 4, Ch 9
Mr. Klipspringer, Gatsby’s boarder (18 lines), Ch 5, Ch 9
Mr. Gatz, Gatsby’s father, (19 lines), Ch 9
Police Officer , (17 lines), Ch 4, Ch 7, Ch 8
Michaelis, Wilson’s charitable neighbor, (19 lines), Ch 7, Ch 8
Mr. Sloane, Gatsby’s rich, snobby neighbor, (10 lines), Ch 6
Horse Woman, Gatsby’s rich neighbor on horseback, (8 lines), Ch 6
Stella, Wolfshiem’s assistant, (9 lines), Ch 9

Small Roles:
Nick’s Dad (2 lines), Ch 1,
Man 2 / Waiter / Doctor Civet (7 lines), Ch 1, Ch 3, Ch 4, Ch 6,
Dog Breeder (7 lines) Ch 2,
Gatsby’s Butler (Butler1) (11 lines), Ch 3, Ch 7, Ch 8
Tom’s Butler (Butler 2) (7 lines), Ch 7, Ch 9,
Girl 1 (16 lines), Ch 3, Ch 4
Lucille (8 lines), Ch 3, Ch 4
Orchestra Leader (5 lines), Ch 3,
Drunk Driver (7 lines), Ch 3,
Woman 1 (6 lines), Ch 3, Ch 4, Ch 6, Ch 7,
Woman 2 / Motorist / Nurse (6 lines), Ch 3, Ch 6, Ch 7, Ch 8,
Woman 3 / Operator (5 lines), Ch 3, Ch 4, Ch 9,
Miss Baedeker, drunk party guest, (4 lines), Ch 6
Dan Cody, Gatsby’s worldly mentor (5 lines), Ch 6
Slagle, another of Gatsby’s business associates from organized crime, (4 lines), Ch 9,
Pammy Buchanan (4 lines), Ch 7, Tom & Daisy’s daughter
Witness (3 lines), Ch 7,
Reporter (3 lines), Ch 6,
Conductor (2 lines), Ch 7,
Chauffeur (2 lines), Ch 8,
Gardener (2 lines), Ch 8,
Elevator Boy / Boy 1 (2 lines), Ch 2, Ch 8,
Last edited by benderca on January 3rd, 2021, 8:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Hi TJ
I would very much like to read George Wilson.
A small role but an important one.
I think I can do the accent :hmm:
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
benderca

Post by benderca »

alanmapstone wrote: January 1st, 2021, 8:30 pm Hi TJ
I would very much like to read George Wilson.
A small role but an important one.
I think I can do the accent :hmm:
Fantastic, Alan! It's actually not that small. And he does a lot of crying too, so get your tissues out... :lol:
(I have no doubt you can do the accent :D ).
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

Hi TJ!

I see Daisy is already spoken for. If you don't end up doing Jordon, I'd like to claim her :)
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

benderca wrote: January 1st, 2021, 8:07 pm Yes, my plan was to play Nick. How would you like to play Gatsby? You'd be fantastic! All the other male roles are also open. Cadastra will be playing Daisy.
But... if you really want to play Nick, I could be Jordan. That'd be fun for me too (and less work). But, for now... I'll reserve Gatsby for you. :D
(I've tried to script the book to have the narrator's part read by as many people as possible (so I've given lots of paraphrased sections and backstory explanations to the characters themselves, rather than to the narrator -- makes for more exciting drama).
It'd be an honor to play Gatsby! I hope to do you proud. :mrgreen:
Tomas Peter
benderca

Post by benderca »

WiltedScribe wrote: January 1st, 2021, 8:44 pm
benderca wrote: January 1st, 2021, 8:07 pm Yes, my plan was to play Nick. How would you like to play Gatsby? You'd be fantastic! All the other male roles are also open. Cadastra will be playing Daisy.
It'd be an honor to play Gatsby! I hope to do you proud. :mrgreen:
Yay! With a Gatsby of your caliber -- this will be a top-rate production! Thanks, Tomas!
benderca

Post by benderca »

jennlea wrote: January 1st, 2021, 8:42 pm Hi TJ!

I see Daisy is already spoken for. If you don't end up doing Jordon, I'd like to claim her :)
Welcome, Jordan!
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

benderca wrote: January 1st, 2021, 8:49 pm Welcome, Jordan!
Thank you! Looking forward to it!
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Wow, lots of excitement building, as expected. I'll admit, when I read this book in high school, I hated it. When I read it again 6 or 8 years ago, I still disliked it, although I could kind of see what others saw in it. I'm not sure I'll ever really like it...

However, I'm totally willing to MC for you. :D I do need to see the text you're using, though. The link you have here is to The Story Girl. :wink:
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Well, since we both went to that school in New Haven, I'd be willing to take on Tom, if you think I'll fit. Sounds like you're lining up a great cast.
Last edited by silverquill on January 1st, 2021, 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ Larry
NOTE: Traveling without internet until March 17
reecedawg

Post by reecedawg »

I would love to read for Owl Eyes, please and thanks!
"After the dazzle of day is gone,
Only the dark, dark night shows to my eyes the stars;
After the clangor of organ majestic, or chorus, or perfect band,
Silent, athwart my soul, moves the symphony true."
Walt Whitman
retroindiereader

Post by retroindiereader »

Could I read for Mr. Gatz?
~Shaun

Current Solo Projects: