COMPLETE[PLAY]Summer Boarders by Josephine Van Tassel Bruorton - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
wib66

Post by wib66 »

Michele
When you're having what you feel like is a 'bad day' and then someone comes along out of nowhere and extends to you the simplest of kind gestures, you feel it so deeply within your heart.” ―Miya Yamanouchi
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I'm getting started on PLs for stage directions here. My goal is to work through all four acts today.

Todd, did you want the Synopsis read, just after the Dramatis Personae? What about the list of props on the next page?
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I just finished on stage directions for act 1. There are a few corrections to make, mostly having to do with switching up names. My sympathies on this! Some of these scans are difficult enough as is, without confusing abbreviations being used all over the place. :roll: There are a couple of missed lines as well.

Act 1:
2:50 If the Synopsis and Properties are to be read, they should be inserted here.
11:57 This line (p. 11) belongs to Mr. Schultz. I hear, "Mrs. Schultz, to Mangan, patronizingly."
12:20 Missing line, p. 11: "Looking languishly at him."
12:42 Here (p. 12) you have read the abbreviation for the name: "Bar, stopping by Mrs. Wilkins," rather than the full name, as elsewhere: "Barretta."
14:15 This one I'll call OPTIONAL, unless Todd has a strong preference. Again, you've read the abbreviated name (p. 13): "Josh, rising and addressing Mrs. Schultz," rather than "Joshua." But I think that the characters all consistently use his full name, so that might be better.
14:58 This line (p. 13) belongs to Mr. Schultz. I hear, "Mrs. Schultz, rising; angrily."
16:38 Here you have included the name of the character who is about to speak: "Exit right, Barton." This makes it sound like Barton exited, when it was really Mrs. Wilkins. It should just be "Exit, right." (p. 14)
22:01 Wrong name read here, p. 18. It should be: "...or is supposed to set during Barton and Mrs. Wilkins' scene." I hear: "...or is supposed to set during Barretta and Mrs. Wilkins' scene."
22:17 Missing line, p. 19: "Hides."
22:42 Missing line, p. 19: "Aside."
23:03 Misread line, p. 19. Text reads: "Adoniram, peeping out." I hear: "Adoniram goes out."
23:45 OPTIONAL This one might be my ears playing tricks. The line is (p. 20): "He starts toward her imploringly." I hear: "He starts to warn her imploringly."
wib66

Post by wib66 »

mightyfelix wrote: August 27th, 2021, 2:46 pm I just finished on stage directions for act 1. There are a few corrections to make, mostly having to do with switching up names. My sympathies on this! Some of these scans are difficult enough as is, without confusing abbreviations being used all over the place. :roll: There are a couple of missed lines as well.

Act 1:
2:50 If the Synopsis and Properties are to be read, they should be inserted here.
11:57 This line (p. 11) belongs to Mr. Schultz. I hear, "Mrs. Schultz, to Mangan, patronizingly."
12:20 Missing line, p. 11: "Looking languishly at him."
12:42 Here (p. 12) you have read the abbreviation for the name: "Bar, stopping by Mrs. Wilkins," rather than the full name, as elsewhere: "Barretta."
14:15 This one I'll call OPTIONAL, unless Todd has a strong preference. Again, you've read the abbreviated name (p. 13): "Josh, rising and addressing Mrs. Schultz," rather than "Joshua." But I think that the characters all consistently use his full name, so that might be better.
14:58 This line (p. 13) belongs to Mr. Schultz. I hear, "Mrs. Schultz, rising; angrily."
16:38 Here you have included the name of the character who is about to speak: "Exit right, Barton." This makes it sound like Barton exited, when it was really Mrs. Wilkins. It should just be "Exit, right." (p. 14)
22:01 Wrong name read here, p. 18. It should be: "...or is supposed to set during Barton and Mrs. Wilkins' scene." I hear: "...or is supposed to set during Barretta and Mrs. Wilkins' scene."
22:17 Missing line, p. 19: "Hides."
22:42 Missing line, p. 19: "Aside."
23:03 Misread line, p. 19. Text reads: "Adoniram, peeping out." I hear: "Adoniram goes out."
23:45 OPTIONAL This one might be my ears playing tricks. The line is (p. 20): "He starts toward her imploringly." I hear: "He starts to warn her imploringly."
No problem I will get those sorted tomorrow. I did find it a difficult text to read so not a surprise that there are a number of edits. :D
Michele
When you're having what you feel like is a 'bad day' and then someone comes along out of nowhere and extends to you the simplest of kind gestures, you feel it so deeply within your heart.” ―Miya Yamanouchi
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Yes, it is certainly a confusing text, deceptively so! I've become more used to it with each role I PL, but it is tricky. Just be grateful you don't have to decipher all the accents!

Act 2:
5:24 Missing line, p. 27: "Mrs. Bland, nervously."
9:41 Missing line, p. 31: "He glares suspiciously at Joshua."
11:25 You might cut this pause down while you're at it, in between "places it on the table," and "Takes her hand," p. 33.
12:19 We'll want the name here, since it's at the beginning of the line (p. 34): "Miss Wicks, evading him quickly."
14:05 Missing line, p. 36. "Enter Mr. Bland with a small paper bag... ...behind the big chair and listens."
14:43 Again, we need the name at the beginning of the line (p. 37): "Adoniram, snatching the bag."
15:44 OPTIONAL For the sake of consistency, you might want to include the word "Curtain" at the end, as you did at the end of act 1.
wib66

Post by wib66 »

mightyfelix wrote: August 27th, 2021, 3:13 pm Yes, it is certainly a confusing text, deceptively so! I've become more used to it with each role I PL, but it is tricky. Just be grateful you don't have to decipher all the accents!

Act 2:
5:24 Missing line, p. 27: "Mrs. Bland, nervously."
9:41 Missing line, p. 31: "He glares suspiciously at Joshua."
11:25 You might cut this pause down while you're at it, in between "places it on the table," and "Takes her hand," p. 33.
12:19 We'll want the name here, since it's at the beginning of the line (p. 34): "Miss Wicks, evading him quickly."
14:05 Missing line, p. 36. "Enter Mr. Bland with a small paper bag... ...behind the big chair and listens."
14:43 Again, we need the name at the beginning of the line (p. 37): "Adoniram, snatching the bag."
15:44 OPTIONAL For the sake of consistency, you might want to include the word "Curtain" at the end, as you did at the end of act 1.
No problem thank you sorry for the time consuming PL but much appreciated.
Michele
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

All in a day's work! :D

Act 3:
0:55 OPTIONAL Word change, but not really an important one. Your call. Script reads (p. 38): "Points slyly down to Mr. Schultz's foot." I hear: "Points slowly down to Mr. Schultz's foot."
2:56 Missing line, p. 40. "Pauses a moment to note the effect of her words, then, triumphantly."
3:51 OPTIONAL We could probably benefit from a bit more pause here (p. 41) between "Exit, left," and "Sharpe, holding up the pin." With it all strung together, it sounds as if Sharpe is exiting, not the Count.
5:35 Here comes another confusing abbreviation to trip you up. This should be "Enter Mrs. Schultz and Barretta." (p. 44) I hear, "Enter Mrs. Schultz and Barton."
5:50 Again, this should be "Barretta, sighing," not Barton. (p. 45)
5:54 Missing line. "She clasps her hands... ...no further notice of Barretta." (p. 45)
5:55 "Barretta, interrupting," p. 45.
6:05 "Barretta, looking scared," p. 45.
6:26 "Barretta, crying; interrupts," p. 46.
6:35 Should be "Exit Mr. Bland and Barretta, center," p. 46.
9:26 This would be better read as "Barton, eagerly," rather than the abbreviation, Bart (p. 49).
9:33 Same as above. "Barton, haughtily," rather than Bart (p. 49).
11:39 We'll need the name here at the beginning of the line: "Mrs. Wilkins, reluctantly letting herself..." (p. 51)
12:05 You might cut down the pause between "Enter Mrs. Bland, right," and "walks to table..." (p. 51)
15:28 OPTIONAL I think we might want a bit more of a pause between "leans against the door" and "aside." (p. 55) The aside means that Sharpe's next words are spoken as an aside, not that Bland is leaning to the side. At least, that's how I read it.
16:18 Missing line: "Solus." (p. 56)
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Act 4:
2:00 Missing line: "Gloomily." (p. 59)
2:05 We want the name at the beginning of this line: "Arvilla, looking up at him adoringly." (p. 59)
2:29 Word switch. This should be (p. 60) "Count de Musset, dejectedly." I hear "Count de Musset, defectedly." (Is that a word? :hmm: )
3:11 Same as above. Line is (p. 60) "Count de Musset, still dejected." I hear "Count de Musset, still defected."
3:36 Missing line. p. 61: "Shakes his head impatiently."
4:02 OPTIONAL There are some words omitted/substituted, so that we're missing some detail. But it still works. Line is (p. 61) "...as he hurries Arvilla out." I hear "...as he goes out."
5:41 Line here (p. 63) is, "Enter Sharpe and Mr. Schultz, center." I hear, "Enter Sharpe and Mrs. Schultz, center."
5:46 Same as above. "Sharpe, handing Mr. Schultz a small bag," not Mrs. (p. 63)
5:51 And once more. "Mr. Schultz takes bag..." (p. 63)
6:46 Word switch. Line is (p. 64), "Miss Wicks, slyly." I hear, "Miss Wicks, shyly."
8:15 Missing line, p. 65: "Mrs. Schultz, stubbornly."
9:34 We want this name at the beginning of the line: "Mr. Schultz, embracing her and patting her on the back." (p. 66)
10:45 False start here that missed being cut. "Count de Musset takes--"

I didn't realize until now that the characters all line up for their curtain call during this last scene. That's so fun! Kinda stinks for the Bland family, though, and for Mrs. Wilkins and Barton, since they're all gone by now. Well, maybe they get to come back for a final bow when the curtain comes back up? :lol:
wib66

Post by wib66 »

Hi I just want to check that we are reading from the same script as some of the edits are not clear. Are you using the text in the first post or a different one sorry just had a look through and some of it doesn't make sense. :D :D :D
Michele
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Yes, I'm using the one linked in the first post. Can you give me an example of where things aren't clear? It's possible I typed something wrong.
wib66

Post by wib66 »

Act 1
23:03 Misread line, p. 19. Text reads: "Adoniram, peeping out." I hear: "Adoniram goes out." ADO. gº. out). this is how the text appears

Act 4
2:29 Word switch. This should be (p. 60) "Count de Musset, dejectedly." I hear "Count de Musset, defectedly." (Is that a word? :hmm: )

in the text the word is defectedly but I presume it is an error in spelling as like you say I don't think it if a word.
Count (defectedly). Oh, but zat ees eet. Eetees zat I am not a Count at all, my tear leetle lofe.ARV. (disappointedly). Oh I that is too bad | I quite counted on being a countess | But (bravely), I don't care if you ain’t. I shall still be Madame de Musset, and that is ever so much better than being plain Mrs. Adoniram Smith. Count (still defected).

4:02 OPTIONAL There are some words omitted/substituted, so that we're missing some detail. But it still works. Line is (p. 61) "...as he hurries Arvilla out." I hear "...as he goes out."

The line appears in the text as below
(Count turns and waves his hand mockingly as he *:::::Aw. out.)

Sorry not trying to be fussy just want to double check before recording them very much appreciated. :D :D :D
Michele
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Those look to me like OCR errors. Are you reading from the plain text or the images, the actual scans? The plain text is automatically generated and not proof read for accuracy, and therefore can't really be depended on.
wib66

Post by wib66 »

mightyfelix wrote: August 27th, 2021, 7:33 pm Those look to me like OCR errors. Are you reading from the plain text or the images, the actual scans? The plain text is automatically generated and not proof read for accuracy, and therefore can't really be depended on.
Ahh now I see where the problem is mine automatically loads up the plain text and I hadn't realised there were options (doh) thank you for that makes much more sense now. I will get to the edits this weekend.
Michele
wib66

Post by wib66 »

Michele