COMPLETE[PLAY]Summer Boarders by Josephine Van Tassel Bruorton - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Your faith in my skills is misplaced, but I shall try.

Thanks, Todd
wib66

Post by wib66 »

Hi, there might be a delay in the submitting of my sections for this project as I currently have a bad cold which has made my voice very croaky. I get this often and it usually lasts a good two to three weeks before I can record again. I hope this is ok but if you would prefer to re-assign the sections I would fully understand.
Michele
When you're having what you feel like is a 'bad day' and then someone comes along out of nowhere and extends to you the simplest of kind gestures, you feel it so deeply within your heart.” ―Miya Yamanouchi
Eatslugss

Post by Eatslugss »

I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice with editing? I have the newest version of audacity but I keep getting an error message saying it cannot connect to the audio device. I had a similar issue when recording too. It would work fine unless I had to stop recording or stop listening/editing to click into the top menu on my mac, like to open the edit or file tab. Then it gives me the error message and wont let me do anything until I fully close out of audacity and reopen things. It has slowed me down immensely and I cannot seem to figure out why its doing this. I have a Yeti Blue microphone and a mac laptop thats on BigSur 11.4
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I can't help with Mac questions - never seen this problem. Anybody else able to help?

There is a specific forum for Audacity issues: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=40238

Thanks, Todd
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Hmm. I could be wrong, but it sounds like maybe when you click off of it, it loses connection with your mic. I haven't had that problem, but I don't use a Mac, either. Try this: in the menus at the top, go to Transport>Rescan audio devices. You won't see any confirmation message or anything like that, but hopefully that should reconnect your mic and speakers, if that's what's wrong.
MetalFrost66

Post by MetalFrost66 »

I'm new to this but I would like to try out Adoniram. :)

Besides the southern droll I'm picking up off of the source, are there any particular characteristics to the voice you'd be looking for? I have a deep baritone voice and can do North American dialects, but can't promise to completely hide any of the Irish accent that might pang through. :P
Eatslugss

Post by Eatslugss »

mightyfelix wrote: July 12th, 2021, 4:52 pm Hmm. I could be wrong, but it sounds like maybe when you click off of it, it loses connection with your mic. I haven't had that problem, but I don't use a Mac, either. Try this: in the menus at the top, go to Transport>Rescan audio devices. You won't see any confirmation message or anything like that, but hopefully that should reconnect your mic and speakers, if that's what's wrong.
Thank you I will try this! I've posted in the audacity trouble shooting thread before I think but I've never gotten answers
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

MetalFrost66 wrote: July 12th, 2021, 5:25 pm I'm new to this but I would like to try out Adoniram. :)

Besides the southern droll I'm picking up off of the source, are there any particular characteristics to the voice you'd be looking for? I have a deep baritone voice and can do North American dialects, but can't promise to completely hide any of the Irish accent that might pang through. :P
Certainly. Thanks.

Please take the one minute test first. It is not really an audition but an equipment check. Don't want to record something long before you make sure that your equipment is set up properly to give us files we can use!

I have a short summary for the important special rules in drama; here goes:

1) you don't have to read an intro or outro disclaimer, this will be done by the narrator. Instead, record your voice credit at the beginning of the file using the words in the MW, which should be something like: "Adoniram Smith, the hired man, with a fickle heart, read by XXXX" (whatever you use for your reader name)

2) then browse through the text and record all the lines you have to speak. Also include any "All" lines while your character is on stage. For a big role it may be good to read the entire play to get into character, but at least it would be good to read a bit around your lines, see what the others are saying, so you can better "react" to them. Just be as expressive (according to the character) as you can in your role.

3) if there are pointers in the text qualifying your voice, like [laughs] or [whines], an added bonus would be that you act those out in your reading, if possible, to make it all more interesting.

4) You prepare and upload a separate file for each Act that your character is in. (Note - the section numbers change as I move stuff around on the MW, so remember character name, not section numbers.) Your file will be proof-listened, and you may receive some notes on corrections and their time locations in your file. These will be posted in the forum and show in the Magic Window marked as "See PL Notes" - please cut corrections into your file to update it and upload a new file (SAME NAME) in a reasonable time - like before your voice and equipment setup change and everything sounds different!

5) and most importantly: please leave enough space between each of your speeches, preferably 4-5 seconds or more. Even when you have the stage directions in the middle of your speech (for example: [kisses her hand]), also leave 4-5 seconds of pause there, because our editor (me) later on has to copy all your parts and paste them into his (my) master file and it's helpful if he (me) has enough space to fiddle with

That's it, I think. Just have fun acting out. And post any questions here.

Thanks, Todd

Oh, yeah, and you asked for voice characteristics. Here is my stock answer to that:
I very honestly leave choice of accents and characterizations in ANY part up to the reader. One of the key pleasures of running a play here at Librivox is finding out what the various readers have decided is right. Usually some unexpected things, and always different from how I had originally pictured the play on stage myself. So that the completed play is not my vision of what should be, but a truly new and exciting collaborative creation.
MetalFrost66

Post by MetalFrost66 »

Thanks man. I was able to get around to doing a 1 minute test, so here it is if you're happy enough with a voice like this. I can try out recording the lines in the first act when I get some downtime this weekend.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_metalfrost66.mp3
ToddHW wrote: July 13th, 2021, 11:45 am Certainly. Thanks.

Please take the one minute test first. It is not really an audition but an equipment check. Don't want to record something long before you make sure that your equipment is set up properly to give us files we can use!

I have a short summary for the important special rules in drama; here goes:

1) you don't have to read an intro or outro disclaimer, this will be done by the narrator. Instead, record your voice credit at the beginning of the file using the words in the MW, which should be something like: "Adoniram Smith, the hired man, with a fickle heart, read by XXXX" (whatever you use for your reader name)

2) then browse through the text and record all the lines you have to speak. Also include any "All" lines while your character is on stage. For a big role it may be good to read the entire play to get into character, but at least it would be good to read a bit around your lines, see what the others are saying, so you can better "react" to them. Just be as expressive (according to the character) as you can in your role.

3) if there are pointers in the text qualifying your voice, like [laughs] or [whines], an added bonus would be that you act those out in your reading, if possible, to make it all more interesting.

4) You prepare and upload a separate file for each Act that your character is in. (Note - the section numbers change as I move stuff around on the MW, so remember character name, not section numbers.) Your file will be proof-listened, and you may receive some notes on corrections and their time locations in your file. These will be posted in the forum and show in the Magic Window marked as "See PL Notes" - please cut corrections into your file to update it and upload a new file (SAME NAME) in a reasonable time - like before your voice and equipment setup change and everything sounds different!

5) and most importantly: please leave enough space between each of your speeches, preferably 4-5 seconds or more. Even when you have the stage directions in the middle of your speech (for example: [kisses her hand]), also leave 4-5 seconds of pause there, because our editor (me) later on has to copy all your parts and paste them into his (my) master file and it's helpful if he (me) has enough space to fiddle with

That's it, I think. Just have fun acting out. And post any questions here.

Thanks, Todd
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Nice work on Pansy! She is certainly a fast-talking little firecracker, and you brought that out well! I do have some notes on each of these acts, but most of them are spacing issues, where your line is interrupted by stage directions and you forgot to leave a gap. The easiest way to handle this is to copy a few seconds of silence from somewhere in the file. Then you can paste it everywhere it needs to go. I recommend starting at the end, and working your way backwards, up the list of notes. This way, the time stamps don't change, and it's easier to find the spots you need to address.

I should also point out that, while act 1 is fine as far as volume goes, the other three acts are about 10 dB too low, so these should be amplified.

Act 1:
Part of voice credit missing (underlined): "Pansy Pratt, who worships Adoniram, read by..."
0:55-1:05 This appears to be a first take that you meant to cut out. It starts, "There, there, Adoniram..." and cuts off before the end of the line, but then the full line is repeated a few seconds later, so you can cut this one.
1:38 Space here, after "payin' guests."
2:29 Space here, after "so sorry for yew."
2:49 Space here, after "kiss me all the time."
No need for any kind of outro when you're reading a character, by the way, so you can cut everything after 5:05 if you like.

Act 2:
No need for an intro, either, or an second voice credit, so you can also cut everything before 0:30.
0:54 This is a note that I'll want Todd's opinion on. There is a stage direction here (p. 34, "rapturously") where you didn't leave a space. And yet, I think that you captured the rapture of the line perfectly, so I'd imagine we can do without that direction anyway. But I think Todd should be the one to make that decision in the end. What do you think, Todd?
1:46 Space here, after "the likes of her."
3:00 Space here, after "Bob the Boy Detective."
4:10 Space here, after "that's Mr. Bland."
4:39 Space here, after "what they be."
4:41 Space here, after "large ones!"
You can cut everything after 4:50.

Act 3:
Cut everything before 0:15.
0:20 Space here, after "Mr. Sharpe want me to."
0:54 Space here, after "Great silly!"
1:52 Space here, after "I ain't got 'em."
2:05 Here there is a stage direction (Pointing to Adoniram) which I believe we'll definitely need to keep, but you've left no pause at all. This one will probably need to be rerecorded, leaving at least a small gap where you can then paste in a larger space. It's at the bottom of p. 40 and the top of 41.
2:24 Space here, after "make y'rself scarce."
Cut everything after 2:35.

Act 4:
Cut everything before 0:20.
1:31 Space here, after "last of Arvillar Wicks."
1:48 Space here, after "They've eloped!"
1:53 Space here, after "minister merries them."
Cut everything after 3:10. (I like that laugh you put in. I hope Todd can use it!)
Eatslugss

Post by Eatslugss »

mightyfelix wrote: July 17th, 2021, 7:33 pm
Nice work on Pansy! She is certainly a fast-talking little firecracker, and you brought that out well! I do have some notes on each of these acts, but most of them are spacing issues, where your line is interrupted by stage directions and you forgot to leave a gap. The easiest way to handle this is to copy a few seconds of silence from somewhere in the file. Then you can paste it everywhere it needs to go. I recommend starting at the end, and working your way backwards, up the list of notes. This way, the time stamps don't change, and it's easier to find the spots you need to address.

I should also point out that, while act 1 is fine as far as volume goes, the other three acts are about 10 dB too low, so these should be amplified.

Act 1:
Part of voice credit missing (underlined): "Pansy Pratt, who worships Adoniram, read by..."
0:55-1:05 This appears to be a first take that you meant to cut out. It starts, "There, there, Adoniram..." and cuts off before the end of the line, but then the full line is repeated a few seconds later, so you can cut this one.
1:38 Space here, after "payin' guests."
2:29 Space here, after "so sorry for yew."
2:49 Space here, after "kiss me all the time."
No need for any kind of outro when you're reading a character, by the way, so you can cut everything after 5:05 if you like.

Act 2:
No need for an intro, either, or an second voice credit, so you can also cut everything before 0:30.
0:54 This is a note that I'll want Todd's opinion on. There is a stage direction here (p. 34, "rapturously") where you didn't leave a space. And yet, I think that you captured the rapture of the line perfectly, so I'd imagine we can do without that direction anyway. But I think Todd should be the one to make that decision in the end. What do you think, Todd?
1:46 Space here, after "the likes of her."
3:00 Space here, after "Bob the Boy Detective."
4:10 Space here, after "that's Mr. Bland."
4:39 Space here, after "what they be."
4:41 Space here, after "large ones!"
You can cut everything after 4:50.

Act 3:
Cut everything before 0:15.
0:20 Space here, after "Mr. Sharpe want me to."
0:54 Space here, after "Great silly!"
1:52 Space here, after "I ain't got 'em."
2:05 Here there is a stage direction (Pointing to Adoniram) which I believe we'll definitely need to keep, but you've left no pause at all. This one will probably need to be rerecorded, leaving at least a small gap where you can then paste in a larger space. It's at the bottom of p. 40 and the top of 41.
2:24 Space here, after "make y'rself scarce."
Cut everything after 2:35.

Act 4:
Cut everything before 0:20.
1:31 Space here, after "last of Arvillar Wicks."
1:48 Space here, after "They've eloped!"
1:53 Space here, after "minister merries them."
Cut everything after 3:10. (I like that laugh you put in. I hope Todd can use it!)
Oh dang it, I will get those fixed!
jakemalizia

Post by jakemalizia »

Can I take Archie Barton - Sections 4-6?
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd